1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Difference One Can Make by joen1801 - M - HP/ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Blandge, Jul 16, 2015.

1. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This fic is little more than a guilty pleasure.

The combination of a main character that essentially converts or curb stomps everything in his path, bland secondary characters, and a narrative that reads like a RTS game, leaves me with a fic that is, in all honesty, entirely unremarkable.

I give it a 2/5.

What I find amazing is that this fic manages to rate as highly as it does here on DLP. I would have really expected it to be rated into the dirt here.

2. syed

syed Supermod

We know the magic of the children can block harry, so the magic of the others used directly might be able to over whelm him. His magical fire while powerful, are no match to an ice storm, and his protections against the cold can not affect the magical cold the white walkers bring. They are kind of magical super zombies. If harry cant pull a direct magical stomp, then his weapons and fortified settlements and the wall will be far more important to the war effort.

3. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I take back what I said, you make my day sometimes.

4. syed

syed Supermod

The children helped to build the wall, why has harry never asked them how they did it, or about the secrets of dragon glass and steel? I am not saying he is building his own wall, but key locations secured by having the similar defences would greatly aid a campaign.
    The wall blocks magical transport, so I wonder if they will mess with arch ways as well. And due to distance issues, at most a carefully positioned one could reach bear island or those ones located near skagosi. Having secure lines of possible retreat or logistics would be important. If that free city is going to be such important trade ally, buying a house/ warehouse and linking to it would be important.
    I wonder if harry could recruit mountain clans from the vale, offer them new homes in the mountains of the North, or simply arm them for their conflicts. Linking their distant mountain settlement, together, then allowing to move and raid less hindered. They could also, link them to those islands the vale took from the north. Force the andalos to Sen duties men to retake the islands, then raid on their homes while they are away.
    I had this idea that harry could encourage the growth of weirwoos in the south, but some nobles simply have a stone tree. I wonder if harry could make his own version to sell, that allows the power of the old gods to flow through it as if it was a true heart tree.

5. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

the first part actually made some sense.

6. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

But it's all one part, one giant wall-of-text part.. :(

7. syed

syed Supermod

The children tower in the neck already touched by their power, if harry helps to rebuild it, it would be a way to help secure the North and be used as a fall back position.

8. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

So this updated again and while I agree it's far from the best written thing, even in this section, I enjoy it. Canon Harry Potter has moments that are magical, but for all the superficial trappings it's in a mundane world. It's cool to see large scale magic, it becomes epic just through the size. To use a car analogy, an A8 might be a nicer than a rice burner in almost all ways but the cheap civic with the header and intake might beat it 0-60. This story is doing one thing well and that's enough.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This fic is terrible. The core concept is workable, but plot, characters, and execution are all rubbish. If the author seemed to seriously consider the realities and troubles of building/changing a settlement, let alone a civilization, culturally, economically, politically, militarily, or technologically then I could perhaps forgive its plot and characterisation failings... but he doesn't.

He writes the advancement of the free folk like he's playing a 4X video game with cheats on.

Nothing about this fic is attractive except for its potential which is entirely wasted.

10. syed

syed Supermod

The thing is harry could potentially become very powerful simply by the fact he has the resurrection stone, he could ask masters of their craft how to do spells and rituals. If he used the Weirwood trees to contain the knowledge, he could have better access to it. I can see him using the weir wood network as a giant wand, possibly as the anchor for spells.

11. Darth Tarded

Darth Tarded Squib

Odran and Yak have expressed the negatives of the story pretty concisely. There's just no real conflict in the story and Harry is ridiculously OP. Although, I do like the flow of the writing. It's probably a bad thing that I like how this Harry goes about "fixing" the lurking threat in ASOIAF, you know, while he's fixing everything else. I just wish there was more GOT/HP crossovers, that were better than this. The author does update fairly decently. And that's probably why I'll follow it till it finishes... while cxjenious finishes his much better story.

One different criticism of the story is Harry's personality. It's absolutely grating to me how perfect of a husband/partner he is and how that seems to be highlighted in all of his interactions with his wife and well, everyone. I might be overly too sensitive to this peeve. I want a good story. If it has decent romance in it, so be it. No one needs a sappy how to book on idealized social interaction.

12. syed

syed Supermod

The thing is he could become equally powerful if he had no training but simply arrived with only the hollows. Summoning the shades could allow access to whole worlds of magic. If he summoned an expert in pensieves and magical portraits , he could use that to speed up his capability. He would still be more powerful, but not a world power just yet.

13. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

The Difference One Man Can Make has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 287,950
    Updated: 2022-08-16 20:08:09 UTC
    Published: 2015-03-22 23:21:26 UTC
    Previously updated: over 1 year ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

14. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Well that's a blast from the past.

15. DvorkaM

DvorkaM Squib

Interesting read. It does suffer from too powerful Harry whose key (and only) weaknesses are the lack of omnipresence and omniscience, because as fas as challenges go he might as well be omnipotent and can outsmart and outthink anyone. Maybe if he was not the main character, but a semi-unreliable demigod he is, who sometimes turns up when needed, but you cannot rely on it, it would generate more suspense.

The writing quality I think improves tremendously over the years. When I started, it felt rather clunky, but as it went it got to a point, where it was no longer an issue.

Despite all that, I did binge it in a week because I wanted to know what happens, this overarching suspense about the world events (if not necessarily personal archs) is actually quite gripping. Who will ally with who, who will go to war with who, how will the ripples of Harrys action effect the known story. Sort of meta suspense I guess.

16. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 23
    Words: 299,410
    Updated: 2022-09-03 15:01:07 UTC
    Previously updated: 18 days ago

17. Xion

Story Stats
    Words: 299,470
    Previously updated: less than a minute ago

18. Xion

Story Stats
    Words: 299,580
    Previously updated: less than a minute ago