1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Fire that Swallowed the World by RowlettLesbian - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Majube, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Fire that Swallowed the World
    Author: RowlettLesbian
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Horror
    Pairings: Gen
    Summary:
    Basically, real fem!harry is dead, and it's a fire elemental using the body. We see how 'Harriet' deals with Hogwarts stuff. I like all the mythical elements and how people close to her freak out when they start to unravel her true nature.

This fic surprisingly grew on me throughout reading it even though I thought it was weird shit at first. It's like a crack fic played straight.

I'd give it a 4/5.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  2. oakgem217

oakgem217 First Year

You forgot the link

3. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    fixed it, thanks

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This is... odd/different, I'll give it that.

I read all of it. It's engaging enough and different enough, but it's still not amazing.

It feels a bit like some of Carnivorous Muffin's stuff. The most similar story of theirs would probably be When Harry Met Tom. Both stories feature Fem!Harry who doesn't know enough (or care enough) about social norms. But for all that it feels a bit similar they're very different stories.

The main issue I have with this story is the lack of a plot. What's happened here is basically... a poorly socialized (non-human) version of Harry goes to Hogwarts and it's interesting. But Harry doesn't seem to have a goal or any desires beyond eating things and acquiring knowledge and exploring new places. There's no driving plot. This is just watching canon happen again with the change that this Harry is VERY different.

It's a guilty pleasure fic for me. An easy 3/5 that might claw up to a 4/5 if a plot or something interesting appears.

5. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Just a short review, but Ched covered most of what I think is good to know before reading this story. I just liked it more than they did.

I really enjoyed this story, more than anything else I've read recently. I feel like the Genre in the OP is off; what kept me engaged and entertained was the humor and it's pretty constant. In the sea of AO3 tags, there's "Humor and and Fluff" and that is the best way to describe this fic in three words. The interactions between Harriet and Draco are a highlight for me, for example the passage where Harriet describes Draco's speeches (chapter 6, 4th paragraph).

4/5 I think, would be 5/5 if it was much longer (or finished).

6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Echoing the above - it's a comfy story, quite whimsical, and I enjoy it. But the plot sort of just still happens in the background, and Harriet is there too. If you don't enjoy the second or third chapters, you probably won't like the rest.

I'd love to be able to give this a 4/5, but it (currently) feels a bit lacking in the plot area to do so, so sticking on a 3/5 for now, with potential for more in time.