1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Favour by mrs.milfoy - M

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Genghiz Khan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Title: The Favour
    Author: mrs.milfoy
    Rating: Fiction M
    Genre: Humour/Romance
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 15,006
    Updated: August 24, 2016
    Published: July 3, 2014
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Narcissa
    Summary: Harry agrees to do a favour for Draco Malfoy - with delightful results for Draco's mother. Guilty pleasure Harrissa in two acts.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10503844/1/The-Favour

Note: It hasn't been marked as finished on ff.net, but the author writes in an AN at the end of the second chapter that they consider it finished.

This is a post-DH story which doesn't respect the epilogue. Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter aren't really friends per se, but they kinda respect each other. And then Malfoy comes to Harry with a request which he decides to accept to. A slightly humourous romance between Harry Potter and Narcissa Malfoy follows.

I stumbled across it while randomly searching for stories. Good tales featuring Narcissa and Harry are not common, so I decided to give it a shot. 'Twas perfect for wasting 10 minutes of my time. I was entertained and humoured. Harry is slightly OOC, but given that this is ~5 years post-DH I decided to cut the author some slack. I liked the Harry and Draco interactions, and though I felt that the Harry/Narcissa bit was a bit forced, it was believable enough that I could suspend my disbelief and merely enjoy the story.

The story aims to be a bit of a guilty pleasure, which it succeeds in being. No obvious mistakes jumped out at me in the writing, and the story is short enough that the character development shown is good enough. I'm gonna give it a 4.5/5, rounded down to a 4 for its good entertainment value.

Checked by Sorrows 05/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  2. James

James Unspeakable

My enjoyment of this, however short it is is, merits 4/5.

3. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yeah, easy 4/5.

Very enjoyable. Give it a go.

4. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    mrs.milfoy (like, really?) does what she(?) intended with this story. It was entertaining while it lasted and certainly worth the read.

Definitely 4/5.

5. Verovir

Verovir Disappeared

High Score:
    It was pretty good. Was it good enough for me to justify giving 4/5? Probably yes, but it feels unfinished. It ended rather abruptly. If author adds more chapters, I will think about increasing the rating, but as the story stands, 3/5.

6. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Barely any of the characters felt much like their canon selves, but I didn't mind a bit. It's a well enough written little run through a fairly cliched plot, but full of nice one liners and comedic beats. 4/5

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's alright. A bit clunky in some bits, but amusing for the most part. I thought the move to actual romance in chapter two was a bit rushed though.

3/5

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This was pretty good. I like that the author just ignored any pretense of diversionary tactics as to the point of the story. The banter was pretty good (though Draco could have been slightly better) and it was a pretty entertaining story that fulfilled whatever goal the author had. 4/5

9. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    Wow. Yeah, not what I was expecting.
    Perfect for a light fluffy story with a decent touch of banter.

4/5 for brilliant entertainment value.

10. EuclidWriter

EuclidWriter Muggle

Short and sweet. The banter flows well, and humor isn't heavyhanded and executed well.

I didn't know what to expect from this pairing, but I really like this story. The author executed it well, and he makes it believable.

The Ginny scene was a bit clunky and disconcerting, but it is minor in the overall scale of enjoyment of the story.

4.5/5 -> 5/5

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I happened to be rereading this earlier today, so imagine my surprise when it popped up in new posts. I enjoyed Harry and Draco's rapport, and the relationship between Harry and Narcissa was well handled. Nobody was caricatured, and it served as a simply enjoyable piece of fluff.

4/5.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Charming and fun, was entertained throughout the story. Not a memorable masterpiece or anything but a fun reread that I can see myself revisiting in the future.

4/5

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It has its merits. As others have said, the banter was good. More importantly, it was refreshing. There wasn't a lot in the banter that I'd seen before, at least not done in that way. Not that it was so different, but it really fit the characters and felt natural. I also liked the spin on Draco. He's still a bit of a prick, but more out of inertia than anything else, and he's written well enough that it comes across well, but so does his genuine affection for his future wife, his mother, and even his strained respect for Harry.

Library worthy? I really don't think oneshots belong in the library, at least not this short. However, that's not my call. So, since they are, this one belongs with them. 4/5, marked down mainly for some poor spelling/grammar in only a couple of areas. In other areas, the writing soars a bit, which was nice to see as well.

14. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I really liked this story, especially the portrayal of Narcissa. Good banter, and I could even stomach Draco's role in it. 4/5.