1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Warfare by doRodrigo - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Warfare
    Author: doRodrigo
    Genre: General/Action/Adventure
    Rating: T
    Pairings: None
    Suggested category: "Independent Harry"
    Summary: After a swift decision and a huge inheritance Harry wage war the muggle way against Voldemort. Now the Dark Tosser is going to learn that muggles can teach wizard something about real power.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3001500/1/

This is basically independent!Harry who instead of going all gung-ho against Voldemort on his own, uses his money and resources to engage a muggle-like corporate machinery against him.

Now, I'm hardly a fan of stories that propagate muggle superiority over wizards, which is why I waited so long to try this (I think it was even posted in the "Unrecommended" at one point). But there's just something here that I absolutely like - Machiavellian!Harry to the higher extent. And I don't mean that just as in Harry who's killing DE's, but as Harry who doesn't give a shit about anything but his own interests.

For example, there's a standard plot tool of him buying Daily Prophet. But instead of forcing them to become good journalists, like in all other pussy stories, he hires some shark manager and has him start smear campaigns against anyone who opposes him. Very refreshing.

Two downsides, beside the already mentioned shorts-creaming at muggle organization and ideas.

1) Everything is too easy. In less than a week, Harry has the whole wizarding world under his thumb, like he's the only shark in a poll of goldfishes.

2) Evil!Dumbledore. In this case, I'd have preferred a goody-good idiot that would oppose ruthless Harry on moral grounds. Making him too corrupted and unscrupulous is just over the top IMO.

All in all, a solid fic; Even if you hate muggle-humper!Harry stories, give it a try.

2. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Is this the one where Dumbledore called a goblin a "twit"? I remember starting it several times, but everything happened so fast and some of the dialog was so forced that I lost interest. It seemed a bit like a sequence of flash cards with random mob movie quotes.

Oh, this is sweet. I think I'll start reading it again :)

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I posted this fic in the Unreccommended Thread. I liked the first few chapters, but it got too unrealistic for me, guns are illegal in the UK. You would NOT get private bodyguard (ex military or no) carrying .45's around with them. And you would certainly not get them buying MP5's in London.

The writing style isn't anything special and the plot is only slightly original. There are some good points to it yeah, but not many.

2/5

4. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

New firearm legislation was introduced to Britain in 1996 after Thomas Hamilton walked into a primary school in Dunblane, Scotland and shot to death 16 school children and their teacher. Finalised in March 1998, these new gun laws ban handguns, providing compensation to gun owners for their weapons, while still allowing air weapons. Many applauded this move, seeing it as conveying a message about the kind of society Britain wants to be, a message reflecting the belief that the widespread ownership of handguns is not compatible with a sane, civilized or safe society.

Britain's response to the Dunblane Massacre contrasts sharply with South Africa, in which 461 children under the age of 12 and 358 minors between 12 and 17 years of age were killed by guns in 1998.(1) In short, "each year guns kill enough children to empty an entire school". (2) But because these deaths result from sporadic incidents of violence instead of in massacres, like Dunblane, we remain tolerant of guns and gun violence.

Britain's intolerance of firearm violence has impacted on its gun crime trends. Figures from the British Home Office reveal that there has been a substantial decline in gun crimes involving weapons other than airguns since new laws were introduced in 1996. Between 1996 and 1998, there has been an overall drop of 17% in gun crime involving shotguns, handguns and other firearms excluding air guns.

In contrast, air gun use has increased by 11% from 1996 to 1998, suggesting a substitution effect, where airguns are being criminally used instead of guns that have been banned. This increased use of air weapons in Britain has also been attributed to the fact that air guns are now made as exact replicas of real firearms, so pointing to the need to more carefully monitor or even ban replica guns.

The substitution of air weapons for real firearms in crime has not significantly reduced the number of people killed by guns in England and Wales. But this is not surprising as England and Wales have been described as having "notably low death rates by firearms with less than 1 death per 100 000 people".(3) Consequently, it is unlikely that the introduction of new gun laws would have a dramatic impact on an already low gun death rate.

Indeed, the introduction of new gun legislation to Britain was more than about reducing the number of people injured and killed by guns, being also about conveying a message that Britain refuses to have a gun culture in which guns and gun violence are accepted.

harry could have legally obtained firearms if we go by the canon timeline

The point is that there are now at least 3 million illegal guns in
    the UK - at least one gun per thirty people - *one and three quarter
    million* more illegally owned guns in the UK than legally owned guns
    before the ban; draconian gun laws have *increased* the number of
    guns in the country and put them into the hands of the people most
    likely to kill and maim the innocent and helpless, while ordinary
    law-abiding people have no means whatsoever of defending themselves.
    For the first time, schoolkids in the major cities are carrying guns
    in the playground, as a fashion statement.

hell, all he'd have to do is go to black market dealer which are obviously in Britian.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Madeye, the point of the black market, is that no one knows where it is, unless they have the correct contacts. How is Harry, a boy from middle england, brought up in a ratehr ignorant family, who has had little to do with the muggle world since the age of eleven, going to have the correct contacts? Perhaps I missed the chapter in each book where he was in muggle prison, getting friendly with the "shady" sorts.

