1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete What Would Slytherin Harry Do? by bigdonadiet - R

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by thisperson, May 29, 2007.

1. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: What Would Slytherin Harry Do?
    Author: bigdonadiet
    Rating: R
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Humor
    DLP Category: AU
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 44,417
    Updated: January 21, 2010
    Published: May 27, 2007

Summary: An occasional series of one-shots exploring how Slytherin!Harry would have handled key moments from the books. Events will appear out of order.
    Link: http://www.ficwad.com/viewstory.php?sid=64056
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3559907/1/What-Would-Slytherin-Harry-Do
    Link: http://patronuscharm.net/s/88/1/
    Link: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/tags.php?tag=what+would+slytherin+harry+do?

Did a search and couldn't find it, so I though it would make a good addition to the Library.
    Even though Harry would have never been put into those situations if he were a Slytherin, I still enjoyed
    it.

Edit: Yes it is a bit harsh, and the second one had almost no point (if just to show us more of Slytherin Harry) yet I am still hoping that the next ones will be better, hoping for a ressurection(sp?) of Voldemort, and Chamber of Secrets scene.
    But I am not holding my breath.

I forgot to review.
    I would give the first a 4.5/5
    And the second one a 3/5

Checked by Minion, January 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It was alright in some senses in average in others.
    Some of the things where great like the Dobby.
    Other things not so much.
    There was too many sentences like,
    "but they were distracted by a chorus of gasps and coos from the other side of the room"
    That don't seem to flow well. Seems forced or something.
    Then there is supersmart!Harry with his last minute planing.
    He just seems to smooth with a few things like the room growing trick.
    The whole, lets screw over the rule works great since that is something he could prepare for, but as I said some of the things he does is too perfect.
    Not bad, and just average too me. Yes I grade harsh at times.

3. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I kinda like this story. It grows on you if you read it in several steps.

4. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I very much enjoyed it. It had me giggling like mad all the way through.

5/5

5. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Nice to see that bigdonadiet is posting again. I liked it a lot, but I want MOAR. 4/5.

6. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

This was a fun read. Chapter two was the best.

4/5

7. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Aye indeed, chaptere two is the best....

Count it as a humor/parody fic and I'd give it 5/5.
    Worth reading this one...

"Silence" by the same author is a nice one as well.... "Allah akbar" anyone??

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  8. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

"better a cousin than a mudblood" HOHOHOHOHO. that made the whole story for me right there. 5/5

9. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

not really a 5/5 story, but not bad at all. Interesting concepts at the very least, in fact I'd much appreciate the author turning it into an actual fic. not that it's likely to happen but...
    meh
    4.35/5

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

That was great. Both of them. For some reason, though, my favorite part was Harry's trunk. I suppose it is just refreshing after all the "Intricately carved chestnut rune-covered masterpieces with a house inside."

4.5/5

11. Moeed

Moeed Third Year

The part where he finds a loophole in the education decree was brilliant though increasing the size of the room via Dumbledore is something i just don't see happening. Overall it was very good.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The best part was Daphne. o_o

13. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, the idea behind that was to "tease" a superpowered Harry, one who could snap his fingers and do all sorts of complicated magic, then show how that same effect could be achieved through deception. I don't want a Super!Harry, I want a guy who thinks on his feet and plans ahead; who lies, manipulates, and schemes to survive and get ahead, rather than relying on sheer power and blind luck, both of which have a tendency to run out at the worst times.

Using Dumbledore as part of the deception isn't that far-fetched, either. Dumbledore in book five is desperate to protect Harry and keep him from being expelled, to the point where he confesses to treason in order to deflect the blame from him. He's also smart enough to realize what Harry was doing and perfectly willing to give him a helping hand in trying to rattle Fudge and Umbridge. Keep in mind, this is our first look at Slytherin!Harry, but Dumbledore's been watching him for years now and has a reasonable idea of how he thinks.

Well, it won't be an actual fic in the way that most people think of them (linear, one event after another, all proceeding according to a specified timeline), but as I continue to build it up, plots should begin to emerge. Many key events for this Harry are the same, but the direction he takes to get there is very different.

Think of if less like a regular fic, and more like the movie "Memento", where the story jumps around, but is all tied together. Not all of them will be world-shattering events, the second chapter is an example of that, and not all of them will be humor, but they are still the same story. Independent but interconnected.

You should get it. I have two currently in process, and half a dozen or more in various plotting stages. I know that the people who have followed my posting habits are rolling their eyes right now, but I'm pretty inspired by the reaction to this and having a blast writing it so far.

Maybe a tick harsh, but I can take it. Of course, the line you snipped wasn't actually a sentence, it was a fragment of a sentence taken out of context, but whatever.

This Harry is supersmart, but give me a Harry who's way too clever over a Harry who's way too powerful any day. There are enough fics around where Harry can wave his wand and subdue a dozen Death Eaters while blocking a Killing Curse with his bare left hand. I felt like it was time to try something different.

Big D

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  14. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oi! Big D! No double posting, mate. The mods might come around and kick your arse back to the stone ages. Just edit your previous post to reply to people.

This fic gets a 5 out of 5 from me. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. :)

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Double-posting = a no-no, Big D.
    I merged them. Now you know. And knowing's half the battle. G.I. Nonjon! A real American... noncom?

I read the first two little ficlets on PP3 and certainly enjoyed these. I think I like the idea of small bits and little twists on What Would Slytherin Harry Do? rather than to actually read an entire fic with Harry in Slytherin. Or maybe it's just too many of those fics kinda suck hard.

Either way, clever stuff. Will see if there are more when Ficwad starts playing nice with me (getting that stupid 'slight downtime' message at the moment).

16. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Great! I liked this immensely: so very rare we have a pleasure to see excellent Slytherin Harry at work: as author correctly pointed Super-Power and never-thinking Griffindor Harry is grating on my nerves lately, especially when said Harry want's to be 'normal' and uses his Super Power when yet again stupidly falls to the someones trap.

Unfortunately, most authors think that "Slytherin" Harry should have a 'cool' bad-ass image, been raised by DE, adopted by Snape, married to Malfoy or some shit like that. He should tell then Dumbledore to 'piss off old coot', 'don' fuck with me' and 'you manipulative bastard' and scare shit out of a Weasley with some flashy magic or martial arts. I hope that most readers on DLP and further hate this kind of stuff and express more interest in smart Harry.

P.S. Recently I watched anime "Death Note" and was amazed in battle of intellects between two main protagonists there. Now I hope wistfully that someone could write Harry with the same intellect as Light or L. Bid D might come close.

4,5/5 (for now)

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good little ficlets, I liked how he completely outsmarted Fudge & Umbridge :), twice.

On a side note all I can hear in my head is "What would Slytherin Harry do? If he were here right now? He'd probably eat a fudge or two. That's what Slytherin Harry'd do."

Quite amusing, and I'm gonna look forward to the next little fics.

Aekiel

18. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Good stuff, even if I am beyond sick of all things Slytherin!Harry. I'm not usually a fan of ficlets, but in this case it saved me the normal headache of Slytherin!Harry so it's good.

3.5/5

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Whole thing had me laughing all the way. Absolutely funny. 5/5 for me.

Richard.

20. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The usual Slytherin!Harry is some punk kid who likes guns, katana's, Rolls-Royces, and crack. This was a step away from the normal, overly-used Slytherin!Potter and made me laugh all the way through. Ingenious. 5/5