1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Other Boy Who Lived by Kwan Li - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by DarkAizen, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Dantrag_tc

Dantrag_tc Backtraced

Yeah, I agree that this story isn't nearly as good as it might have been. There aren't actually that many stories, where the concept of a magical war with actual frontlines is pulled off properly.

As said before the Future!Harry playing around as James was totally unnescessary and the entire thing with the tower was just a huge deus ex machina. The fact that it survived an atomic bomb, at least that's what I think they used) was just ridiculous when even Hogwarts probably wouldn't survive that. Then there's also the fact, that they actually return to London when it's full of radiation, I doubt even wizards would survive that.

Urg, just dreadful really. Not to mention the whole Harry-as-a-military-commander. That simply would not happen as there are dozens of witches and wizards who are far more experienced than him, they simply would not give the command to someone so young so easily.

It might have been a 4/5 story if the author would have just dropped several unnecessary things but he/she did not so 2-/5.

2. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I can easily say it was boring. The story was about a lovesick insecure Harry, expecially at the begining. I'm not saying Harry should be awesome,powrfull,god,etc.. but this one was a wimp. I mean it was like reading about Neville's life, except the names were changed. Though I liked the story's atmosphere with the whole wartorn country.

3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it for the most part up until Harry had to join the army. From there, I lost interest, it just looked stupid. Too bad, too, because I thought it was pretty decent before that. 3/5.

4. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I didn't actually mind the army bit, but although I enjoyed it, it was far from plausible. The rest... decent(ish), nothing special. Solid 3/5.

5. BZAR

BZAR First Year

Well the story is completed, if anyone is interested in finishing it. Unexpected ending, I suppose, but not necessarily bad. I'm curious to see the authors future works.

6. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Apparently the story now has a sequel. Not sure if want, but...will read and comment on it later.

7. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

'Not sure if want' sums it up pretty well.

It has a bit of a hook, but... eh.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I was content with the first story just ending where it did.

8. Japboix1

Japboix1 Second Year

I find that usually authors make Harry either too powerful, where it's not even a challenge for the main characters, or he's a big wimp and he cries like twice a chapter. Very few are well balanced.

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras First Year

Not a big fan of the ending. Couple of reasons why:

1. The story mentioned many times that Voldemort was growing weaker, that coupled with Harry's increased power led me to believe Harry actually had a shot. In actuality the outcome of the final fight was the same, regardless of how much damage Harry had initially done to Voldemort. He was able to get the Sectumsempra off because Voldemort thought he'd won, not due to some incredible prowess of his, or the damage he'd previously inflicted on Voldemort. In actuality, there wasn't a need for Harry's increased firepower.

2. So in the end Harry gives Neville his (stolen) wand to kill Voldemort. That didn't need to be the case. Presumably both Hermione and Ron had their wands, and Harry could have given Neville one of them. In addition, prior to that scene when Harry takes on the dragon he loses his wand. That part made NO sense. Harry has a holster that prevents his wand from going to far, the manner that he lost it in (dropping it) wouldn't have negated this. Even if the author had let Harry keep his wand, Harry wouldn't have thought to steal another one so he would have made the stupid decision of not using Ron or Hermione's wand and just given Neville his, leaving him defenseless.

3. By this time the whole "I seem like I'm Neville but I'm not really Neville," thing was a little played out, Harry should have seen it coming.

4. Harry never learns the truth about his future self, could have easily been done and there was not reason for it not to have been.

5. Why did Voldemort need to kill his horcruxes? Presumably they were what with-held him from making his wish, yet even after they were destroyed he still didn't make his wish.

3/5 for being readable and having that badass Sampson. The whole "I hope you're good at this magic stuff" line had me rolling.