1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Villainess's Dark Side - G_Adeline - M

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Halt, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: The Villainess's Dark Side
    Author: G_Adeline
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Original Fiction
    Summary: When she finally understood, she was already too late. The protagonists had already fallen in love with each other and planned for a marriage. Maybe she was still lucky though, for she narrowly avoided a situation of certain death. A long, painful and agonizing death. However, she couldn’t let this be. There was inside her a growing anger that had yet to disappear. She had yet to vent. It was a need. One that may lead her to death’s door too, but if she died by this person’s hands, certainly, it would be in a quicker way.

She just never thought that his revenge would come in the form he chose to give it. He was quite a… bewildering man.

Link: Royal Road

So, I blame @Selethe for putting me down this rabbit hole, but it's actually, surprisingly good.

First, it's completed, which is a rarity among Chinese based novels. Second, it kept its story short (perhaps even too short), which is even rarer among Chinese based novels. Clocking in at around 70-90k words, it's a relatively self-contained romance.

While it starts off quite classically for the genre (bad woman goes back in time to fix things), it doesn't try to portray the villainess as some misunderstood person. She's a bad person who lost and got a second chance.

Now, this story is strictly a romance and is quite smutty (kinda meh on that one), but the romantic development between the female and male leads is quite something to read. It's the definition of a love-hate bodice ripper, just well-executed in my opinion. By the end of it, the story was actually capable of making me feel something, which is rarer and rarer these days.

(I may just be a massive slut for villainess stories, YMMV).

3.5/5, rounding up.

2. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

The writing is probably some of the best I've seen from this genre. I read the whole thing in one sitting, which is saying something.

The MC has a grade A villainess personality. She's not a good person. She's a bad person and she knows it and she doesn't hide it from her husband. However, she's kind of hamstrung by her circumstances. There's not much of the delectable scheming which we all love to see. I agree with Halt -- i wish there was more story, especially because at the end MC and her husband are back in the capital. There's no real bashing in the story either, which is rare.

This story is hard to rate, but 4/5

Also there's several smut scenes, two of which are... suspect.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh, so... I started off pretty bored with this but the first smut scene (some of which are very suspect) is... I don't want to say engaging, but it's engaging. I have only gotten to two smut scenes so far, and I'm not sure if I'll continue the story or not since I'm bored with the plot aspects, but yeah.

For what this story is trying to do I think it succeeds. I'll go with Halt and say 3.5/5 rounded up, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Edit: So, do I have this right?
    Lady realizes out of the blue that she's part of a book. Specifically she is the villain in the book and a different woman is about to marry her fiance, the Prince. She knows that her next move in the book would be to raise issue with this, which would lead to exile (including eventual rape / torture / death).

Her solution to this is to... rape the man who is in love with the woman who will marry her fiance? Yup, that sounds about right.

Expecting him to kill her for it, apparently.

Interesting logic.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021