1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings (TV - Amazon))

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On reflection it's rather funny that the compressed timeline was done because otherwise all the mortal characters would keep dying. Because the following characters are all immortal:

Galadriel
    Elrond
    Gil-Galad
    Celebrimbor
    Halbrand/Sauron
    Adar
    Arondir
    The Stranger

So you would only lose:

Nori
    Durin
    Bronwyn and Theo
    Elendil
    Isildur
    Miriel

I can't help but feel that the compression was actually unnecessary, and that it would have been acceptable/better to have these characters just being around for maybe one season each, when their respective timelines came along.

2. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I mean, it's kind of hard to make engaging television out of forging of the rings that takes 90 years. How do you show that? Fade to black, text overlay: 90 years later? How do you make it make sense to the audience that it takes that long to make some jewelry?

Tolkien timeline has the same issues as all other epic fantasy timelines in that the events in ancient history take way too long.

3. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

4. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know what all the fuss was about with the show supposedly looking cheap or being horribly terrible. Some of the dialogue was meh. Some of the runtime was boring (folksy Harfoots folksily folksying and Gandalf, cough the Stranger gesticulating at stars in confusion). Seems like complaining for the sake of complaining because there's a black elf and and a black dwarf. Some people apparently thought Galadriel was unlikeable? I'll take this Galadriel gal over Rey Skywalker Palpatine any day.

I shan't repeat all the points on lore conflicts that Taure and Steelbadger have raised before. As I said in my post on adaptations much earlier in this thread, I didn't go in expecting an exact translation of Tolkien to the screen, so all of that is fine.

This one person who complained about Pharazon's monologue in the plaza was completely wrong btw, the actor knocked it out of the park. More Pharazon pls.

Things I particularly liked:

The R's (NumenoRRRR, GaldRRRRiel, TaRRRR-MinyatuRRRR, ARRRRmenelos and so on)

Narsil

panning shots of all the great civilisations (Armenelos, Eregion, Lindon, Khazad, a glimpse of Valinor)

Durin's tree (fuck you Elrond I don't like you anymore, but this tree you gave me, yeah that's my baby, so I actually still like you... you're still
    an asshole for missing my wedding)

Adar

Gil-galad (hands down best-looking elf on the show, dude must win the Middle-Earth's Best Dressed Elf Award every year)

Sauron reveal scene (he recounted everything he told Galadriel, afterwards she must have been feeling like "goddamnit, he literally gave me every clue"; I like how his eyes looked like the fire eye from the Jackson movies in the closeup, I like how once the jig was up and Galadriel went for the kill, he just blocked the strike like it was nothing AND Sauron had the best line in the whole show so far: "I have been awake since the breaking of the first silence" is up there with "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall", very melodic line, well-delivered, terrific stuff)

terraforming of Mordor

---

I enjoyed it. I think waiting to binge the whole season was the right decision, I can't imagine how much more the Harfoots would have annoyed me if I couldn't fast-forward through some of those scenes to get back to the good stuff. Tbh I don't understand why the Gandalf storyline is in this show and I don't care about it. More Numenor and more Sauron please.