1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Weeb by Andrius - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Owimbowé, May 9, 2017.

1. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Title: Weeb
    Author: Andrius
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    Chapters: 14
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: No pairings
    Summary: Harry grows up watching anime and fantasizing about having superpowers. When his Hogwarts letter arrives, he jumps at the chance to live the life of a harem protagonist. Not a harem fic. Timeline moved to the modern day.
    Link: Weeb
    Sequel: Weeb Adventures

In short, Harry's love of anime acquired during childhood leads him to have quite an unconventional view of magic and its applications :

For the sake of the story, the events described take place in our modern time. There are a lot of references to various anime tropes and for the most part they are used quite effectively to circumvent the common clichés of the HP fandom. I genuinly laughed at some of the scenes the author came up with.

The author also chose to keep the tone of the story constantly light as is the usual in this kind of fic. It's eitheir one the the story's strenght or one of its flaws. It is very hard to gauge the effects that some of Harry's actions have on his entourage and the story's universe at large, and his interactions with his friends lack meaning. Great bantz though.

It's not for everyone but if you at least have a passive interest in anime, the humor may resonate with you. 4/5

Oh, and some of you may also have already read another story from the same author, Harry Potter, the Geek.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  2. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    I don't like anime at all but I just started reading this. I found it surprisingly brilliant; it feels like the author knows exactly where they're going with this. The unintentional self-deprecating humor is great and its anti-cliche spoofs are great too. My favorite part so far was definitely the opening scene of Book 4 Part 2.

It sounds awful from the plot description but it sets a good pace and maintains (imo) a humorous and upbeat tone. Easily enjoyable 3.5/5.

3. theronin

theronin Order Member

I wasn't expecting much, but the author has a certain flair for keeping it entertaining without going too far over the top. Solid way to spend a couple hours. 4/5.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

This is a surprisingly funny story that takes two things with overused tropes and somehow comes out being anti-cliche at the end. The author and the work seems very self aware, and never takes itself too seriously, without going full crack. It's a precarious balance I rarely see in humor fics.

Easily 4/5.

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought that this sounded familiar. It's from the author of Harry Potter, the Geek. That profile pic is certainly memorable.

Pretty decent. His writing has certainly improved. It's a fairly humorous and definitely self-aware fic. I like how it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Harry is a distinct and believable character. You don't need to be an otaku or anything to get the fic, just some basic knowledge of anime is enough. Honestly, I skipped from year one (got bored of child!Harry), but year four and five seemed just fine.

Early years were 3/5, later years were around 4/5.

Edit: I'll note that I laughed out loud several times, so it was a successful humor fic.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Meh, it's pretty much just like HPTG except it takes itself slightly more seriously, which is actually a bad thing, because the tone feels conflicted. I felt like the author was very influenced by "An Old and New World", which is a great fic, and tried to borrow its over-the-top tone, but without really being over-the-top, and doing a retread of canon instead of a more original plot, which means it's just boring and a little silly. The weaboo jokes get tired pretty fast and other than that there's just not much substance.

The only good thing I can say about this story is that it avoids cliches and pet-peeves pretty thoroughly. While I enjoy that, it comes at the expense of being dull, as if trying not to step on anyone's toes.

7. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    It made me laugh out loud too. The prose is pretty good and the author keeps walking the fine line between crack and serious without stumbling to either side, which shows a surprisingly amount of planning.

4/5, because Harry gets too obnoxious for me every now and then.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Much like the Geek, it doesn't take itself seriously, which is what makes this worth reading.

Stations of canon are hit quite regularly, even when they don't need to be, but the canon story is basically background for another perverted Harry's escapades.

Writing's mostly okay, and the story's pretty good. It's not anything absolutely amazing, but still worth a go.

3.5, rounded up to 4/5

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Tried it as someone familiar with anime and ... nothing? I mean, I didn't get any further than the first two chapters and those only had one random mention of Gundam, a stereotypical neckbeard weeb for like a paragraph and a brief mention of Harry's wish for a harem.

The rest of it was just ... typical shitty first year fic stuff whose only originality was having dragon dick as a wand core.

2/5

10. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    Preface: Absolutely hate weaboos. Would never have read this if not for the rating - that said, very funny, even if I absolutely hate shit like 'Onii-chan'. Racism towards Cho was funny, the animagus was funny, and for once the fic's specially introduced ability (the pocket) was innovative.

11. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Its a good read without much substance. I personally preferred The Geek over this fic, probably because I know less about anime, nonetheless its one of my favorite type of fics, a chill first year fic featuring a unique Harry. It's funny at times and decently written, but I can't say it's a fic that belongs in the library so I have to settle for a 3/5 rating. I'd like to clarify that there's nothing wrong per se, it's just there's nothing too stellar. It's better than a lot of HP fanfic, but can't stand next what I consider "library material".

That said, give it a read - its a fair time waster. I lol'd when Harry interacted with Trevor.

