1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Everyoung Dragon by cyrileom - ASOIAF - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Halt, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: The Everyoung Dragon
    Author: cyrileom
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Pairings: Daena Targaryen / SI Daeron Targaryen
    Summary: SI into Daeron Targaryen (The Young Dragon) during the War of Dornish Subjugation.
    Link: Spacebattles

This is different from your typical SI fic in that it's written from the PoV of his sister (who wants to bang him), not the SI himself. Reads like a slowburn Targ incest, but is surprisingly done well.

No grievous tech uplifts---while the occasional canal might be mentioned offhand, it's more a throwaway comment than anything focused in on and can largely be ignored for all that it impacts the story which is a huge plus. Mostly the draw is watching Daena try (and fail) to bang her brother, until she doesn't.

Targs gonna Targ amirite.

Good for anyone who hates those Dornish cunts, and likes the pre-canon history of ASOIAF. Decent technical writing.

While abandoned, it's ended in a place that doesn't leave much in terms of loose threads.

4/5.

2. Alkaraz

Alkaraz First Year

Really enjoyed this. It’s an enjoyable take on the Young Dragon’s conquest and while we don’t get to see too many of the real ripples occur due to it being abandoned, the way things were executed is more than enough for a nice story. It suffers from only having Daena really interact with Daeron, Aemon, and Viserys, but I find it still works and is certainly library worthy. 4/5

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Four votes and 1 review.

Again, we can do better than this.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Eh fine. It's a self insert but it avoids being shit like all the others due to the protagonist not being the insert. Instead it's just an interesting fic about kicking the shit out of the Dornish cunts. It's been awhile since I read it so I can't be too detailed but one of the things that stand out in memory as annoying me is the oft used warrior woman cliche of giving them a bow as if it's an equalizer. A trope used by idiotic authors of both fanfiction and well regarded published fiction that have never tried drawing a bow that isn't of modern design negating the need for the tremendous strength needed to fire an arrow over a distance and have it puncture something harder than a bundle of straw.

I gave it a 4/5 because standards are low for asoiaf fanfiction.

5. ronin11

ronin11 First Year

Not all that impressive, honestly. Author is not much of a writer (too much tell, not enough show) and the character through whose eyes we watch the events is a pretty boring person with a handful of interests and desires. The one-dimentional mentorship between her and SI used to progress the story turns into a romantic relationship without much romance in it. Plot is not very engaging because SI doesn't face any true challenges (as is often the case).

Still let's give credits where they're due, the story is not about dealing with the Long Night which makes it different than 95% of ASoIaF self-inserts and the SI is a just regular guy who doesn't have the knowledge to turn Westeros into industrial superpower in a few years (also unlike the 95% of ASoIaF self-inserts out there).

3/5