1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Office - A Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Zack

Zack Squib

This game has been hard for me to form definitive reads on much of anyone so far in either direction. Some of that is undoubtedly my being stubbornly paranoid ("oh no but they might actually be a [villager/wolf]").

Sometimes on D1, there's someone(s) who jumps out to me as needing to get lunched ASAP, sometimes it doesn't happen. But I still think D1 is important, and talking to people and prodding and that sort of thing helps a lot for the future, and typically the picture seems a lot clearer by the start of Day 2.

2. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Thanks Stanari.

Newcomb - Zack and Scott were probably my two strongest town reads coming out of RVS/the early stages. My early game reads are a little hard to explain, but you know how I start every game off by picking up the list of players and then coloring myself in as violet, and everyone else with no color? When I start off a game, I pretty much start trying to color in those reads ASAP, which was why I was happy to shoot from the hip a little regarding those townreads. I like to hold onto those early townreads as much as I can (because I'm a human, and somewhat egotistic, so I don't like being wrong) which was why I didn't take that additional step.

Does that clear it up for you? Willing to answer questions about my early game mindset and clear things up as much as you need.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hi dyachei, we haven't interacted yet this game. Nice to meet you.

Explain why you think I am scum beyond the early game awkwardness? Feels like you've been calling me scum from the sidelines but not actually pushing/voting me and I'm sitting here wondering why.

3. Zack

Zack Squib

Hmm.

I remember you taking longer than most people in that game to bump me from null to town (just checked and it was D2). IIRC you also expressed a fair amount of paranoia about not knowing my scum game / what I was capable of.

So you being so quick to call me town here, and sticking to it, worries me when your reasoning on the why is rather vague.
    --- Post automerged ---
    When I was skimming your ISO in the crossover game to see how your read on me progressed - I actually noticed that you seemed to give a fairly decent amount of consideration to stuff like anti-alignments and unaligned pairs.

These are all from page 1 of your ISO in that game:

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...itational-exhibition-game?p=504168#post504168

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...itational-exhibition-game?p=504174#post504174

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...itational-exhibition-game?p=522592#post522592

http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...itational-exhibition-game?p=522599#post522599
    --- Post automerged ---
    LOL I was such a douche.

4. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Zack: I remember that I was super scared of you and Visor in that game because you two I heard were very good mafia players and I didn't have a good baseline to what your wolf/town ranges were. Now that I have that baseline in my head (your town play from Org/CFC) I am a little more comfortable townreading you now. Like, I remember that game I was a paranoid nelly and that really kind of impacted my ability to work with you guys that game, IIRC.

And I do consider anti-alignments/unaligned pairs, yes, but not to the extent that Newcomb does it?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Tinfoil hat theory: Cuth/Kalas trying to powerwolf here?

Because this is pretty much the exact opposite reaction I am getting from Kalas's posts. He has not really been present, not really playing the game, and he's only been pushing GH but not actually voting him?

I'd feel much more comfortable applying this statement to like. Weiyaoli than Kalas.

5. Zack

Zack Squib

But, you have no baseline for wolf play, so shouldn't you still have the same paranoia? Why am I town?

As for the second part... based on that game, I don't know that I agree that me/tom being unaligned is something you wouldn't give any thought to as town.

6. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I couldn't remember the answer to this but a brief skim of WH8 says it's not unusual for him to focus and that sort of thing early in the game like this.

7. Zack

Zack Squib

Thanks Fable.

QUOTE="Prophylaxis, post: 1023830, member: 38150"]Tinfoil hat theory: Cuth/Kalas trying to powerwolf here?

Because this is pretty much the exact opposite reaction I am getting from Kalas's posts. He has not really been present, not really playing the game, and he's only been pushing GH but not actually voting him?

I'd feel much more comfortable applying this statement to like. Weiyaoli than Kalas.[/QUOTE]
    I do agree that Cuth post is not great. Seems like the sort of thing you say about a wolfbro. Also called him reasonable twice.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Thanks Fable.

I do agree that Cuth post is not great. Seems like the sort of thing you say about a wolfbro. Also called him reasonable twice.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Jarring! That's what I was going to call that Cuth post.

8. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    I know this is literally ancient meta but I do not remember seeing this much focus on pairs from him before.

I'll look at WH8 though. Maybe also for another game since I feel like flipless tends to encourage dis/alignment reads?

