1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Sword And The Sorcerer by 50caliberchaos - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Ins, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but people were talking about chapter 3 12 posts above yours (25 hours difference between the two).

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Ellisande. Quit bitching. What's done is done. As far as I can tell, you're butthurt because someone rec'd it before you.

I'm a massive fan of The sun soul. The world is realistic, the characters are realistic, the length is awesome and it's just all around fun.

This... isn't. I want to like it but things like the characters being way too mature for their ages and the changes in magic system make it hard.

3/5 for now. Willing to read on.

3. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I like the world thus far and it kept me reading. I think the fic will become better as more chapters get posted online. At this point, it's 4 - 4.5/5 for me.

4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Didn't like OOC!Hagrid at all. Yeah, Hagrid should never, ever mention stuff like atoms. And removing his accent is ok, but his speech patterns and explanations in this story are too intelligent for his character. I get that you wanted a way to get some world building details out of the way first, but surely there is a better way to go about it; one that doesn't involve completely butchering a character.

And are some of the minor changes really necessary? Like what's the point of making the magical currency decimal based? A lot of it just seems unnecessary imo, like you made a bunch of changes just for the sake of making changes.

3/5

5. Nim

Nim Second Year

Pretty good for the most part, the fusion of the magic systems is interesting, and in my opinion well done. There seems to be an abundance of OOC, between Hagrid and Draco. Still, I believe it will develop solidly. 4/5

6. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Is it just me, or were five chapters (averaging >10k words for each chapter) just dropped out of nowhere at the same time?!

Fuck me. And this is the one day where I have to devote myself entirely to studying. Ugh.

7. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Fuck! And I have to go across the city and help my grandpa clean out his basement. :facepalm

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

FUCK I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE THOSE EMAILS

9. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

The update was pretty good, I think. It's already gone beyond being a canon-rehash, but I suppose that was to be expected with the magic system.

10. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I was waiting to rate it since it hadnt reached the actual rewriting of the main plot line which is where most authors fail. But my reservations were without base and 50calibur did a damn good job with it.

4.5/5 because the integration of the new magic system can get a bit confusing.

Also the troll fight rewrite was the king of all troll fight rewrites.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He said that the next update will be in March of 2011, or sometime around early 2012.

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Well he said it was going to be between March and the end of 2012. That's probably a tongue-in-cheek way of saying it'll be out when it's done.

He also said he was going to be focusing on Sun Soul in the meantime. That's always good. :D

13. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Interesting how the Mirror only showed Harry his sorcerous mother and not his pureblood father.

The action scenes easily met my (high) expectations going in for a magic system based on DnD in the hands of 50cal, the characterization of Neville in particular and the rest of the cast as well ended up being quite good (if unconventional at times), and the pacing of first year at 86k words was just right. This is great stuff and I hope the second year is ready much closer to March 2011 than December 2012. 5/5

14. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This story is pretty fucking awesome.

I feel as if JKR wrote the HP series as a draft and 50caliberchaos is the editor fine-tuning the story. The world in The Sword and the Sorcerer simply comes off as more... magical than in JKR's story. I understand that 50cal basically ripped off the magic system of D&D, but it reads so much damn better than the JKR system, with people actually having to prepare cantrips and the cost of screwing up spells, such as Luna's mom going pop.

More importantly, some of the explanations just feel better. For example, I really like how Diagon Alley seems to be in a connected realm to London, not quite in sync with the rest of the city. I don't care the pros or the cons of the argument, but with JKR's explanation of Diagon Alley being hidden behind the Leaky Cauldron, I still feel as if anyone in a helicopter or looking through a satellite can spot the alley. It just reads sloppy to me.

The characterizations are pretty damn fun as well. They're all a tad different from canon, yet still share intrinsic elements of their canon characters. Hell, at this point I don't care if 50cal continues the story. It's kick ass the way it is.

5/5

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The magic Harry starts off doing is, at first, on par with what I would expect from the Protagonist in most magical stories. I think it's cool that Harry can augment his basic needs by fixing his glasses, making his food taste differently, or keeping himself warm on cold nights. I can see the logic in him learning to do things like that in his situation, and it marks him as different, but it quickly went overboard and ventured into the land of "too much" in my opinion. I wish it hadn't done that, but oh well. It's not that big a deal in this story given how magic works.

