1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tropes You'd Like to See in Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by basium1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. basium1

basium1 Second Year DLP Supporter

This thread is dedicated to things you'd like to see in fanfiction that isn't a plot. It can be anything from a song or something that goes on in the background.

I'll give six examples:

Slytherins buy their notes and some of their summer essays from Ravenclaws-Ravenclaws aren't the smartest in the school but they are the most bookish and can get their facts straight.

Older Hufflepuffs buy stuff from Hogsmeade and sell it to the younger years at a slightly inflated price-They're trying to be nice while making a quick knut.

Madam Malkin's Robes for all Occasions
    is a shop that people only go to for the Hogwarts robes-she doesn't even try to make up new designs.

Knockturn Alley is Wizarding Britain's ghetto-You'll see a man who calls himself Mick at the furthest corner from Borgan and Burke's shop saying: "Pst, I got some good fairy dust right here, only three galleons for five ounces..."

I’d like to see one fic where Harry gets attached to his lightning scar and doesn’t make a new personality but gets a Voldemort that can only harm him through touch, can’t touch anything but Harry, and can only be seen by Harry.

I originally called the genre to the following song Witch-Hop but if you look it up that's already a thing.

I made up a band called Womp my Willow that did said genre and they made this monstrosity:

The last one... I hate that song and I feel bad for writing it. The rest I think are interesting points.

It was written for a sexy time scene where Harry and Lavender were trying not to get caught doing certain things while a party went on. They were under a table in the Gryffindor common room, just so you know.

So these are some examples I hope to see in this thread. Remember that this is not a plot thread, but an idea thread.

Also, I'd like a name for the genre of the song. Can one of you come up with something?

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

How about tropes we'd like to see on DLP? I'd like to see the trope where people actually know what a trope is.

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What the ever living fuck.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    May I suggest a bit more lurking?

5. Stealth

Stealth Squib

Weed, not even once.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FTFY. /10char

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Not sure you know what a trope is, OP.

That's not the definition of a trope.

But one thing I'd like to see is more world building outside of canon locations. Hogwarts often features, and should, but it's rare to see other locations outside of ones introduced in canon. I.e. Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, the Burrow, Grimmauld Place, the Ministry, St. Mungos, etc. are all great locations, but the world is a bigger place. It's one reason I liked Santi's fic so much, b/c we got to explore a moderately well crafted Durmstrang.

Some actual tropes I'd like to see a bit more of in HP fanfic? I don't know, honestly. Well, actually, I guess I'd like to see more Three Amigos type fics, where the trio are badass together as a team (bit like Forging the Sword).

8. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Even ignoring the horrible misuse of the word trope, I'm utterly baffled as to why you'd specifically want to read a story featuring the first three. They're the sort of thing that you don't mention in a story unless they're plot or character-relevant because otherwise they'd just be incredibly boring filler.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Well, I'd personally love to see more batshit women in fics, but that's just because I'm weird.

10. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

In or out of the bedroom?

11. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Yes.

/10char

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Both, but mostly the latter.