1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Five Guys Shit Storm...

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I don't understand.

It's just a vicious cycle. Don't give attention to these people and they will go away. Legitimate "social" concerns can't be so easily swept under the rug and will resolve themselves in time; appealing to the egos of these people does nobody any favors, whether you support "diversity in games" or not.

Also, that blog is just one big tl;dr "lol i had a girlfriend and she broke up with me" - how can someone write so much ado about nothing?

As for being hypocritical - I think it's inherently difficult to abide by any "social awareness" in any serious matter in life. The recent matters in Liberia come to mind - if you have an experimental drug that can stop ebola, do you give it to "rich white western doctors treating ebola and have been infected themselves by trying to treat ebola patients" or do you give to "poor black non-western villagers who have been infected with ebola"? Either way, you're labeled a racist - you're either preventing the poor and needy from receiving care, or you're experimenting on them by giving them untested but maybe life-saving drugs. Almost any racist or sexist based conflict can be construed to be racist or sexist no matter what stance you take on it. Inherently, women can be strong, but by presenting strong female characters in your interactive works of literature (or whatever) you are running the risk of presenting female characters as "masculine". If you present them as "feminine" you are not properly presenting them somehow.

Inherently, issues SJWs tend to take up tend to be conflicts they can always win - because they can decide what is the winning condition. They seldom lay down the law when it comes to correct interpretations or causes of action in difficult situations, so they can always righteously condemn industries and peoples for doing what they think is right. SJWs tend to be totally self-righteous without apology. And feeding these peoples' egos is just a waste of everyone's time - especially the "genuine SJWs" that actually do things in their community to promote tolerance and peace and diversity instead of wasting hours upon hours of time writing a blog about facebook relationships, delusional middling theses presented as anti-games and casual sex.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, it's been no secret that gaming media is horrendously corrupt. The downside of the open-access nature of online media is that there's no way to enforce any kind of ethical standards.

As for the topic in question, to be honest I care a lot more about the fact that AAA studios can just about openly buy good press from major gaming news sites than I am about an indie developer sleeping around for good press.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'll hold that sleeping around to further your career is a valid tactic to attempt.

That said, this entire thing is so unbelievably ridiculous that I want that time from 5 minutes ago back where I hadn't heard of her, her game, or any of this.

If the TL;DR of this, as far as I can see right now, is that people can be bribed and there are shitheads out there, then all I can say is: Welcome to life.

5. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

All I can say I learned from this is how scary SJW's can be.
    Man oh man, they take personal offense at every fruggin thing. Also, if they unite into a group for one cause or to attack one person that offended a leading SJW, the sjw minions would attack said person and ruin their lives.
    /r/TumblrInAction is where I go for laughs now. The amount of stupidity these "social justice" warriors have continuously amazes me.

@Sesc I suppose it's a valid tactic when you don't lie to everyone you know and talk about how you think cheating and not telling your partner is essentially non consensual sex. Quinn talks one thing but does something entirely different. I was surprised her minions still support her after that hypocrisy.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    InternetAristocrat's video(s) did a lot better to show me what this was all about than the OP's post (which I initially dismissed) did.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The funny which this situation was previously lacking has finally appeared. I no longer feel like hearing about this was a waste of time.

http://i.imgur.com/E7XZaKz.png

4chan is shitting on hypocrite social justice warriors by genuinely supporting women gamers.

9. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Were it not for the ridiculously overblown censorship, I don't think so many people would have given a shit about it. Streisand effect in full motion.

10. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much. An issue about corruption in games journalism appeared, and then violently demonstrated said corruption with rampant censorship.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find this suddenly hilarious.

12. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Did not expect reddit to get dragged into this mess, saw a thread earlier in the week, like 25k replies and they had all been deleted. Thought "wtf happened here? cp-raid on steroids from hell?" and thought nothing more of it.

Then couple of days later I stumble on the fucking shit tornado that's in full swing, reddit mods/admins turned into zoe's personal army and are deleting posts and shadowbanning left and right, shit's even been confirmed by an anononymous mod, zoe contacted mods of some subreddits about censoring for her. One subreddit agreed, the other didn't and got leaned on pretty fucking heavily by reddit staff, which boiled down to "censor this or we nuke you and your sub".

Oh, and mods can read pm's. That's really going to go over well with the redditors. :p

13. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yeah, I could care less about who is screwing who in the video game press industry, but I do highly dislike discovering that the mods on reddit can be quite corrupt.

14. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So the two threads I started, other then this one, on SB and SV are down. One was locked because people were yelling at each other, SB, and the other was flat out removed, SV. Since I wasn't there I have no idea what happened on SV but the second thread made was locked and the mod said something about legal action.

What the fuck?

Also somebody already posted AI's new vid, it's looking like Zoe may also be straight up scamming people to get their money.

So...ya.

15. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
  16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Hiveminding abusers? The cathedral of misogyny? Love it how they just blanket the whole of 4chan as being the one and the same - no matter that there's a whole shitton of boards, with god knows how many people - yet would cry out in their porky-sweat laden rage if someone did the same thing to them. Muh Sony & Ginny. Typical butthurt shippers.

Also, the Indiegogo campaign was, sadly, closed. Gee, I wonder who could have done this.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Got any more details on this? Or the SB/SV thread content?

I watched most of the initial vid, so I have an idea of what's going on (plus I read some of the other links), but I'm not clear what's happening on these other sites.

Why does reddit care enough to apparently be Zoe's personal mods? Unless she slept with all of them too? What is she saying/doing to convince them?

What's the content of these threads that's getting so out of hand / controversial? Etc. I can get closing threads b/c people are being asshats on a forum, but it's sounding like it's more than that?

...or does anyone just have a link that summarizes the last week of this crapfest? Because I get the initial issues, just not sure what's happened this past week or what she's saying at this point to draw everyone (and their money?) towards her.

18. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Essentially Zoe has decided to hide behind a wall of "They're only doing this because I'm a strong independent woman." This has of course, as she cynically intended, led to a whole bunch of internet trolls to threaten rape, violence and call her a slut, because that's how the internet works.

Reddit mods, gaming press and whoever else only see this, rather than the perfectly legitimate criticism aimed at her. Instead of using this as motivation to address some pretty shameful holes in the journalistic standards of the gaming press, they've decided to rally around their media darling and pretend like all of this is because she's a woman and not because she's done some pretty shady shit.

The 4chan thing is a work of legitimate genius though. I actually can't get over how funny that is.

19. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

It basically started when someone posted Totalbiscuit's tweet on the whole event. His tweet is infact extremely neutral and mainly callas out the journalists involved. Meanwhile one of senior mods of /r/gaming messages Zoe Quinn on twitter and they PM each other. After which the entire thread gets nuked to all hell. Then the same mod makes a sticky saying all the comments were deleted due to doxxing information, 20+ thousands of comments. /r/games too has removed any thread posted to the sub completely. /r/Tumblrinaction and r/videos have been the least censor-y. NeoGAF also locked their thread and there were even rumours of censorship on /v/.

When the second IA video was posted, people just started getting shadowbanned just for posting in the thread. The admins have since claimed that it was an auto mod issue, but people aren't convinced.

Not sure about the others but the /r/gaming mod in question is friends with Patrick Klepek who is close friends with Zoe.

As for the money thing, the second Internet Aristocrat talks about that. About how after she shut down two different Game Jam events, (One of which she publicly harassed and released private information of the organisers) she started her own, which is now being funded by the people she slept with as well as other "journalists." But the important thing is that all the funds are going into her own personal paypall account. So there is no liability in her part to make sure all the funds are used for what was promised.

20. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord