1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Denarian Knight by Shezza88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rehio, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's a good question. I liked the scene, though I'm unsure how it could fit into the storyline now, since we're past the heavy character development arc and into the proper action (or at least we will be in DL). Still, if Shezza goes with it I'm sure he'll pull it off well and it will fit into the story easily enough. I'm with envy in that he'd have to pull a JKR to get me to hate this story :p.

Now for my question: Are we going to have to wait for DL to start as you plan out what's going to happen?

2. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Reread it... tis awesome. ignore earlier comment.. just woke up when I read it the first time.

Still best chapter ever!

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Any time the 'prophecy' is brought up, I'm always reminded of THIS post I made on the subject.

4. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I'm going to have to disagree with that post. Its fannon assumption that Lily performed a ritual or something. Never actually happened according to cannon.. though that doesn't say much.

As to Voldemorts death... It's pretty much confirmed that voldemort never died...

Severely crippled beyond normal means, yeah, but not technically dead.

Hence prophecy was only partially completed.

Though I'm still unclear on the power he had not in cannon. If it's Love then Fuck it, its lame.

If it's master of death, then a little intriguing.

5. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

If the last part was fulfilled or not can only be answered with the "right" definition of "dead".
    Dead like in body is destroyed or dead as in body AND soul is destroyed?
    The Horcruxs make the whole thing a lot more confusing and it can be interpreted in both ways.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, I have no idea why I wrote this, but I felt like writing a DK Omake, so here it is. It's not really that good at all. Rather boring, in fact, until the very end, which is what I wanted to write about, but needed a way to get there: a way which turned out to be rather dull, IMO.

Oh well.

----------------------------------------------------

It was a rare occasion whenever I had something exciting to do.

He sent me to observe often, and sometimes even to deliver a message, but the will to act – this was an uncommon privilege. I couldn’t remember the last time He allowed me to stretch my wings.

Well, that was a lie. I could remember: Sanya was such an odd man, he’d be hard to forget. I remembered everything, even unto the dawn of time itself. But it is a figure of speech. With the amount of observing I do, it’s inevitable that I pick up some of the mortals’ words.

Not that I’m complaining, of course. His Will is my will, and He holds all things in his hands. The Plan and all that.

But this day – this day I had been given a task. A simple one, certainly, but a task nonetheless. Keep the girl alive. Save the Cheerleader, save the world.

Wait, no. That’s not right.

Don’t worry, you’ll get it in a couple of years.

My task was to keep the Carpenter girl alive. He smiled upon her, it seemed, and she had yet to play her part. Her time was yet to come, and so she was to be kept alive. The Almighty had commanded it, and so it would be.

And so I waited, deep within the rock of the Earth, invisible to mortal eyes. All around me high shelves reared upwards, extending into the darkness that concealed the cavernous ceiling of this place. Here was kept the prophesies of the people of Merlin. I could feel their power around me, stretching through time like a rope in a stream, delicate, as if a wave would wash them away. Prophesies had great power, but they were also very fragile. The moment you stopped believing in them, the thread that held them together broke. Well I knew the power of Faith, and of Faith misplaced.

A lesser being may have got impatient waiting here in this dark place, but His strength burned within me, and I did not falter in my duty. I would wait for the girl, here, where I knew she would be.

And so she came. She was not alone. Five others came with her, all of them of similar age, and yet all of them marked by fate. Great things were to happen around these children. I had to resist the urge to whisk them all of to safety there and then. Free will is a nuisance sometimes, but He knows what He’s doing, I’m sure.

“Here we are,” one of them - a boy - said quietly. He was the one called Neville. I saw him and felt pity, for I knew what had befallen his parents. As they talked amongst themselves, my eyes quickly found Amanda, and I went to stand behind her right shoulder, as is proper. It did not take long for the servants of Darkness to appear.

“I don’t think that’s for you to decide, mudblood,” a cruel voice uttered from the shadows, materialising from under a veil. The speaker’s voice was cultured and civilised, but I could feel the darkness tainting this man. His companions appeared behind him, each as stained as the next, their souls dirty from Dark magic and evil acts.

