1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Ignobel Powers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

In Philosopher's Stone we get this conversation:

"You flatter me," said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had powers I will never have."
    "Only because you're too noble to use them,"

Now this can't be his immortal Horcrux thing, as no one knows about it yet (He's been dead for less than a day). It's not flying as thats new in DH.

So what "Powers" are being referred to here, what can Voldemort do that Dumbledore won't?

I can't think of any magic we see that fits this line, the unforgivables are a weak answer, and don't seem in the spirit of the line, as it seems to refer to magic that only Voldemort and Dumbledore would even be capable of, not a normal wizard.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you can draw a parallel to real life here. There are things that men of integrity simply will not do, but those that have no qualms will.

Consider child trafficking, or other forms of utterly inhumane treatment such as Unit 731or the Rape of Nanking, and then imagine what depths of depravity one could sink to with the additional of magic. It's not the magic that is terrible - it's just a tool, it's the imaginations of those who use it that is to be feared.

Thats my view here anyway.

Also, I use those two examples above as they are extensively documented and unquestionable. However, every single country, including New Zealand, has these types of incidents in their history.

3. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

For powers that Dumbledore doesn't have and Voldemort does, there's definitely self-sustained flight which was invented by Voldemort, who taught it to Snape.

For powers that Dumbledore won't use because of his beliefs, I'd assume that it would be the dark magic and lethal spells he knows and won't ever cast. We see this in the duel in OotP where Dumbledore doesn't use lethal curses against Voldemort. Of course, this isn't exactly limiting because as Dumbledore said, there are other worse ways to destroy a man.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sure Voldemort did various things to himself beside the horcruxes to make himself stronger, and I'm sure they required him to do horrific things to gain them.

If we're going with symbolism, I'm going to guess things like burning someone alive to gain fire resistance or removing the eyes of someone with quick reflexes to gain their physical abilities.

In fact, the last one might explain Voldemort's appearance. In some fic you could imagine there's some ritual that allows you to gain some physical abilities of someone else, but instead of giving you their full abilities it's more like a middle ground, so Voldemort had to find many physically capable people to kill and take their powers from to approach their level of physical ability. So his appearance is blurred over many other's appearances.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

That's certainly more thematic with HP than the oft-used super blood magic rituals that only cause you pain for monumental personal buffs. That somehow nobody but the main character can use.

6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

@MonkeyEpoxy that has always been my issue with Rituals being the excuse for Voldemorts looks.

If there was rituals to give significant edges in abilities then we would see at least a few of his Death Eaters do them.

I think his looks are purely Horcrux based as he is the only Wizard, perhaps ever to make that many.

7. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Legillimency comes to mind (heh).

Perhaps there are upper tiers of mad legillimency skillz only attainable via unscrupulous use of the art, that allow manipulations like the inception Harry is fed in OotP.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They might have, but not to the extent Voldemort did.

9. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Honestly, it's probably just a way to build up Voldemort and Dumbledore in the first book before JKR fleshed out her magic.

Otherwise, it's purely an issue of nobility in the literal sense such as Dumbledore not seeking to kill Voldemort in the Atrium at the Ministry.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Horcruxes

Possession

Inferi

Fiendfyre

Ten Pin Bowling

11. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

I think he mainly means general proficiency with dark magic, like the curse on the ring or the potion protecting the locket. Dumbledore could probably re-create these things if actually researched them, but he never dived into this kind of magic, whereas he knows Voldemort did.

12. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

But ten pin bowling is Dumbledore's thing. Voldemort's more of a candlepin bowler.

13. Bugweiser

Bugweiser Squib

Things Voldemort could and would use but which Dumbledore would refrain from... beyond what's already been mentioned (like Inferi armies or Fiendfyre) Transfiguration comes to mind as something that Dumbledore could compare (and surpass) the Dark Lord at but which he'd never use to kill. Dumbledore could very likely use the (incredibly hard) human transfiguration in battles but would never get to that level.