6. madeyemoody

one word: DUDLEY

7. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Lmao. You think that the black market would accept some fat, preppy, stuck-up rich kid who bullies little kids for fun? If he was even able to contact them, he would go around acting like he was better than them and they'd shoot his fat ass until he deflated.

8. madeyemoody

You can be the biggest asshole in the world and people may hate you and despise you but when that wad of cash hits the table, they will be all smiles.

Besides after OotP dudley could have actually become a dealer or a no-neck* for a dealer
    *(which requires no common sense just muscle and bulk)

All I'm saying is that dudley could have uses for harry.
    one of which being info into the muggle world.

As for the story the guns were a bit extreme and dumbledore sucks.
    better than average 3 out of 5

9. Soulforger

Soulforger First Year

I think this Dumbledore is too prone to outbursts (evil bastard he may be, but he knows how to keep his cool), and I'm getting sick of the Gringotts Trip that now features in every indy/Harry fic;

Still, I think it's better than most, and there's some original parts. The next two or three chapters should be enough to judge, but right now I'll give it 3/5.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, in this story, the security service guys Harry hired had bought the guns. In fact, so far Harry hasn't used neither magic nor guns; he just walks around and has his hired goons and lawyers do stuff for him, like any respectable tycoon would.

11. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Co-sign. Money is a language all its own. From crack to cable to guns, anything is obtainable with a bit of money. If Dudley kept buying shit on a regular basis they wouldn't kill him, he would make them too much money.

And as far as this fic, I dropped it as soon as Harry offered to pay the Dursleys 50 thousand pounds to sign the form. Pathetic.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  12. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I am of the strong oppinion that guns and other muggle artifacts like computers and mobile phones have no place in the Harry Potter world. It's disturbing how Harry degrades the wizards in this fic. If he'd just change terms he would sound like Malfoy. The only good part is that he doesn't go into guilt trips and uses the power he has.

13. andiais

andiais DA Member

I quite enjoyed this. It wasn't amazing, but it was relatively good. As for Harry paying the dursleys, I saw it the most expedient path in his view.

14. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I already reviewed this fic when it was in Unrecomended but since its here now.

I enjoyed reading it but I have to agree with the people who said that everything seems to easy for Harry. He seems to get everything he wants by using his body guards and lawyers. Its nice to read for a while but it eventually get boring.

The guns are other peeve of mine, I usually enjoy Harry with guns but it dosn't seem realistic in this fic. The pistols that the guards had I could believe, legal or not, plenty of people carry around concealed firearms. The SMGs are another thing altogether. The MP5's that were used in the fic are not weapons that are sold to civilians in any country, here Harry bought them in a regular store. Even in some sort of black market I find it difficult to believe that more then a few of these guns would be available.

I liked this fic but its not a classic, 3/5

15. Kaotac

Kaotac Second Year

While there were some small errors with certain words being in the wrong order, I quite liked this story. Hopefully it'll be updated again soon.

16. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I think I would like this more if I had not already read so many rich!Harry stories. I like the idea, but it has begun to wear on me. I will delay judgement until I can read more of this story, but so far it seems fairly cliche and a bit too forced.

17. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

One of my biggest peaves in Independant!Harry! is how he bribes people. Its not the bribing that has me pissed of, its how fucking incompetent he is at it. Take for example this fic, he is paying the Dursleys 50 thousand pounds. Thats a shit load of money. More than some peoples yearly wages. Another example was Accsention of the Scorpion Sorcerer. I was re-reading it and nearly ripped my hair out when Harry was throwing Millions of galleons around to bribe people to not talk. I nearly cried.

Overall this fic is funny if you dont take it to seriously.

18. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

A bit cliché and unoriginal, I couldn’t stand it after just reading the first chapter.
    Bad, not recommended!

19. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Not all that special of a fic. Its semi-cliche and not that exciting to read, though it has its moments.

3/5

20. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

New Chapter out, the author seem to be making an effort to get rid of some of the clicheness. A few of the characters are still semi-OOC. This fic seems to be improving but my biggest problem is the ease with which Harry accomplishes everything, more conflict would be nice.