It would not be long until I was needed. I would let the girl try her best, and when she failed, I would intervene. I looked forlornly at the others. I had no instructions to save them. He knows what He is doing, though. They each have their own place, and it is not mine to question.

I felt a shiver of fear from the girl as she discovered that she had been tricked, and I rested my hand on her shoulder. It seemed to give her strength.

“Depuli Conluxi!” she shouted, raising her wand. A powerful – relatively speaking, of course – shield formed around the children and exploded outwards, throwing the Death Eaters off their feet and beginning a trail of destruction that was to destroy thousands of prophesies, preserved throughout the centuries meticulously by the wizards who worked here.

Oh well. I wasn’t much a fan of them anyway.

Despite the girl’s impressive magic, it was clear that her adversaries were not threatened by it, and the girl made the wise decision.

“Run!” she shouted, even as she turned to flee herself, and I kept close to her, able to keep up easily. She did not seem to notice when she separated from her friends, nor did she see until too late the dangerous witch who had caught up with her.

“Crucio!” the Dark witch screeched, and I readied myself to break the curse, its magic slimy and evil, but the girl surprised me again by dodging behind the next row of the corridor, returning fire, but to no avail.

It was rather frustrating really. If the girl would just lose her fight, I could save her and be gone from this place.

But the girl refused to give up. Her determination was admirable, even if her spells were beginning to get Darker. With a final great effort, the girl shot off a powerful silver curse and turned to run once more. We passed through the room of Revolving Doors, but my heart fell as she turned through a door that led her straight into another Death Eater.

Amanda had not seen him until too late.

“Crucio!” the wizard shouted, and Amanda was immediately hit with the curse, on the floor, injured, and writhing in pain. The time was now. I went forward to help her, but stopped a moment before touching her. Somewhere, deep down within me, something was telling me that it was not yet the time. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I was not able to save her yet, but I could lend her strength. Gathering my will, I raised my hand and made a swiping motion through the air by her head, as if pulling something from the air. The curse weakened for a moment, and that moment was enough: she was able to get above the pain, to think and to react. But her reaction was what surprised me. With a cry of fury, the girl thrust her wand out, and that fury became cursed fire, spewing from her wand with a roar, as Dark a magic as any I had seen that night.

What was the daughter of a Knight, a child of light and goodness, doing in knowing such magic? I was so shocked that for a moment I was beyond action: I merely stood there, watching as the fire spread, evil shapes dancing within it. A particularly nasty looking raven tried to dive at me, but I brought a shining white wing in front of me subconsciously and swatted it out of the air like a fly.

Slowly I came back to myself. This changed nothing. He wanted her saved, and saved she would be. It was not my place to question.

I leant down to pick up her huddled form, ready to tear apart the curtain separating this world from the next, but once again I was thwarted in my task: this time not by the call of instinct, but by the wall behind me exploding inwards.

I responded as soon as I felt the Hellfire. My wings curled around me like a cocoon, and the debris from the explosion smashed upon them like waves upon hard rock. As the explosion cleared, I drew my wings far apart and raised my hand, ready to strike down the Fallen as I had beforetime began.

But then I paused. The Denarian had not seen me, nor felt my presence. It was the Potter boy, consort of demons and worse. Within him I could feel the Fallen, that ancient malevolent presence, wreathed in fire and hate. Meciel, I knew her to be, and I let my arm fall to my side, memories from long ago filling my thoughts.

She had not always been like this, filled with hate and rebellion. Once she had served Him as I do, graceful and powerful, the pride of all of heaven. Her beauty was matched by none, and her joy was so strong you could taste it in her aura.

But her joy became too much. She revelled in the moral men, and enjoyed his creation too much, taking it as her own. When the Morning Star fell into shadow, she was one of the first to follow. Sweet Meciel, now a being of flame and hatred and seduction.

I could not strike her.

Though that might have had more to do with the Sword on Potter’s back, practically glowing with holy power. How he became I Knight I shall never know.

