1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Throw Out the Script by Eidolon02 - T - Merlin

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Snupps, May 7, 2020.

1. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Throw Out the Script
    Author: Eidolon02
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance/Drama (I'd add Comfort/Angst here too)
    Pairing: Merlin/Morgana
    Fandom: BBC Merlin
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 157k

Link: FF.net

Authors summary:

Destiny says they go one way. They say they go another. Merlin/Morgana, 2x03 Divergence AU.

---------

The story starts off when Morgana has blown up her room after her latest bout of nightmares. She goes to find Gaius and instead finds only Merlin. In the show, Merlin tries to keep her in the dark about her powers. Here, he decides to reveal his magic to her.

I enjoyed the writing this story quite a bit. Grammatical/spelling errors are very rare and the author builds up the world quite well.

The characters, the way they interact and converse very much align with the original TV series and what you'd expect. Some characters maybe a bit different from the show, especially the Great Dragon as he is even more conniving in this fic, to the point of even an eyebrow raise.

The plot is centered around the pairing and explores the inner natures of Merlin and Morgana, how they differ from each other but how that also balances them out. I did have quite a bit of a red flag moment initially as it seemed very soul-bondy to me, but there is somewhat of an explanation for this. Their feelings aren't instantly reciprocated, they fight quite a bit and have very strong opinions to which neither will back down from and generally feel quite real.

This fic can be heavy on the angst/comfort, which is understandable due to the nature of the plot but theres still a LOT ofit. It does, however, also have quite a bit of humor which I enjoyed.

I'll give it a 4/5. The author clearly cares about the fandom, especially if their notes are to go by and I think it's a solid fic overall.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On an extra side note a couple days later, this was my first Merlin fic and I had no idea this Merlin/Morgana magic soulbondy thing (or their sudden attractiveness to one another for whatever reason) is a major cliche in the fandom. Annoyingly, most of the fics I've read so far include this cliche in one way or another which is infuriating to say the least.

Because of this I almost lowered my rating to a 3/5 but the story itself is still very well written so I feel like I'll just go off my original stream of thought for now, as it is one of the earlier fics in the fandom.