1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Two Weeks in the Alley by BajaB

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Heather_Sinclair, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Title: Two Weeks in the Alley
    Author: BajaB
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humor
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairings: None
    Words: 12,075
    Published: January 26, 2008

Summary: 13 years old, a vault full of gold, and two unsupervised weeks in Diagon Alley – What’s a boy to do? Summer before PoA AU, some adult themes.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4036037/1/Two_Weeks_in_the_Alley

ADD!Harry or just about every 12 year old boy in real life. Cute in the beginning and about halfway through I snorted Pepsi through my nose

"What were you expecting, little human," laughed Spikestaff. "Barely dressed Veela cavorting in the dirt for your amusement?"

"Expecting, no," said Harry sadly. "Hoping - hell yeah! That’s the image the words ‘Magical Mud wrestling’ brings to my mind, not this obviously rigged play fight – DAMN IT, HE’S GOT A CHAIR, COME ON, REF - LOOK AT THAT! WHERE THE HELL DID HE GET A CHAIR FROM?"

Parody of a lot of cliches. Good for a laugh.

4/5

Checked by Minion, February 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I remember reading this awhile back. Not a whole lot more that I can add on to what you have already said, its fun and good for some laughs. One of the few younger!Harry who actually acts like a young teen and is not a whiny little pain in the ass to read about. 4/5

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

A few of the running jokes get a bit tired by the time this wraps up, but it was still a blast to read. 4.5/5

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was actually getting ready to post this here. Read it last night and loved it.I will admit that some parts could get a bit tiring but all in all, a very nice, light read.

4/5

5. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    I enjoyed several chuckles in this one as well. 4/5 from me!

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

4.6/5 I actually kind of enjoyed this one.

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Sums up my thoughts as well.

4.5/5 - interesting, humorous take on Harry's time at Diagon Alley. Nice to see him live a little, even if it does involve a random Goblin hiding in his backpack on occasion. Luna for the win.

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

4.5/5 from me as well, I really liked this one. Characterisation and writing were both superb, and the basic concept remains extremely interesting. Overall well worth my time.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

...I did not expect this to be funny.

And then I lol'd.

4.5/5

The cart joke got old. The other jokes didn't.

10. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

5/5.

Best 'Harry in the Alley' oneshot ever.

A fitting tribute to all of humanity.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Heh, great story. It's a great parody of those idiotic ally fics, and it's a good laugh in it's own right.

Also, I thought this one had a rather original idea, which I think could make a decent story.
    "Death of a Nobody", it's another one-shot by the same author.

12. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

That has an abudance of possibilities, some that I really, really would like to see played out. I really hope the author does turn it into a chaptered fic.

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

This is utter crap.

I'm not seeing why this is getting so many good reviews - 4 stars is honestly far too much. It's shallow, basic, and utterly repetitive, not to mention clearly missing the concept of developed humor.

2.5/5

14. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I agree with Amerision.
    Humor isn't there, I didn't 'lol' at all.
    2/5

15. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Like Amerision, I don't see where all the high ratings for this one-shot are coming from. The only part I found truly funny was when the bodyguard tried to cook Sirius. The rest of it was written about an easily entertained child...to be read by easily entertained children. And that deserves somewhere around a 2.5/5, if you ask me.

On the other hand, Death of a Nobody was pretty damned good, and has great potential as a chaptered story, should the author go for it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  16. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I think a big part of humor is what you're expecting.

The first few people who read it were expecting crap, and were pleasently surprised. The last few thought it was going to be hilarious, and ended up not laughing at all.

I didn't laugh at all through the 40 year old virgin, because all anybody every did was tell me how funny it was. I was expecting to much, and it killed my laughs. I think that happens in basicaly every humor fic we reivew (except for the fucktarded ones).

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I might be able to clear up why this story is funny to some and not funny to others ......... perhaps because everyone who reads the story doesn't have the same sense of humor. Hmm. See some people like toilet humor, while others like wry humor, and still others like satire. There are tons more out there. But calling those of us that liked that particular type "easily entertained children" .... hold on, <searching pockets> I know I've got a "fuck you" around here somewhere. Ah, here it is... fuck you!

If you don't like the story, great, not everything pleases everyone. State it, Rate it, and move on you pretentious prick.

18. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Thanks Heather. I just found some humor in this thread after all. My apologies to all offended, but that's my opinion. Anyone else who doesn't like it can feel free to give me a fuck you or call me a pretentious prick, too. It'll only make me laugh.

19. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

5/5 for me. Yes, I know it's flawed and with the kind of anti-climactic ending that makes you wonder the point of the story. The humor works in many parts and perhaps falls flat in others.

But there is lots of brilliance behind the ideas here and the story is nothing but pure undiluted fun. A bit fluffy, a fair amount unrealistic but it's just so damn refreshing to see Harry having nothing but non-stop fun for two weeks.

As some of the other comments have so kindly pointed out, this fic isn't hilarious. But I can't stop smiling at so many of the antics. It's more that is makes me happy than it makes me laugh. And since so many others don't seem to get it, that pushes it up to 5/5 for me because I feel like I do get it.

I read it when it was first posted, and re-read it a few weeks back. And someday in the future, I know I'll re-read it again. After the eye-gouging pain of angst fics (particularly unfinished/WIP ones that are nothing but torture since they're lacking any sort of happy ending), it's fics like these that refresh my interest in the JKR-verse.

20. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

god fun to read, got a couple of chuckles out of me. 4/5