Her host had controlled the cursed flame – impressive, though not surprising – and had woken Amanda. They were apparently on good terms. I frowned. That explained things a bit more.

They quickly left the scene of the fight and I followed, more cautious now. The Fallen had not yet sensed my presence, but I would have to be vigilant.

We were not walking for long before I felt two more Fallen approaching, the weight of their twisted minds echoing through the Earth. Meciel left to deal with them. I stayed with Amanda as she joined up with three of her friends. They were mostly unharmed. Nevertheless, I intended to stay with them: the girl was not out of danger yet.

But once again, my intentions were interrupted. I could feel another calling on my being. I was required elsewhere in this building. Amanda was safe now – or at least as safe as she was going to be.

I had plenty of time. I stood with the young ones for a little longer, just in time to see more Death Eaters round the corner and begin the chase once more. But I longer was called to help. I let the children run, and watched as the Death Eaters sped after them. The children would be alright. The Lord would see to it.

Meanwhile, I had places to be. Turning back the way I came, I walked back, retracing my footsteps. The Potter boy was doing quite well against the Fallen, but I would expect no less of a Knight of the Cross. As I passed by, the sword lit up with particular radiance, just as the boy pulled it from its cane. Silver fire filled the air and Sammerial was burnt by its ever increasing holy fire.

I continued on my way. It was not to Meciel that I was being called. I reached the room of revolving doors and ambled out of the Department of Mysteries. I had ten minutes of mortal time before I was needed. I was heading towards the Atrium, where a strong presence was pulling my attention.

As I approached the Atrium, I knew I was in perfect time. The Lord provides, as always. I could hear the sounds of fighting, and could feel the power being thrown around in the room. These were no mere students of magic.

I looked around. Meciel was in a fight with another Denarian, apparently having dispatched the previous two. Impressive, but not where my calling was. It was to the two wand wizards that my mind bent. They were both extraordinarily strong wizards, one as Dark as any man I had seen; the other shined with an inner light that reminded me slightly of heaven. But this man – Dumbledore – he had been tainted too, long ago. Those kinds of marks stay with you forever.

But it was to Dumbledore I was called.

The Dark one had raised his wand, and darkness spread throughout the room like a plague, infecting everything, casting shadow where it had no right to be. The darkness gathered around Voldemort, and I could feel it coming just as Dumbledore could: the darkness shot towards him, lethal and corroding. There were few spells that could stand against such darkness.

Apparently Dumbledore knew one of them. He moved quicker than I would have thought possible, and called out three words, their significance making my eyes widen. The Psalm of Ar’uck’shei.

Even as he said the words, Dumbledore turned ever so slightly towards me and looked me straight in the eye. He had seen me. Time seemed to slow, and I knew why I was here, why I had been called to this place. It was to answer the Psalm.

Still looking into Dumbledore’s eyes, I called up my power, pure holy strength, brought forth by my will and those three holy words, and lent it to his. The effects were instantaneous. A golden light flooded the Atrium, and an overbearing sense of strength emanated from Dumbledore. The power of an Archangel is nothing to be sniffed at.

Voldemort’s spell, a moment ago so powerful, never stood a chance. The Psalm, powered by both Dumbledore’s power and mine own, ripped the darkness to pieces, shredding it as only light and can pierce darkness.

With the final word of the Psalm, the golden power shot towards Voldemort, and though he tried to shield himself in black shadow it might as well have been paper: the holy light tore that to pieces too, and Voldemort was sent flying across the wide hall.

That he was not defeated was a testament to his strength.

Still looking at me, Dumbledore made a small nod of his head and turned back to his foe, staring him down with a Faith in himself that only gave him more power.

I smiled; my time here was over. I had helped the girl, though I hadn’t needed to save her, and I had been in the right place at the right time to fight against the Darkness.

It had been my most exciting day in almost a hundred years.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Excellent Taure, excellent.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world." That needs to go, detracts from the mood of the whole thing. Made me cringe :p

But the rest was very epic. Great omake.

8. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought this was an injection of humor at a good point to be honest. It made me laugh a bit then it got down to the important plot heavy thing.

9. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Should be classmates I think.

Should be your.

Great. The bit with Harry having to come back in for the sword made my day. All 49 minutes of the new day but still it made my day. Harry has learned patience from his last two years I agree and he really needed it.

Dumbledore sees Harry in the same way as Amanda does. Harry has fallen to the deepest darkness (literally). But he has not become evil. He is still a good person at heart who uses the darkness as his weapon. Thomas Raith is basicly the same he uses the monster within and his own darkness to help Dresden.

-----------------
    On the epilogue.

Amanda MIGHT? take him up on that offer?

So off to Hawaii. Then its back to work.

10. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Hey. All of chapter 33 is up, and the epilogue will be up in a bit as well. It's quite short.

Taure: Fan-fucking-tastic. I loved your omake, especially seeing the actions and interaction of the other characters from a different Point of View. Your theory about the Psalm of whatever is actually pretty cool. I had planned on doing something more with it in Denarian Lord, and with a littel bit of adjustment your theory slots in well. Here, have a cookie. Do you mind if I post it on FF.Net, just as a little one-shot. Hmm, maybe I should gather all of the omakes as a story thread.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Go for it.

/me eats Shezza's cookie.

Nuhuh: I know what you mean. That sentence got deleted and retyped many times as I debated including it. In the end I decided to stick with it in true DK fashion: humour in places you least expect it.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Hey wait a second. Was the Hawaii part the epilogue?

13. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Probably not. I think the epilogue will BE Hawaii, so that Shez can set up the sequel during Harry's downtime.

Awesome stuff, Shezza. The ending kicked all sorts of ass, and it also showcased how Harry has become a bit more mature than he was at the beginning. It's a mark of talent that you can show us not only that the Anti-Hero won, but he also grew and learned throughout the story. It makes DK Harry that much more alive.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see... a completely ass-kicking scion... in Harry's future... and a cop chick.

15. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    A point in interest for the future of this trilogy for me seems to be the fate of Amaris and whether or not whe will choose her Fae side or her human half. How that impacts how Harry will deal with Maeve in the future will also play a part.

Also I am interested in seeing the reactions of the two other Knights of the Cross to the DOM episode. Amanda was injured, so Michael will be concerned about that. But he really can't blame Harry totally, as Amanda is a big girl and went into danger on her own. But the fact that Harry killed 2 Denarians, including Vesper, who was a major player should be of extreme interest.

A reaction with Ron, Ginny, Neville, Hermione, Luna, and Amanda to seeing Harry in action and kicking all kinds of ass in an epic way that makes them look less than amateurs would be welcome.

I wouldn't mind seeing a meeting of the White Council in reaction to the DOM as well. I was surprised that Dresden didn't say that Harry was a Knight of the Cross when Harry was on trial by the Council. That would have given them pause or shocked them, I would think.

Moving on, a final meeting involving the Denarians, addressing the new threat of their old enemy, Meciel, and her host's status as a Knight would be welcome. The Denarians speculating on how such a thing is possible would be sweet. Also, hopefully, the question of why exactly do the Denarians hate Meciel so much and vice versa will finally be answered.

Good job, Shezza. But the streets is watchin'.

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    He did, IIRC.

But yeah, those suggestions sound like cool scenes.

17. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Thanks Taure, found it. But the rest of my recommendations still apply. Harry and Amaris have some fun in the sun, but Harry's allies and enemies plan and plot, for good or for ill...

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hadn't even thought of that. Damnit.

Anyone remember the timeline in regards to all of this? Where are we in the Dresden books?

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well, we're definitely post-Grave Peril, since the war with the Red Court is going on. Probably a fair bit further on in the series, since Dresden was on a raid on a Red Court safehouse.

20. Modgudr

Modgudr First Year

Damn, you folks make me want to read the actual series; and on that note - congrats Shezza on making your writing accessible to even the Great Unwashed