1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Compilation of Writing Resources

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rym, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Rym

Rym Auror

So I found this webpage while skimming the internet for some sources on writing first person exposition (how to balance it well and what not). This is, hands down, the best compilation of writing advice I've ever seen - figured I'd post it up here for others to browse through. It might do well as a sticky for authors.

It links to articles covering pretty much everything imaginable: plot/structure, subplotting, worldbuilding, characters, dialogue, POV, genre, NAMES (names you can use in your stories from all different cultures), history references, editing/revision, writing software, prompts, etc etc.

The linkage is here

Also, Brandon Sanderson's 2013 lectures are up as well, just fyi, and they're great as always.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Writing tip from Chuck Palahniuk that always resonated with me: (c/p'd from a text file, sorry for the formatting)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. Rym

Rym Auror

Hey, this is a really cool thread idea actually -- people swinging by and dropping little pieces of writing advice they've picked up from random places along the way.

That's a great article by Chuck Palahniuk. It's funny actually, I just read an article (from the link I posted actually) from a copy editor discussing the same thing. The name for what he's talking about in the editing world is "filtering." And apparently, it's one of the most common errors seen in first drafts they get. It's something that marks the prose as amateur to them.

Here's the article on it that I also stashed away in a word document for later use. It states that an incredibly simple and effective way to tighten up and better your prose is to use ctrl-f looking for a list of "filter words" and then destroying them.

5. mybu

mybu First Year

This should be the first sticky of 2014.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These are great. I feel like I now need to rewrite everything I've ever published on ff.net. For now I'll just start with the unpublished chapter.

Rym
  7. Rym

Rym Auror

TheWriteditor = great writing blog. Here's a neat little tidbit I found helpful.