1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Jul 24, 2011.

1. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

The ending kind of makes me dread the next season. I can ignore some of the gaping plot holes, dei ex machina, facepalm 'ironic' 'twists', quick-ships with ready made replacements (Iroh+Asami?), über righteousness, etc., for the reasons mentioned above.

That and the fact that doing so would remind me I am obsessing over a children's show, causing me to die a little inside.

Given that everything's too neat, all the likeable lot points in the past season are pretty much gone except for the characters.

I don't want it to take the classic turn of beating the unbeatable guy only to find there's one who's even more unbeatable-er that no one's heard of somehow. That or monster-of-the-week/avatar: world police. It'd never fly, but I'd have liked to have seen a pyrrhic victory, which would leave the next season with something to work with.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha. I was 4 when it came out, and you were probably in the 9th or 10th grade. I'd still consider that a childhood memory for you!

When I was 11 and in the swim team, I would dive to the bottom of the deep end and push myself to the top and pretend I was Robin Williams when he learned how to fly again.

(also lol, you were born when bell bottom jeans were in fashion -- you are old)

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I was only 15, true... but life as a geek in middle school had already killed my soul.

I don't really have many memories from the 70s, or even the 80s, so I can't say I actually remember bell bottoms on that particular go round (they sort of came back, not too long ago).

On the other hand, I fully remember the massive shoulder pads in women's clothing. And, sadly, the mesh jerseys and half shirts that guys were wearing everywhere in the 80s... :(

That accounts for two of my three white hairs.

4. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I really hope the equalist movement doesn't just fade away by next season. Someone mentioned the scene where Tenzin and his kids were chained up at the rally and what I found noteworthy there was the reaction of the crowd - they fucking loved it. Little kids in chains and they were acting just as they did when Amon was removing the bending from criminals earlier in the season. There's some hardcore hatred among the population, even without Amon.

5. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Best moment of last episode is the Noatok and Tarlokk scene at the end. That single tear said so much ;_;

The Lieutenant be the new leader, please. And with the power of Koh. Lance Henriksen must have been brought on, as such a minor, background character for a good reason - right? RIGHT?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The Lieutenant gets smacked around so much I don't think he could be in charge. They need a villain who can be more badass than Amon, because for most of the season Amon was an unstoppable force. That's going to be hard to do again since their going to need to be able to hold their own against Avatar State Korra, the United Army, and all of the other things on Korra's side.

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

The way I see it will be a sort of conter-rebellion arc, winning the hearts and minds, becuase despite everything Amon did give non-benders what they wanted, power.
    The non-benders have had a taste of power, with the equalists, and by extension all non-benders, ruling the city.
    "Repbulic city for equalists, the benders have their own countries" would be the slogan. Because a popular uprising isn't something Korra or Tenzin is going to bend away (pity that tarlok is gone, he had the ruthless to bend the shit out of a revolution). A dozen different groups all clamouring for non-bender power, and the only thing in their way is the avatar. How can you fight an army of people you don't want to hurt, who want to hurt you?

8. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

The Lieutenant got his ass kicked so thoroughly since episode 3, yes, but the thing is he was an honest believer in the cause (even if the method Amon and co. carried it out was horrible). Korra might have unlocked her true Avatar power, yes, but she couldn't beat down on the non-benders again if they refused to fight? If they went the political route instead?

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

It didn't end like I expected but I can't honestly say I disliked it.

I was iffy about Amon's origins but his touching death scene with his bro made me revise my opinion. Korra not achieving the Avatar State until after the conflict was over annoyed me a bit; I was hoping it would appear whilst her bending was being taken away or directly afterwards.

Alternatively, it wouldn't appear at all which would lead to Korra trying to regain her abilities in the next season whilst Bad Things happen. Overall, I enjoyed the series and I'm curious to see what comes next.

10. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

Totally viable, but hard to translate into a kids' action show.

Same problem, but they'd have to take it a step further. How do they get rid of the benders? With Amon, there was a pretence of non-lethal bender elimination. Now they could kill benders, imprison them or exile them. They've done a lot of nuance already, but I find it hard envisioning them going for the total shades of gray between two opposing forces. Odds are decent the bad guys have to be 'evil'.

