1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Touched by an Angel - Supernatural/HP crossover

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Sacrosanct, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I would appreciate it if no one voted 1/5 the minute they saw the word "slash" with out even reading the summary, let alone the actual fic. You know who you are!

Title: Touched by an Angel
    Author: loonie lupin
    Rating: K+/PG-13
    Genre: Drama/Friendship
    DLP Category: I'm not quite sure where crossovers go...
    Pairing: Harry/Castiel
    Status: Complete, series of connected and chronological one-shots

Linkage FTW

One of the best fics I've read and definitely the best SPN fic I've read.

The slash is virtually nonexistent. One chaste kiss at the end of the fic and before that there is no mention of anything like that at all.

Basically, Harry has a guardian angel in Castiel and it shows the most important scenes from their interaction and it also shows a developed relationship with Hermione which is good and I quite like what little we see of her.

What I like most about this fic is that there's no bullshit, it gets straight to the point. It says so much in so little but it doesn't feel at all like an info dump. The occasional check-ups on the outside characters are good as it puts it into perspective and context.

The scene with Sirius is very good but the Patronus thing is a bit off.

It was written by a person who has English as a second language so the spelling is better than mine :rolleyes: but there are some iffy prepositions, syntax etc but overall it doesn't detract from the story because it really is written very well.

I thought with the relative success of Cartographers Craft compared to past instances of slash fanfiction in For Review I might just push you guys a bit further.

I vote it 4/5. It would be a 5 if the slightly off phrases were fixed and if she got rid of the Patronus thing.

EDIT: And it would be ten times better if she changed the title. Sounds very dirty.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

1/5.

/me strolls out.

3. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I managed to skim this.

What little dialogue it contains is awkward as hell.
    It's not the good, funny, Castiel awkward.

There's nothing wrong with the grammar or spelling, even considering the fact that the author's Swiss/French.
    But it hasn't anything interesting in 33k words.
    There's way too much tell and hardly any show, and no hook at all.

Even in a graphic, pure slash romance, there's usually an attempt at character development.

This simply fails. It doesn't deliver any narrative worth noting.

The drabble format is retarded if in every thousand word chapter nothing bloody happens.

There was plenty of potential for some interaction between the Winchesters/Bobby/SPNverse and Harry, but that was all glossed over in favor of waxing poetic about the pairing.

1/5. Not because it's slash; it wasn't even blatant slash, but because the gratuitous slash pairing is its only selling point.

4. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Is it me or DLP started to get a lot of slash fics recently for rewiew.

Hell most of them isn't even that good, like this one wich is avarege at best.

A lot of people almost flamed miranda flairgod(Second Chances at Life) for making 2ndary characters bisexual and didn't read them. I don't believe DLP would read straight out slash. There are tons of other forums for that

1/5 Slash is unreadable for me. I can only stomac it if it isn't main cracter other than that no just no.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I perked up at the sight of a HP/Supernatural cross, thinking 'surely no one would be foolish enough to post the usual slash drivel that typically characterises this cross...'

Me was wrong.

Chapters are painfully short, there are glaring instances of poor spelling (Pettigrow anyone?) and of the parts I skimmed, the religiousness of it got to me. Granted, for the sake of the plot, there is an Angel defending the kid, but...Harry as a devout Christian/Catholic/whatever asking why God allowed injustice just put me off.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It could be worse. It could be an actual Touched by an Angel fanfic.

7. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I can't help but think of Harry being 'touched' by an angel.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Meciel/Harry imo

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Cartographer's Craft is much better than this.

10. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Fuck.

This is absolute shit. It's just another angsterbation on Harry's childhood. With slash. 0/5 for mediocre writing, a terrible, awful, hackneyed idea that would have been stale in 2002. I wish there was a way to give a post the thumbs down.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Writing is bland at best, and painful at times, even making allowances for secondary language. I've read the first three, and I really can't be bothered making the effort to move on. Sacrosanct, if this is one of the best fics you've ever read, then you need some different reading material, stat.

Edit: 2/5.

12. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

No fucking slash in the library.

You've been here for over a year, you should understand this.

But then you are a 16 year old girl...

13. Brown

Brown Third Year

This is badly written. It does not have any interesting ideas in it. 'nuff said.

1/5

14. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

This would disagree with you. This is a tired argument, and nearly everyone's already been over it.

Regardless of individual preferences for reading material, the only thing truly 'banned' from the Library is bad fiction.

And that wasn't even searching very hard, I know there's more.

Edit: Ninja'd, added quote to reduce confusion.