1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Dangerverse' by Whydoyouneedtoknow - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ched, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Agree with both Taure and Silens. It never fails - I'll have some downtime where I don't feel like going out or anything, and I'll check ffa for updates, and Dangerverse will be at or near the top. I'll say, "Meh, why not," open it up....and then close it after two or three paragraphs in.

This fic is a soggy sack of shit.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Firstly, a lot of unjustified angst from the very beginning with Remus glum over not being able to find Harry.

Bingo, you stupid, worthless fuck. Of course you can't be Harry's guardian. It would be irresponsible of the entire wizarding world to put him with a werewolf. If for one day out of several years he misses the Wolfbane potion Harry's fucked.

Then I realized that this would be the least of this fic's problems.

Fuck you. Fuck you a million times for breaking out something the most contrived contrivance in all my knowledge of fiction, fan and professional alike, without even having the courtesy to clear 1k words before breaking it out.

And then it got worse.

Holy mother of shitballs. Mother of shitballs.

Danger as a nickname is just terrible. Here's the mascot of the "Danger" series, and it's emblematic of the entire series. It's sculpted out of shit, and it's not even a decent-looking statue. The artisan is shit, and the tools are shit.

Which you can see is just retarded. And to add insult to injury, it's not even a good poem. Whatever makes prophecies/sends dreams to people is a shitty poet.

All this on top of the fact that a random OC has Harry, and then runs into Remus Lupin randomly, then has dreams that reveal Wormtail's plot and is someone Remus has no compunction against breaking the law for, despite meeting her for five minutes.

As for the popularity and the apparent "classic" status, it's wretched. It's like the author's taunting the entire rest of the fandom with how terrible he is. I did not expect for this to be this shitty, old fic or not.

WTF fics is appropriate than the Almost Recommendable thread. Someone post it there, where it belongs.

1/5. Austin Powers would be ashamed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Man, I love all of your reviews, Andromalius. So brutally good.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Oh no. Oh no, she didn't. Did she just seriously pull the 1 in 62 million chance card?

There are plot devices, there are contrived plot devices, and then there's that. You know, like when you get a plot idea and discard it instantly? Yeah, it's that one.

And at the second quote we're already past staring in sheer disbelief, and start laughing because it's just that ridiculous. Congratulations, I stopped taking the story seriously after exactly 986(!) words. That has to be a record. I don't even.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I was skeptical from the word "Dangerverse." Not that it stopped me from trying (and failing) to read it, but still.

6. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Heh, I thought I was the only one. Every once and a while I find this fic and think "I really should read this one..." but I never can get past the first few chapters nor can I find it in myself to like the characters.

2/5 Only because the writing is technically sound.

7. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've read worse contrived things in the fanon that deserved a 1/5. This does not. It has plot, characters, and many other things that make a story a story. It is not a good story nor one that I think would sit well with many here, as the exaggerated hate proves.

That said, it does many things right. All of which Cheddartrek has pointed out.

Filter out my own lack of enjoying it, could not quite finish the first part, I'd give it a 3/5.

tl;dr. There's a story there so it doesn't deserve a 1/5, just not a very good one. 3/5.

8. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Which it was, where it was generally regarded as a 3/5 fic, I think.

Anyways, I am also one of the many who decided it had to be better than what it looked like at the beginning, and I tried (failed) to read it multiple times.

All I can remember at this point is that the OCs were lame, and the whole sickly-sweet happy wolf-pack family thing was nauseating. Apart from that I can sort of understand some people liking it - tbh, if it served a good story, the plot devices you quote would only have bothered me mildly.

As it is, it may be Recycle Bin worthy. Or maybe not. 2/5

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember reading some of this when I was a mostly-newbie to fanfiction. I got about as far as the prophecy, I think, but what really sticks in my head as a massive dose of pure, unleaded shit was the 'Curse of the Righteous', which was cast on the Dursleys for their treatment of Harry and had never worked before. Fuck that shit. Harry's childhood may not have been the best out there but god fucking damn he wasn't anywhere near as bad off as some of the children out there. It's a sack of shit and I hate it even now.

10. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I remember reading this a few years ago. I don't remember it being too bad, but then that was when I was still in the throes of my "H/G is so cute, soulbonds are awesome, etc" stage, so maybe it isn't quite as good as I remember it. That being said, I did get through it, which means that it is at least grammatically sound and has a plot (I did have some standards back then), which makes it better than at least half the fics out there.

Andro: Pretty much any story has contrived plot devices. Look at Shezza's Denarian series: the guy carrying Meciel just happens to be in Surrey, at the mall that Harry doesn't normally cut through (but he's cutting through today), and the coin just happens to land near Harry (though this may actually be Meciel's influence, so you don't have to count it) when he is feeling particularly pissed off at God and the world. Compared to that, Remus happening upon Harry at a park isn't particularly contrived. Remus knew that he was at least in England.

I'll give it an average 3/5.

11. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

If I could give this -20,000 I would. At one point, they become the Partridge family, complete with Ron at the drums, Ginny singing and Luna and Draco on piano. Oh, and Lupin plays the violin.

*vomit*

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No. As I said, there are plot devices, contrived plot devices, and then there's this. Not even touching on the cheap excuse that because other stories have contrivances too, it's alright here or in general, this one is bad, and the author should feel bad. And what's worse, it also shows a ginormous laziness: there are any number of way Remus could've found Harry, and all of them are better than Remus sitting in a random park that just happens to be visited by Harry, when there are a hundred thousand playgrounds and 62 million people.

One only has to invest a little time of thinking to come up with better. She apparently couldn't be fucked to, even though it is the foundation of the story, and thus every bit of criticism is warranted.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Something to keep in mind: The first story in this series was written back in 2004, when there was about 3 good Fanfics in all of HP fandom, which I think consisted of about 60-70 thousand stories at the time.

They were all shit, and this was just a contrived cliche in the making.

Now with all of that aside. I got about halfway through the first story and couldn't take anymore, back then. I'm just not a gigantic fan of Mary Sue... I'm sorry, I mean Danger.

This story is an acquired taste that I never acquired.

14. Simon13

Simon13 Muggle

I remember starting to read this story when I was in a mood for something sappy and romantic. Midway through the second story it got just so ridiculous I couldn't stand it.

It's just full of unnecessary crap, the founders, extra powers, secret rooms and prophecies. Just... meh.

I does have some redeeming qualities at times, which make me think it doesn't deserve 1/5. There is plenty of much worse stories out there. Does it deserve to be recycled? Tough call. From me personally 2/5.

15. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I read one of the stories when it first came out, but it's just boring after a while. I for one don't want it here. I'd rate this a 2/5 for having good grammar and shit like that.

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

So do you look like your avatar or not ? D8

17. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

If she does, she sure is purdy! :awesome

18. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

2/5

It may have deserved the Recycling Bin four years ago. But now, no. Even the Recycling Bin's standards have (mostly) gone up since then.

This is the kind of story I wouldn't mind reading if I was 15-16 year old, and completely new to fanfiction.

19. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Fixed that thar.

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'm gonna chime in on the side that says 'WTF is this shit'. As was said, the suddenly meeting someone carrying Harry who was able to suddenly make everything better? It made me rage. Point of fact, the existence of Danger made me rage.

I've tried to read this story before, I really have. But then I get to Danger and my common sense kicks in and slaps me back to sanity.

1/5