1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 14- Flotasam and Jetsam, The Voice of Saruman, The Palantir

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Flotsam and Jetsam
    Yes of course the hobbits invite their hunters to a giant feast with tobacco.
    We get to hear from the hobbits how the war for Isengard was won, and the power of the Isen. The Rivers in this story seem to have personalities.
    The Voice of Saruman-
    This chapter was chilling. Even defeated, Saruman is a scary persuasive man. Where Gandalf is a Mental character, and the Fellowship is a collection of physical characters, Saruman shows what a social primary character in middle earth actually is. Or for a non-RPG perspective, with what we learn in the next chapter about the Palantir, how scary Sauron is that he can out manipulate Saruman.
    The perspective of the 'normals' when Saruman invites Gandalf up into Orthanc is wonderfully done.
    "But they were shut out, listening at a door to words not meant for them: ill-mannered children or stupid servants overhearing the elusive discourse of their elders, and wondering how it would affect their lot."
    The Palantir-
    A lot of this chapter is dealing with the aftermath of Saruman, and taking glee in the hole he dug for himself. Gandalf does a good job exploring saruman's options, but we see little of Gandalf's feelings on the matter. This is his mentor and compatriot, and the one who he has usurped as The White.
    Its great to see Pippin recognizing his mistakes, and Gandalf's parenting lesson is on point. "No, the burned hand teaches best. After that advice about fire goes to the heart."

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 9: Flotsam and Jetsam
    • Starting off I love that Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas stay behind to catch up with Merry and Pippin
    • "I am sorry there is no green stuff: the deliveries have been rather intrrupted in the past few days." Merry is such a delight and they really did him dirty in the movies
    • Ugh the pipeweed is the first real piece of foreshadowing that there's treachery afoot in the Shire. Still, I look forward to that in the end.
    • Finally we get the name of the trees: Huorns. Ents that have become as trees, and have strange powers.
    • Huh, Saurman already had the Ents at his doorstep and was blind to it when he sent his forces out. I wonder how the battle would've gone if not.
    • "a man that hacks once at an Ent never gets a chance of a second blow." Yeah, ngl Ents would be terrifying
    • Holy fuck the description of the Ents at war is terrifying indeed. Have I mentioned how scary they are? I feel like I might have
    • Poor Wormtongue showing up after everything is fucked lmao I love it
    Chapter 10: The Voice of Saruman
    • Oh man, the entire scene with Saruman was enthralling to the point that I didn't think to note anything down till it was over. Really goes to show how far a maxed out CHA score with expertise in Persuasion/Deception can take you.
    • Treebeard going from distrust to enthusiasm when told Gimli hewed 42 orc necks in battle is a great little moment.
    Chapter 11: The Palantír
    • I have a friend that works at this company lol, will never not be a bit funny
    • It's late and I'm tired so I honestly powered through this to be caught up and have few thoughts.

3. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

In the movies, Merry was sacrificed to give Eowen more space. In the books, we shall see. I fear Eowen will be sacrificed to give Merry more space.

They did a good job of dropping the pipeweed, making a note about how odd it was, and then getting swept up in everything to forget to ask gandalf. I think a lot of Gandalfs decisions in these chapters is going to come back for some ass-biting.

4. LostInThought

LostInThought First Year

I'm taking a page out of @Nazgoose 's book here and switching to bullet points. Maybe this will help me make these posts in a more timely fashion.

Chapter 9:
    • After the faster speed in the last section, we get a very relaxed start into this with food & smoking
    • I had not expected that we would get a detailed description of the battle of Isengart after already seeing the aftermath
    • It sounds epic. I'm curious whether it will be in the movie (which I will watch after finishing the book).
    Chapter 10:
    • Just leaving Saruman there seems... unsafe
    • Wizards might not need to eat, but won't Wormtongue die of thirst/hunger?
    • The hobbits are part of the Ent song now. Yay!
    Chapter 11:
    • I like our last look (for now) at the Ents
    • Saruman is just an interesting character
    • I continue to dislike Gandalf. I'm rooting for the Hobbits, here, and I wish they would get more upfront information.
      • The whole Palantir incident seems to be framed as (only) Pippin's fault, and I hate it

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'm starting to wonder if the German translation makes Gandalf more of a dick somehow because you're the first person I meet who actively dislikes Gandalf. I dunno that he's everyone's favorite, but active dislike like this is new to me.

6. LostInThought

LostInThought First Year

Maybe I'm just too biased at this point and interpret all his statements in the worst possible way.

I'm certainly looking forward to google for more opinions on Gandalf after finishing the trilogy.