It'd be more believable if there were a nefarious group of benders inciting anti-bender hatred as a part of some master plan. Then the bad guys would be using the 'good' populace as a shield, and the populace would be duped victims rather than Nazis.

11. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Ending was a let down.

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm actually glad that Amon is gone. Now we have an opportunity for the villain to actually be someone who isn't a bender. Also, now that they can't take people's bending away, the rebels (who are probably not just going to quit because Amon turned out to be a fake) are going to have to start killing folks. Still working towards that bending free paradise.

13. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude Fourth Year

Except it's still a kid's show. They can't have the bad guys running around killing people willy-nilly, at least not directly.

They might be able to imply killing, but a more likely alternative - if they go down that route - is having benders locked up somehow. Similar to how the Fire Nation took all the Earthbenders and threw them on a metal rig in the middle of the ocean in ATLA.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Or else most of the Bender hate was stirred up by Amon and with him gone it will die down some. This storyline feels done and complete with Season 1. It'd be stretching to try and do it again in Season 2, and I'm thinking we might have something else then with maybe the aftershocks of this at worst.

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't think so. That many people wanting to rebel won't be passified just by killing the leader. I wouldn't be surprised if the lieutenant survived the smack down Amon gave him and took command of the Equalists.

16. Myst

Myst Headmaster

The creators have said that Season 2 will feature an entirely new villain and storyline. I doubt they plan to continue the Equalist storyline much beyond this.

17. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm rewatching the original series and it's just so much better. Part of what makes it great for me is the large and well-developed supporting cast. Zuko and Iroh are always great to watch. I don't feel like Korrah has done a good job of making me give a shit about its characters.

Also, just saw the bloodbending episode again, and they made it out to be that any powerful waterbender could do it. In fact it's explicitly stated that because Katara was a stronger waterbender than the old lady she learns bloodbending from, she's a stronger bloodbender. This seems at odds with what we see in Korrah, since while Amon and his family seem like incredibly powerful bloodbenders they're not shown to be strong waterbenders considering what was shown in the original series. Since bloodbending is quite literally simply waterbending the water in a person's body, a biological leaning towards bloodbending doesn't make a lick of sense.

According to the original series, the stronger you are at waterbending the stronger you are at bloodbending, which is understandable.

Oh, and every single character in the original series is a stronger bender than any character you care to pick from Korrah. Thinking about those mech suits made me laugh while I was rewatching this since they would be blown up, sliced to bits, or entombed by any character from the original series. They dialed back the power levels a hell of a lot.

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've re-watched select episodes of TLA, and I agree that the bending was toned back a lot. However, I think that it was too powerful in TLA in the first place. Or rather, the main cast were too powerful for their ages. None of them are older than seventeen yet and you expect me to believe they're some of the strongest in the world? Aang I could understand, since he's the Avatar and all, but jeez. They should've either aged them up a handful of years with more experience to justify it, or toned down the bending. Since their ages correspond roughly to the target audience, the second option would've made more sense.

Still, taken as-is The Last Airbender is pretty good.

I think the main problem with Korra is how short this season was. They really don't seem to know how to tell a story with half of their usual episode allotment. So much time was wasted on pro-bending, which, while somewhat entertaining, never amounted to much besides giving Amon a stage, and the romance subplot, the results of which were obvious from the start and which ended up making Mako looking like a dick for stringing Asami along so much when it was clear who he really favored. All that time could've been spent on actual character and plot development, which seemed to come in occasional bursts rather than a continuous flow.

I probably could've forgiven their previous lapses somewhat if the finale was at least good, but they had to fuck up Amon, who would've worked far better if he didn't have any bending and actually believed in the ideals he was espousing, and skimp out on a final battle with the Equalists.

Unless they've got new writers who know how to tell a story in roughly thirteen episodes, I have little hope that season two will be any different.

19. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Agree with everything, though toning down the power levels in the original series would have made it less fun to watch. In the end I think that "Team Avatar" was made up of the strongest benders in the world, and I'm not sure I can say that was a bad thing from my perspective.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gaang, Team Avatar is this iteration of the same phenomenon, also, what sort of people do you guys think they'll pick up this coming season? I'd think a waterbender...