Edit: I also enjoyed Harry's relationship with the Dursleys. Its nice to read fics where they get along.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

This had be laughing out loud quite a few times. It also actually nailed the way that teens talk on occasion which I was taken aback by. That and Sirius was giving me flashbacks to my own "cool uncle." In terms of being a solid humor story I can definitely recommend it.

4/5

13. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    It was hard to read the first few chapters. I really, really wanted to stop reading when I got to the part in which Harry developed a sudden catgirl fetish. But it is not a serious fic after all, so I read till the end for the teenage humor.

Also, I am not a fan of dramatic shouting in fanfiction. In anime, it works because you get to see the character's face and body language to enjoy the humor. So, it is easy to say that I did not like Harry's major disappointment (!) with Hermione's lack of cat-parts.

Year 5 seems to be the best so far, in my opinion. Definitely the most realistic teenage behavior I read in a while. Focusing on little moments between canon events, instead of making a joke out of canon (like Hermione's fur problem) made the story more enjoyable.

3/5.

I think this was one of the reasons why I continued to read in spite of certain cliches. However, in an attempt to follow canon and make Sirius awesome, Harry suddenly developed problems connecting to them now. The Dursleys could have more screen time.

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

This gets better the further you go. The first few years is nothing but plot rehash with the usual "witty" commentary thrown in, but towards the last few chapters the author is showing an actual imagination and trying to come up with clever twists on the same conon events.

3/5

15. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I have to say that I really enjoyed this fic. It got a number of chuckles out of me. I followed up with his Geek fic, and this feels better. One of the things that bugged me is that Harry went from his canon self to his 'Geek' status over the course of the summer. It takes YEARS of exposure to get up to that level of proficiency, and the character shift was so extreme and sudden to the point that the point before Harry's awakening might as well be another story entirely. Here however, it is focused on a single aspect of media that shapes Harry's personality for years before the story even starts, and just works better.

Also, relevant to the shiny glasses thing: Shiny glasses meme (linked due to page-stretching)

16. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

This got some genuine laugh out loud moments from me. Humor fics are very rare and this rates near the top. 5/5

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not great, but it has interesting twists on the story of Harry Potter. The anime references, while funny if you're immersed in that sort of culture, can be jarring.

I laughed, and I want to say this is a good story, but it's not. It's entertaining to read, but I don't think it's a good story.

Harry's memory when he encounters dementors is fucking hilarious to me, since I went through the same thing, but it doesn't really fit into the plot in any way. It's just kinda... this feels like the Family Guy of fanfictions? Just random throwaway jokes that can be hit or miss.

If I was just rating this on the entertainment value and the moments of "Ha, I get that reference!" it'd probably be 4/5. Because I enjoyed reading it.

But as an actual Harry Potter fanfiction story? It's nothing amazing.

18. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I actually disagree that this story is "not great"... however, if you're comparing it against
    the whole of Harry Potter fanfiction and not purely against other humor-themed stories, you will probably find it lacking. The true genius of the piece is the way the author continuously surprises us with, as Rehio said, "the Family Guy" of fanfictions. As with FG, you probably won't laugh at every joke, but the majority of them have enough shock value/lulz to entertain you.

Personally, I can appreciate stories that don't take themselves too seriously and aren't aiming to break the mold, but instead offer a fun, interesting take on well-worn characters and clichés. I think, given the genre, this is a 4/5 easily, although some scenes are good enough for an actual 5/5 L O L.

19. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

If I laugh out loud at a comedy story, I kinda feel like I have to give it a 5

20. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Weeb now has an update.

Now for the review. It's a 16-chapter story of (mostly) unadulterated hilarity. As with any story, there are negatives, but the positives tend to outweigh these.

Weeb is not awfully original, but it does take an interesting spin on a somewhat overused trope and make it into something golden. Weeb has good grammar and humorous characterization (for a humour story at least). That alone makes it better than the other hundreds of thousands of stories adding to the cesspool that is the Harry Potter fanfiction archive.

As a humour story, it executes its task effectively in the beginning. The humour tends to be crass at some points, but it is an M-rated story, so it's excusable. Initially, the humour factor was ridiculously high, but as of late it's beginning to peter out, almost as if the author's losing steam. Nonetheless, it's pretty decent.

The biggest detracting factor is the momentum of this story. It seems as though the author is losing momentum and is pretty much running on fumes at this point (as I said before). However, rather than petering out into something forgettable in its entirety, there are rare few inspired moments in this story that keep bringing you back for more.

All in all, the humour was excellent in the beginning, but it's now okay-ish. The only thing that keeps this story relevant is its mechanics. And the rare inspired moments of comedic gold. Can't forget those.

Decent time waster for the most part. Don't read if you're looking for an engaging story with excellent plot, well-fleshed out characters, good world-building, etc. though.

Final rating: 3.5/5, rounded down to 3/5 for rating purposes.