I'm not going to go through and do an in-depth review because so many things happen or are different. There are a few things I thought might be errors, a few things that were outright awesome, a few things that were irritating, a couple of things I didn't expect, some things that were predictable, some things that were just plain different, and so forth, and so on... but in the end it's a good story that's a lot of fun to read, and that's a big part of it.

In my opinion it's well worth a read at a solid 4.5/5. Might even get better.

Edit: Oh my, this only has 78 reviews on FFnet and it's ever so much better than 99% of the slop there. I'm guessing it was posted all at once, which is something that I approve of in most ways, but I generally feel bad for the authors not getting more reviews. It's a superb story that doesn't really hit it's stride until the second or even third chapter.

Edit2: As I said in my review on FFnet -- one of the best things I liked about this story was how things made more sense. Not just the magic but the people as well. Snape acts like an adult. There is no big deal made out of sitting with your friends instead of at House Tables, it is simply assumed. Ron isn't a caricature of a person. Really good characterizations, even if Tracey, Ron, and Neville could at times feel similar in tone.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Loved this a cubic fuckton. It took a little bit of thought to see where he was going with the magic system. The problem is that I am somewhat knowledgeable of D&D, having played a dozen video games, own a read a dozen forgotten realms books, and played (only?) 5 sessions of D&D- each session being a 3 or 4 day thing. The thing with D&D is while there are plenty or rules, skill sets, and spells, standard charts, much of it is open to interpretation. Every DM has a slightly different concept of how or when to do certain things and how certain spells react, etc, but that is what is so magical about it. No game is the same. And therin lies what took me more than a few minutes to get my head around, adapting what I know to what the Author is using, but the end product is a truly amazing story that I look forward to reading more.

Cliffnotes: MOAR

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Sword and the Sorcerer is good enough that I'm reading the first few chapters of the author's Pokemon fic. And I hate Pokemon. If that doesn't explain how strongly I feel about this work, and it's author, then nothing will.

5/5

18. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

I was a tad dissapointed at the beginning of the story, but the author pulled through with the new update. The magic seems more of a science now, what with runes and cantrips. Highly reminds me of D&D/Forgotten Realms though.

Ancient Runes will probably play quite a large role further on. Characterization is fairly OOC though the main element is retained. I'd give it a 4.5/5, not 5/5 because of the scattered beginning.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quite liked the updates (stuck a bit too close to canon for my liking though).

I still have a problem with the magic system. Issues of taste aside, I'm not convinced that this system is any more "rigorous" or rational than the HP system. We're getting a lot more detail, sure, (equivalent to technobabble in sci-fi) but when it comes down to it, this fic's magic is the same as we've seen hundreds of times before in indy!Hary fiction. "It's all about intent" and "the words are just a tool to model your intent" etc. So in effect all the interesting magical theory we're presented with is a smokescreen, a handy tool for getting magic to do what you want, rather than the actual nature of magic.

Now, that's all fine and dandy. But it isn't new or original or "rational" - whatever rational might mean when applied to magic (more technobabble?). Its the same trope as always (magic theory in fanfiction always seems to boil down to one of two tropes: "Words have power" or "Intent has power").

20. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'm still not sure if I would call this 5/5 material. The action scenes are great, and the plot is very nice. But characterisations have been off (Neville was shy until he got off the train, and then he manned up instantly) and every single damn character is too smart/mature. I get that the author might not be used to writing eleven year olds, but when there are a number of similarities between this protagonist and Ash Ketchum in the author's gritty, bloody Pokemon world, there are problems.

That Dumbledore has to remind Harry to be a first-year Slytherin shows that even in-universe characters realize that Harry is too mature.As a smaller thing, I'm annoyed that the students have memorized the castle layout halfway through first year. There are small inconsistencies, like why Tracey is in Transmutation while Harry is in Potions (even though they're in the same house and year). However, through the inconsistencies and characterization problems, I rate this 4/5. Partially because this author has other quality work out, and is unlikely to drop this, and also because the plot and changes are done well.

I don't much like the arc thing. I like to read updates all at once, and a whole arc would take a while. But complaining about a story being too long is stupid, so I won't.