1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Promises Series by Robin4 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Andro, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: Promises Unbroken
    Author: Robin4
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Sirius Black remained the Secret Keeper and everything he feared came to pass. Ten years later, James and Lily live, Harry attends Hogwarts, and Voldemort remains…yet the world is different and nothing is as it seems. AU, updated for HBP.

Links: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1248431/1/Promises_Unbroken
    Sequels: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1567001/1/Promises_Remembered
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2204188/1/Promises_Defended

I remember this fondly for the combat scenes and overall top-notch writing.

2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is this a Sirius POV or what? I read Harry Potter for Harry, not Sirius Black or Ron Weasley.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read the first few chapters and there's no denying that it's good, and pretty original, but I find it strangely unappealing. I just don't have an interest in it: there's no hook.

Good, but unremarkable. For all that the universe he has created is Alternative, it is still too...plain, normal.

4. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Agreed. It is well written, but it just doesn't make me want to read more. It doesn't really explore outside of canon enough, unless it changes further on? I've only read a couple chapters, but so far, nothing has really caught my attention.

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have to second Taure and LogrusMage. I tried to read this ages ago, but it couldn't catch my attention.

It is one of the "Harry's parents are alive" stories, describing what might have happened if Sirius hadn't switched with Peter. So Voldemort was never vanquished, the war is still going on and it doesn't look too good for the 'Light'.

As far as I have read the story features good!Trio, evil!Malfoy, Headmaster!Lupin, Deputy!Snape, Minister-for-Magic!Dumbledore, and lots of Marauders+Lily. The Potters are the heirs of Gryffindor, not as the usual cliché but as a burden for Harry. It switches the pov, so I can't say if it focusses more on Harry&co or on the Marauders.

The story is better than most or perhaps even best of that kind. So for those who like the genre or plot it certainly is a great read. But if you are not interested in this kind of AU, then it is just another of these "Parents are alive"-fics.

I can't rate it. If there is a fan-base for this it should be moved into the library. But somehow I doubt many DLP-members really like this stuff.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  6. malaga

malaga Auror

It all seems the same. Fair, but not nice, Gryffindor head, benevolent yet strong headmaster (with blue eyes rather than Lupin's golden ones), and tough leader of the aurors. The names change, but the characterizations are all the same as canon, and it's dull.

7. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

Many moons ago I stayed up all night and read a huge chunk of this fic. Then I got distracted, went several months and tried to start up again but I'd forgotten the plot and couldn't bring myself to pick up where I'd left off or backtrack and reread it.

So it gets 3/5 for me. Well written, some interesting concepts but too fucking bland to actually recommend.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Has anyone actually read this?

I remember spotting it in a number of favorite lists and such way, way, way back. But the summaries sounded way too focused on the older generation and Harry and the others were relegated to boring old typical school-children, i.e. the least interesting parts of canon.

For me it was the sequels summaries that seemed the most telling
    The whole four friends bit could be Harry's generation but I was guessing it was a Marauders reference. And I need Harry involved usually to even give a shit about the fic. That and I can't stand Harry acting like an idiot child while the adults fix everything like adults always do, which was part of the vibe I got from this series.

So has anyone actually read these and can answer some questions?

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

nonjon: I read a good bit of this fic a long while ago. From what I remember, this fic mainly focuses on the strong friendship that the four Marauders have (Peter redeems himself).

I think there was a prophecy that mentioned the Marauders and Voldemort. This is the point at which I stopped reading, since it was obvious from then on that Harry wasn't going to play a pivotal role. In this story, he's more like a secondary character, with a few scenes shown from his perspective. That's what I got from the amount I read, at least.

