1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete When you read this I'll be gone by trux - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: When you read this I'll be gone
    Author: trux
    Genre: General
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure & Horror
    Words: 69,004 (fictionhunt)
    Chapters: 19 (fictionhunt)
    Pairings: None
    Suggested category: "General"
    Summary: Eight year old Harry found out about his godfather. He was permitted to visit the man in Azkaban every couple of days. Everyone wants Sirius to dissapear and the entire wizarding world to forget it ever happened. Harry is ruining everyone's plans...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3016691/1/
    Link: http://fictionhunt.com/read/9207270/1

As the summary says, 8 year old Harry gets to have daily visits with Sirius. But regardless of how the summary may sound, this is definitely not one of those cute family-rulez angst fests. Hell, it's not even Harry-centric.

Instead, this story is mostly dealing with political games happening around Harry's visits, rather then the mushy bonding stuff itself. POV is for the most part shifting between three old auror friends, who had with time drifted apart and are now on the opposing sides of this situation - Mad-Eye Moody, Rufus Scrimgeour and an OC Azkaban warden.

The best aspect of this story is noir-ish writing style, which fits perfectly with this sort of idea. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind to see more of Harry in the future, but I guess looking at him from aside creates sort of a mysterious air around him.

Very good and original story, if you're not married to Harry-centric action-packed adventures. 4/5

Edit by Minion, Jan. 2, 2016
    The original link is dead and I added a link to fictionhunt.
    If I linked a wrong story, or if you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

I've got this on my story alerts. It's an original concept, as no-one has decided to have the Ministry try to get Harry to sign Sirius death warrant. If it doesn't get into the libratry, I think it should at least be in the trash bin.

4/5

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

Surprisingly enjoyable. The characterisations were interesting and probably the most intriguing part of the story, the writing style is also quite nice although there are some basic errors that could be fixed with a beta reader. Unusually this is improved by not being Harry centric and the politics and darker underside shown by the ministry here makes a nice change from both the angst or fluffiness which usually pervades any sort of young Harry meets Sirius stories, I would say 3/5 increasing to 4/5 if the author goes back and corrects the spelling errors that pop up repeatedly.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Not bad, I liked it. I thought the non Harry-centric bit would bug me, but the way it almost revolves around him made for a good read. 4/5

5. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Its good. Not my kind of story, but I have to admit its good.
    Characters are developed slowly and seem very real. Offers brief snippets of the personality of the OC so you could form your own opnion of him. I like it. 4.5/5

6. razz

razz Seventh Year

I really liked this.

There are quite a lot of spelling issues, but the author has mentioned something about an absent beta, so. The plot is very interesting, and the characterization has been done extremely well, IMO.

Definitely recommended.

7. Teal_Thanatos

Teal_Thanatos First Year

Wow, this was amazing. I really enjoyed the entire thing.

8. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

"And now for something totaly different" Monty Python (I think?)

This is where no AU has gone before. If Sirius lives, and can talk
    he would be proven not guilty, Well then what other mistakes did the government make during the DE trials.

What will it be like 50 or 100 years from if/when the records from the detainees from the "war or terror" are open to the public. I think many of the war on terror detainees are guilty/not guilty of making a living as a soldier/freedom fighter/hire gun/mob (warlord) thug. The best job around. I can't comment on the legal scene of the "northern Irish troubles", But the HP world reminds me of chicago during the 1920's crooks running wild and then bribing their way out of jail.

I want to see Madam Bones, Dumbledore and others (more oc, maybe some of those who took the bribes) show up in the story, but having all of wizarding england distilled though the cynical eyes of Rufus, Hayden and Mad Eye is working out well. I really want to know why Hayden went to Azkaban, what did he turn down or what was the final straw.
    I hope trux will stick with the story. I think it is a DLP keeper, 4/5 stars.

9. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

it was good technically but really wasnt my cup o' tea not so much because it wasnt harry-centric but more because it was so politically charged. just not to interested in that. Its very good in all other aspects though. the three aurors were my personal favorite characters. 3/5

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Still going great. But according to author, only two more chapters till the end. I have a strange feeling he/she will kill off Sirius...

11. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, now with more danger. Some insights to hayden, and questions about moody.

12. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

i am not too big a fan of non Harry centric fics but this one was an exception, it was really well written and i greatly enojyed it
    4/5 not five cause the non Harry just does not go with me very well.

13. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, with a twist. I think ip82 might be right about Sirius' life span.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Good: The author changed her mind regarding Sirius and let him live. She actually admitted that, in the original script, he was supposed to get killed, Remus to end up in Azkaban and Harry oblivated. But thankfully, the reviewers had apparently gotten a hint of this and pestered her about it, until she changed her mind.

Bad: The plot in the last few chapters seemed very pached up and illogical. She had gotten rid of the marauders getting screwed up in duel with aurors, but for some reason she kept the duel itself, which honestly didn't make much sense in this new setting.

Good: She'll be doing more of 8 year old Harry's POV, which she's doing great.

All in all, still going strong, with barely visible decline.

4/5

15. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

There has been at least a couple of chapter updates to this fic so i hope i aint necro posting.

Anyway when this story first came out, or i heard about it through DLP, i thought it was brilliant. I loved the point of view it was taken from and i liked where the story was going. I kinda forgot about this for a while and when i read the latest chapters it was like a whole new author had taken it over, and not at all in a good way. This story for me had everything it needed to be great it just didnt deliver, a great shame for me.

16. supernova

supernova Guest

Not my kind of story but good and well written, and an interesting plot, I’m only up to chapter 10. 4/5

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Update on the state of the story:

A 19 chapter version is available on fictionhunt and I added the link in the original post.

PM me if it isn't the complete version or an entirely different story I linked.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016