1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Video Card upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I am thinking about upgrading my video card and was hoping that the people here could point me to the right direction of a card that will work the best for my system.

I have a Dell Optiplex 210L. The only thing that is different on it is a DVD-RW burner that I have had installed. Link to stuff http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op210l/en/ug/mtindex.htm

I am worried that my system can not handle a high performance card. Also I am worried about my computer over heating or a new card drawing too much power.
    With this in mind, I don't want to spend much more than 100 dollars on the card.

Any help that I can have would be greatly appreciated

Yours Humbly,
    Paul
    dark007
    Supreme Commander of the Legion of Psycho Killer Sloths.

P.S
    I was told that my sig vid is fucking disgusting. What does everyone think?

P.P.S
    If this is the wrong place for this, could someone please move it?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, those are the manuals, but I couldn't gleam what's inside the computer. Tell us your specs, and there may be some help.

3. Jamven

How do i go about getting the specs?

Paul

4. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Control panel -> system pull up your sys stats like, ram, processor speed, bus speed, operating system, and of course it matters what you want to play on there.

5. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

For less then $100... that could be hard. Is there a particular game that you are trying to run? As for overheating what is your power supply and how many fans are you running? Most average cards these days run for over $200

6. Jamven

Right now I have integrated Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 900. So anything would be better than what I have. As far as games go, the one I have been playing lately is City of Heroes. My power supply is 230 watts, my processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Version: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9 and speed is 2792 MHz. Also I have 1 gb of ram.

Thanks for the help
    Paul

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Your power supply is going to need to be changed out no matter what you upgrade to video card wise, it's the absolute bottom amount that you could get to boot your PC stably. (A nice Dell trick, used nonstop. The PSU shits out b/c it's over taxed, then they charge you 100$ to replace it)

Looking at the specs for this board I found using google, you're screwed.
    It comes with a PCI-E x1 slot. Which pretty much there's only like 3 cards made, that blow, that use the pathetically small bandwidth of pci-e 1x.

One of them:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161079

you could get a PCI video card, but the ones in the 75-100$ price range, the ATI 9250, and the Geforce fx5200, I had both of them. In fact they're in a shrink wrapped bundle on top of my desktop atm until I figure out wtf to do with them. They both barely run todays games at the absolute lowest settings, and I'd sooner flush the 5200 down the toliet before I let it touch a PC again.

You're pretty much SOL, in all honesty, the mass produced pieces of crap that are Dell and gateway are absolutle pieces of garbage. I've had multiples of them before I said the hell with it and built my own, for 1/3 the cost of what nearly the same exact configuration would of cost me from Dell.

Add in that you can't overclock Dells or Gateways, and their support/software is often pure crap, and it's a lost cause trying to upgrade. I'm absolutley astounded that you can even run CoH on that, the onboard video must be sucking up a great majority of your system memory for itself.

8. Jamven

I really don't know how I get my games to work. I do know that I sometimes take the side cover off and have a fan blow on it.
    I have also been playing Fable:TLC, Star Wars: KOTOR 1&2, Age of Empires all of them and Mythologies. I only got the computer for 300 dollers and only because I needed something right then. I am thinking about saving up to get a laptop.