1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened with the Vampire: The Masquerade movie project?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Oct 11, 2007.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

It's almost been three years since New Line Cinema acquired the rights of the World of Darkness (new and old) to either make a Vampire movie based on 'Vampire: The Masquerade' or 'Vampire: The Requiem'. Last we (or at least I) knew, they were looking for a director and some writers to take on the project, but anyone has said anything about this since.

Anyone of you might have a guess on what happened? Are they still on it?

As a fan of the genre, and a fan of 'Vampire: The Masquerade' (I do not like 'Requiem' though, I think they screwed up cutting off all the religious background and origins) I'm somewhat disappointed at the results of the movies based on the bloodsucker mythos until now, 'Underworld' being the greatest disappointment of them all, being, for me, 'Interview with the Vampire' the only one fairly decent of the last 10-15 years.

I cannot help to think that with 'VtM' they could probably do the best Vampire movie ever, if they did it well, although then I remember 'D&D' and a shudder runs through my spine...

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Remember, kids: canon V:TM is so damn emo it hurts. Perhaps the lack of a movie is a blessing in disguise.

3. The Mysterious Nobody

Meh, I don't like the ending they gave to it and all that gehenna crap, which I find annoying, overly tragic and a fucking failure, and most canon stories come indeed with a heavy overdose in the angst department, but the background, the concept and the fictional mythos are too good not to be taken even as an inspiration.

I thin it all comes down at how you've played and who you've played with.

Even though I say that, a large part of me cannot bring itself to disagree with you.

4. Tehan

"Congratulations, you're a vampire! You can't have sex any more, can't eat anything, can't drink anything other than blood, and are completely unable to feel genuine emotions! And just to make sure we've squeezed ALL the fun out of it, you now have a demon living in your soul that will eventually and inevitably drive you batshit crazy!"

Sure, a lot of DMs will be happy to chuck out all that emo crap, but a movie will be forced to stay true to the source. No thanks.

5. The Mysterious Nobody

That can be taken the emo way or not. The premise is tragic and a bit overdramatic, but there's no need to do an angst/cutting fest over it. There are a helluva ways to take and focus a story on it. Hell, I love the fucking game and I have the same level of "emo-ness" that Lee Van Cleef had = Zilch, nada, nothing, 0.

On another topic, I thought that Vamps in VtM could actually have sex, but they had close to zero interest for it, as they couldn't breed, nor they could experience a great deal of pleasure doing so ( at least, compared to the pleasure of feeding). in fact, if I recall correctly, in the Videogame "VtM: Bloodlines", there's an option to actually have sex with a female vamp at one point, and as far as I know, the game should be canonical.

6. Tehan

Ah, the lovely Jeanette. Good times.

Sex is technically possible for vampires - for the guys, it's just a matter of manipulating blood, and the girls just have to lie there - but there's little to no physical enjoyment, and sex with mortals is seen as a freakish thing to do. Not to mention that sex between vampires is looked upon as a Sabbat thing to do among the Camarilla... exchanging blood, and all that, since there's no other bodily fluids available to do the job.

Moving along, I'd say you've got a point, Nob. It all depends on the makers of the thing. If they want an emo cutfest, they've got all the ammo they need. Otherwise, they'll have to fiddle with canon a bit, which White Wolf may or may not like them doing... but since they've dumped Masquerade like a pregnant girlfriend, they might not even care.

7. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Hmm, I have not even heard about the movie so I can't tell you anything, well anything that would be the truth at least =d. They did make a show but a few episodes in the leading character died in a car accident so that got canceled.

Interesting tidbit though, I don't remember the companies name (it's the one that made the MMO named 'EVE'), but it purchased white wolf. They are now making a mmo game that may or may not be based in the vampire: X world. Just something that you may want to keep an eye on.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If you want a good vampire movie, then go check out 30 days of night, or I am Legend.

Because a V:TM movie is about as exciting as the next D & D movie. Hell, maybe it'll even have Marlon Wayans in it as well.

The world is too big for one movie to explain, things are going to get changed, fans are going to be pissed, movie is going to flop.

9. The Mysterious Nobody

Ah, D&D... I still cringe every time I think about that piece of smoldering shit some like to call a movie. I would go with the "ET Videogame solution", but with a twist; bury every copy of the movie, plus the cast & crew in the Nevada desert. Let's just imagine a world where that sin against humanity never existed...

As for "I am Legend", I'm not expecting anything awesome, but the other two adaptations are decent enough, so it should be at least decent. Love the novel, though. Saw the trailer today too; I went to see 'El Orfanato (The Orphanage)' and they put it. Awesome film, by the way.

'30 days of nigh' is the one I'm looking forward to, though. Together with 'Stardust' both will make my month if they actually fulfill the hype.

On the original topic, I think a film about VtM (or VtR) should be approached like the game "Bloodlines" does. You're dropped there and the things necessary for you to understand the movie are explained as it develops, but there is no explicitly-unnecessary information given to you, or too much insight on most topics. You're right though, as is Tehan, they would probably make an horrid adaptation, but still, there's a certain degree of curiosity that I can't help to feel towards such project...