1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What in Harry Potter did you think was magic but later found out was just British?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sorrows, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never encountered pumpkin juice in any context other than Harry Potter. I'm not sure why @HeirGaunt thinks it's a real thing?

2. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

It is referenced as a real thing on the first page of this thread.

3. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I have seen stores sell pumpkin juice around halloween in Germany, my Grandmother who is diabetic also drinks it occasionally.

It's not particularly bad, but I never enjoyed it.

4. MightlessPhilosopher

MightlessPhilosopher Banned

I thought using broom closets to do... You know what was a Harry Potter thing. I was proved wrong when I happened upon a very noisy broom closet. At work. And I knew who it was. Awkward.

5. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I mean, pumpkin juice even exists in India, but it's definitely not something you can find being sold on street corners. There's some people who fetishize all things pumpkin because it's easily digestible or something who have it in the deep recesses of their homes. It's somewhat common among diabetics as well. But it's not a regular drink. Like, you don't get offered pumpkin juice anywhere you go, you have tea/coffee like regular human beings. When it was mentioned that it's something had semi-regularly in polite company in Britain I genuinely went wtf.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Treacle tart?

I learned this sometime in elementary school... from a D&D rule book.

This.
    I probably saw them in stores, years before I knew they were British or that they contained hats and bad jokes. Still haven't bought any, but I've fired off plenty of those little champagne bottles full of streamers over the years.

A substitute name for Sundaes that is so ridiculously fey it should be a hopeless understudy on Broadway.

If you can fit two or more people in it, someone will engage in some sort of sexual hi-jinks in it. Doesn't matter if it's as small as a closet, as big as a movie theater, or as awkward as a mid-80s turbo-charged hatchback that your girlfriend thinks she just stalled because, just as you managed to get your head under the steering wheel, you accidentally put the gear shift in neutral with your chest.

You know what, just never mind that last one. Forgeticus! Obliviate!

7. NanB

NanB Guest

Calling adults by their title+last name
    Here children call adults, including teachers and friends' parents, by their first name. I haven't called a single person by their title+last name in my life, so I thought that was a Harry Potter only thing when I was younger.

(Edit:Though, now that I think about it, that might be an age thing instead of a country thing? I know my country did the whole title+last name thing decades ago, but it had gone out of style by the 90s, so it might be both?‍)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2021
  8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, in the UK folk like teachers generally get addressed as Mr/Mrs/Ms, or as Sir or Miss. Whether that applies to friends parents or not is more down to your own parents and what level of formality they choose to impose.

9. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

It's pretty common where I grew up (Midwest USA). Kids call teachers and most non-relative adults are called Mr./Ms./Mrs. LastName, most people call college professors Professor LastName, etc. There are some college professors who had us call them by their first name, but that was partially a preference thing, partially because we were all adults, and partially because it was a community college instead of something like MIT.

10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

For some reason I never used 'Professor' + last name in college (university). If you had a doctorate, everyone called you 'Doctor' + last name.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Most University professors in the states aren't able to use the title from what I understand. Most are either Assistant Professors or Associate Professors. Only full Professors or those with the Emeritus tag qualify to use "Professor" in front of their names. It's treated as more prestigious than 'Doctor' by some for that reason.

I haven't actually confirmed that but I've been hearing it for a long time from various places when it comes up.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  12. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

That's true outside the States as well. It's one reason why, even as a kid, I was kind of unable to digest all teachers at Hogwarts being professors.

13. Ched

It's why I felt like Hogwarts really was the premier institution of magical learning in the world (not just Britain). Because they actually had a full staff of professors, not just 'teachers' like some pissant normal school. :p

14. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Cough! Lockhart Cough!

15. Ched

Except he had a chunk of the world fooled thinking he really was a badass - makes sense (somewhat) that he'd have the title.

16. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I hate to break it to you, but that's not how professorships are awarded. :p

17. Ched

As someone who has both a PhD and is a Professor (granted not a full one yet)... it feels like it kind of is. :p

18. briannakoslov

briannakoslov Squib

High Score:
    Pumpkin juice. My grandma was very against Harry Potter because of "witchcraft" so on my eleventh birthday, when she made pumpkin juice and gave me a glass, I was very moved , thinking she got over her hate and tried to do something nice for me, because I loved the books. When I said so, she told me she drank it because of health benefits, along with a lot of other people. I was floored.
    However, I am sad to say pumpkin juice, at least made by grandma, tastes awful.