1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

V by circinusphoenix - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Naga's Shadow, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Naga's Shadow

Naga's Shadow Seventh Year

Title: V
    Author: circinusphoenix
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None at present
    Summary: Living in a police state, Hermione Granger tries to survive in the reign of Voldemort. The Muggle government is under his control, and the wizarding world lives in constant fear. People go missing every day, and after the loss of her friends Ron and Harry to the Dark Lord, Hermione vowed to keep living. Unable to fight back against the corrupt government, her world and England are turned upside down when a masked stranger comes from the shadows, and vows revenge on Lord Voldemort.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3340476/1/

A while back there was a thread on a V for Vendetta story well here's one. Good beginning that parelels the movie. That may not be the best for someone whose read the graphic novel but pretty nice for the rest of us. Its only three chapters now but we can hope for steady updates right?

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

V can't possibly be Harry...can he?

:O

EDIT: I'm being sarcastic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You always ask yourself that question at first, then you realize that the hooded/masked person is ALWAYS Harry, even if they say it isn't. Always. Harry. If not him than a carbon copy with a different name and looks.

4. Azrael83

Azrael83 Second Year

I just read the first chapter and I must say that Its good. The author has a good writing style.

5. raja

raja Fourth Year

I read the 1st one also, and the wrting style was ok, but so uch of it was just copied straight from the movie. Also quoting Shakespeare? It just didn't flow too well nor did it catch my intrest. Maybe if they actually wrote more of it than just copying it from other things, it could get better. 1.75/5

6. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

While I've not seen V for Vendetta: The Movie, I've read the book. I'd have thought an adaption of the book would be better. I've thought that it could serve as a decent crossover, but I thought that Sirius would make a better V.

My main problems with the story...
    '
    1. North London and Driving!?! If Hermione wants to be nondescript, I'd have thought that she should use the underground. Also, it'd be nice if place names such as Islington were used instead of North London.

2. Also, East London. Give it another place name, like say, Millwall.

3. Although Hermione is a somewhat unusual name, I think people in th UK might be aware of the name.

4. London Police. The author may want to rename the police service. Currently, there are the Metropolitan Police Service and the City of London Police-- the latter service governs the city of London but not the different boroughs.

Essentially, the story needs more work to take into account these perceived problems. At the moment, I'd give it a 2/5 rating.

7. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That would imply having read the book. Or knowing there is a book such as that, or that the film was based on a book...

8. Tenebrae

Tenebrae Second Year

Well this was rather good timing on someone's part, given I just watched V for Vendetta yesterday.

For now it gets a 4/5 for sticking close enough to the movie, though I can't say it's particuarly inspired at this point. I'll hold off actually voting until I have more than 3 chapters to work with.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I really liked the movie. And so far, I really like this fic. The fusion of the ideas works pretty well but I'm a little reticent that an ending like in V for Vendetta may not translate into a satisfying ending to a Harry Potter fanfiction.

Either way, I'm interested and intrigued. 4/5 for me, which if the fic continues like this, gets regularly updated, and is handled well, could easily turn into 5/5.

10. Lady Rebecca

Lady Rebecca Professor

American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (A
    Really like this fic so far. I'll reserve judgement for after they flesh out their ideas a bit more. It seems to hold true with the characters in HP and the setting of V for Vendetta. Lets see who V is...

4/5

11. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

i am curious how he wants to mold the plot of V into a significant ending for this, but so far his writing is decent and the story was moving at a good pace.

12. Azrael83

Azrael83 Second Year

I feel that in order to set the plot (for those who haven't seen the movie) for future chapters such a trespass should be forgiven as of now but with the way that the plot is moving and chapter length Such things shouldnt happen after the first 5 chapters.

13. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

In the movie the underground has been closed for over a decade after a bio-terrorism attack

14. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Hmm... I don't actually know what to say to this fic. Using a spell instead of explosives? Where's the fun in that? Also, the "apparition instead of stealth" thing. V is incredibly sneaky and cunning, so the use of apparition ruins the whole concept of a
    Horribly disfigured man whose sole purpose in life now is to get revenge on a government that ruined his whole life.
    V as he's portrayed in this fic is a rather poor amalgamation of a wizard and V. On one hand, you've got V, a super strong, super intelligent man that's been horribly wronged by the government. On the other hand, you have Harry Potter, a mostly average wizard if he's had -for the sake of argument- 10 years to defeat Voldemort and hasn't finished yet. Combine them together and you get a product that is less than the sum of its parts.

On the whole, I have to give this a 1/5 instead of a 0/5, since the spelling and grammar are almost perfect. But that's the only saving grace.

15. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I don't believe the author refers to the bio-terrorism attack in the story. A reference to the attack I think would be needed-- especially for those people not familiar at all with V for Vendetta but are familiar somewhat with the London area.

16. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I've read the V for Vendetta Graphic Novel, think it's probably the best graphic novel ever. I've seen the movie, think it's excellent. So I was interested in what this story would bring, despite being abandoned after 4 chapters.

The first chapter is basically a rehashing of V for Vendetta except with probably Harry as V, and Hermione as Evey. In fact, "V" each states the same exact lines from the movie.

The second chapter, we go back to the future to see that Voldemort had lost the war, supposedly killing Harry. :rolleyes:

Then we meet Neville in the chapter. They talk for a few before she gets a note from V to get out as soon as possible as they were coming for her.

The third chapter:

:wall:

Neville and Hermione barely escape. Then we get the police's point of view. Then back to Neville and Hermione. The two soon meet up with V.

At this point, we find out November 5th is the day Hogwarts fell. Basically, the end copies the part in V for Vendetta where V is on the rooftop with Evey and blows up the Old Bailey. The difference being the author tried to switch up the events a little from the novel in order to make it seem original.

The fourth chapter, back to Neville and Hermione. We find out Ginny's alive. Hermione gives Neville Crookshanks for safekeeping. Then Draco Malfoy shows up in a suit, obviously a villain of some sort.

Hermione gets help from a stranger, but then he feels like he may be in danger. Hermione explains her situation. Hermione and Ginny meet. Turns out that stranger is Ginny's uncle. We then find out Fred is alive.

The author then proceeds to rip off V's speech word for word.

Conclusion:...*Opens mouth to speak but closes it*...

:rrou: :rrou: :rrou:

I could not give a damn how well written this story is. It would of been the story's only saving grace and given a 1/5. However, I reached the Broadcast and could not stand the butchering of such a great story (V for Vendetta) any longer. I would suggest the author get a original thought, and not just make Hermione into Evey while Harry is V. Hell, one of the biggest things about V is he could be ANYONE. Taking that away, V is no longer the type of figure that he was. I am giving this story my first official 0/5.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009