9. yeavoxxtalknah

yeavoxxtalknah Muggle

He did in the wildcard reunion game, and got heat for it. He was a villager there (though I expect him to perform similar w/w analysis in either alignment as it is pretty easy to do as wolf or villager).

10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

It's a holdover from playing mostly no-flip games as my formative mafia experiences.

I don't really do it... on purpose, per se. My "process" is like... I read the thread, and when something occurs to me that seems to say something about someone(s) alignment, I post it. You know how Voxx endlessly talks about the game being a puzzle to solve, and that's where the enjoyment comes from? To me, "not w/w" reads are like, the corner pieces. A little easier to get, but foundational, a way to start, something to build from.

11. dyachei

dyachei Squib

High Score:
    I've already said why in a mini iso of you.

As for fable and Jari, I guess I'm not surprised they aren't at each other's throats this game. They were last game and it hurt both of their games so seems like it would follow to not repeat that.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also I feel like a fucking ghost in this thread.

12. Newcomb

I'm going to try to be a bit more rapid-fire with this; at this rate I'm just never going to be current.

I like this read. Comes off as genuinely trying to sort Stanari.

^ replying to that same post. Of course.

Man I really hope I'm not getting pocketed. I'd really /like/ for SS/YeahVoxx to be town and just like, do the thing with them.

(especially if YeahVoxx is actually Visor <_<)

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

Slightly like this from Vira. I don't think it's a line she throws to a partner there - she'd be way more likely to attach the line to an anvil and drop it into the ocean :p - and if she's a wolf and fonti's town, the motivation to gently nudge fonti to stop tunneling is, what? Zack is exactly with Vira? Meh.

The Beck copypasta is pretty :thumbs.

Point of order: I did my Awaclus gimmick without reading the thread, I just jumped into it and found people I could use it on.

Also kind of squinting at you being solid enough on my meta to comfortably say I would/wouldn't do something, but I suppose I am a pretty rigid player in my own way, so, maybe.

Explain the "starting to feel bad" part of it. Like, what was going through your head there? Bad in what way?

...I'm just now realizing this was another Beck pasta, with fonti instead of Panther.

Despite one getting me, I'm going to staunchly keep supporting the idea that they're funny and the confusion they generate in general is a small price to pay for giggles.

This kinda reads like lolcatting with words / open wolfing but I'm going to be so fucking devastated if it is because it both means that GH stopped having fun on D freaking 1 AND that we're fated to literally never roll v/v again.

Expand on this.

Hm. I kinda feel like this Koalas post (it's to GH), comes from a place of like, villagery confidence? Scum!Kalas has a certain kind of, hm, used car salesman sleeze that his is the opposite of. Feels pure, for lack of a better word.

There are like, maaaaaaybe worlds where it feels that way because he's coming from a place where he knows it's right because GH is his partner?

13. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    Hi Dya! What are your present thoughts on 113?

14. dyachei

dyachei Squib

High Score:
    I feel like I read 113 based off read progression and it's really early for that. I kind of have him in my null pile

15. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    Okay.

Remind me why you're voting fonti?

16. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    @Newcomb

Uuuuuuuhhhhh.....it was a I didn't want to be a hypocrite type thing? I go on about how I don't like it when people don't explain there reads but especially their reads on me so it felt wrong to just say "X is a wolf" and just leave it at that even if nobody asked me about it.

17. Newcomb

:thumbs

Regardless of your alignment this game Fable (and fwiw I'm leaning town), I appreciate the way you're like, aware of stuff in previous games and trying to do things differently and not just like, saying that. Pretty rare to see, tbh. Although if you're doing it as a wolf.... I mean shit I guess that would be kind of impressive in its own right.

18. dyachei

dyachei Squib

High Score:
    Because I think she's a wolf.

Seriously, it's because her tone this game feels very familiar to last game. I haven't liked her interactions with proph, either. I'm considering voting him instead. I don't understand how anyone is town reading him.

19. Stanari

Stanari Squib

High Score:
    Oh right. I think we had this discussion yesterday, didn't we? Mrrrrrrh. Can you articulate that any more, or nah?

Proph feels pretty earnest to me, which I'm not sure is super alignment indicative here. I also liked the article read, although that thought I probably picked up from fonti, so you probably won't like it lol. There's other things I want to instinctively like, but I'm not sure they're alignment indicative either.

20. Zack

Zack Squib

Vote: GeneralHankerchief