1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Night Angel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Exile, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I finished this series right about the time it came out. Sense then I've had a few rereads and still will find myself contemplating it. I saw no thread on DLP discussing it so I thought I'd collect some ideas ra(n)ting it.

FYI- SPOILERS are going to appear in this post and thread.

Personally I enjoyed the series. It drops off after the first book but still is entertaining. Even so- Kylar still finds ways to eat it. I guess being one of the most Talented persons in the world and one of the finest sword men alive, coupled with all the other abilities he picked up from wetboy training won't keep you alive that long with the list of enemies he acquires.

That being said, I don't think anybody can question the character development going on (saying that is a sure fire way for somebody to) during the series. Almost every named character evolves during the crucible that is this series.

Well I won't cover everything I think in the first post, hopefully it just comes up in intelligent and mature conversation... or some other form of DLP enhanced interrogation.

2. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

I liked the first book, but I felt afterwards the series pulled an indigo prophecy, which is to say, shits gets very weird and strange for no good reason with limited foreshadowing. I wish they just stuck with the whole assassin coming of age story and built from there. Also, dead characters should STAY DEAD, yah I liked him but bringing back dead characters is almost never a good move.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Read the series soon after it came out, liked it quite a bit. Made very little sense, and the fantasy world had so many contradictions it just got silly, but it still ended up being pretty cool.

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, Night Angel definitely took a weird turn in the later books. Still good, but weird and not as awesome as it should have been.

A novella about Durzo Blint was released last month. Haven't acquired it yet, but will check it out from the green demon and buy if it is awesome. Durzo is one of my favorite characters, so hopefully this is good.

6. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Pretty much this.

It also started massively ripping off Wheel of Time for no good reason.

It wasn't a bad series - I did finish it after all - but not good either.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I think I read this. Is this the series where the main character and the girl he loves keep denying themselves and wont fuck? That shit pissed me off.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yep...

Also, the Durzo Blint novella was alright. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it at least offered some more insight into the character. Worth reading, but not buying.

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The trilogy is worth reading, but it's one where you finish reading it and you move on. It's not at the level where you want to stay in the world longer like Harry Potter or the worlds by Tad Williams.

Character development is indeed quite strong for Kylar. You get a real sense of his progression and the journey and pains he has to survive.

Actually thinking back on this trilogy, there was this incredible and inspired plotline with the other main character, Logan, when he's forced to hide out in a prison full of people verging on cannibalism. The other character besides Kylar that gets good development.

Very visual and remarkable openings to the first and two books. Kylar hiding under the floorboards in book 1 and the assassination attempt on the God-Emperor in book 2 stand out as brilliant, memorable moments in the trilogy. The top wetboy behind Durzo Blint massacring the entire household of a big character and leaving his message too. Hard to forget.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This. ^^^

I think if the third book was less of a wangst fest, I might have been tempted to play around with Logan's POV and what his psyche would look like after being imprisoned in such a shithole. Disappointing because I had a fun, twisted plot-bunny with Kylar as the King's wetboy. Could have been fun, but the third book pretty much killed it for me.

11. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Yeah I think we can all agree that the books jumped the shark near the end.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

I haven't read these books, but every time I see the term "wetboy" I feel kinda grossed out.

13. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Even more when one of them is a girl wetboy.