10. Valandhir

Valandhir Squib

I think the whole think is called "The Unbroken Universe" not the "Promises Series" and second I quite like this fic. Why? First: it takes its time to built up, you get your time to adjust to the new version instead of being flung in and think Wtf. Second: it doesn't make sweet of the fact, what would have happened, had the war raged on. Things aren't nice, they are quite dark actually. Harry is in the story, but the focus is on others, on the adults fighting the war. The longe the story gets, the more it shifts towards that focus, one of the major focus points is Sirius.
    I only have to read the last two updates, so I can claim to be fairly up-to-date when it comes the that fic, and the author is actually trying to keep canon and alternate well balanced, meaning he doesn't change canon facts needlessly and is still creating a good alternate.

11. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

The Unbroken Universe is one of my favorite AUs, primarily because it is well thought out and well written. The dynamics between the four Marauders is excellent; all of them, even Peter, have their role to play, and friendship is paramount to their survival. The story can be very surreal at times, too, such as the dinner between Sirius and Voldemort in Chapter 28 (The World In Balance) of Promises Defended. Can you find another fic that not only does that, but does it well? The series is now complete (well, excluding the prequel), so perhaps it is time to revisit this.

In my opinion, the fact that this fic is in the recycling bin is unforgivable. Yes the story is not Harry-centric, so yes, it breaks Potter Law #1. But why does it matter so much that it revolves around the Maraders instead of Harry when it is engaging and written better than a lot of fics that do revolve around Harry & Co.? I don't believe that this deserves anything less than 4/5, and my own personal rating is 4.5/5, which, for the purposes of rating, is rounded up to 5/5.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That’s the point. It’s your personal opinion.

You neither understand DLP nor the DLP library. Of course it does matter if the fic is well written or not, but it also matters if people are actually interested in the plot. And for the few people who reviewed it the story wasn’t of interest. Do you read Harry/Draco mpreg slash fics just because they are well written?

And once more: It’s your personal opinion.

13. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Gah, I'm not that far gone. I am of the opinion that someone who writes this in seriousness can literally not write well, but I digress.

And I was simply using rhetoric to make my case. I am aware that multiple opinions exist, and accept the fact that mine may be much different than what is standard at DLP. Nevertheless, I felt from the previous posts that people gave up the fic too early, and while it is important for the story to grab your attention early, as a fan of the series, I felt the need to point out that it does get better, starting ~Chapter 17 of the first story (looking over my initial post, I realize that I did not make that point, so, my bad). I stand by what I said; I do believe that this fic belongs in the Library, and hope that my bringing this up will cause others will agree. If they don't agree, there isn't much that I can do.

tl;dr: It gets better, so go in with an open mind and soldier through the entire story and I doubt you'll regret it.

14. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Can you say strawman?

Robin's Unbroken Universe is vastly superior to the majority of Harry-centric fan fiction, in terms of mechanics, plot, characterization, interest, etc.

Also, the few people who reviewed didn't appear to give it too much of a chance.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Oh, hey, I remember these stories.

I read them a while back, or most of them at least. I seem to recall getting through the first 2 or 3 stories, but then stopping when Sirius was going a bit 'round the bend and having someone (Snape?) make him a potion that would turn his eyes red like Voldemort's and give him similar powers. I just lost interest.

I do recall it focusing on the Marauders instead of Harry and his friends, but I also think it's the only story of that type longer than a one shot that has ever managed to keep my attention for any time at all. I also think this is the story that I thought would have been brilliant if it had done more a 50/50 thing with the Marauder's generation and Harry's, instead of putting 90% of the focus on the older crew.

Assuming these stories are the ones I think they are, then I can second Rayndeon about the plotting and mechanics being superior to most Harry-centric fanfiction. That, however, is not exactly difficult to manage even if it is a valid point.

I can't remember enough of it to give it a rating unless I go back and re-read, but just on my distant memories I'd give it a 3.5/5. As to whether I'd round that up or down for my official rating, well, I'd have to have another read through.

16. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Like Nonjon said almost two years ago if a Harry Potter fanfic isnt about Harry Potter, I cant bring myself to give a damn. That being said, the few chapters I did read were well written and composed very well. Just for that I'll give it a 2/5.