1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Which magic system is the best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you could have the magic from one magical world, from either book, T.V., film or game, what would it be?

Personally, I'd go for the magic from Harry Potter, for its sheer usefulness and lack of cost.

If I couldn't have Harry Potter, then I'd go for the magic from the Age of Five trilogy.

How about you?

2. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

I'd have to say I'd go for the magic of Dresden. It's very flexible, and it seems to come with costs appropriate to the power it grants. Plus, I really like the idea of the death curse.

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm a fucking jedi.

4. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I'd rather be able to work the magics of David Edding's The Belgariad and The Malloreon. Yes, you can't ward things and you can't enchant objects, but you can take any shape, live forever, conjure at will, and what not. The only reason that they can't do things is they've yet to put their minds to it.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personally I would want to be a Wizard of Azyr, 4th Wind of Magic, from Warhammer Fantasy. Its admittedly not as well rounded as Harry Potter magic, but it is also fairly well without cost. Its a very powerful school of magic, dedicated to the Heavens, or the skies. Wizards dedicated to it have varying levels of forsight, from having full strength visions to simply reading messages in the stars. They also control all aspects of the weather, and also many celestial phenomenon if they're powerful enough. Basically they can do anything from summon a light rain storm, to a powerful lightning bolt, to calling a comet from outer space down to Earth.

[And epic quote goes along the lines of "I just wanted you to blow the doors off, not destroy the entire bloody castle!" said whilst a noble lord looks at the steaming remnants of a castle he had planned to use as the base for his invasion of a rivals terratory.]

In Fantasy they are some of the more sought after wizards by all levels of society, from the Emperor down to simple peasant land owners, because they can forsee events to come, they can ably assist in a fight, and they can ensure you never suffer a drought. In addition, no one wants them as an enemy, since they can ensure you never have any rain, and also can just summon a comet to land on your home.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

hnnn... Eddings or Dresden, id say. Maybe a mix thereof. Mab is Win.

7. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

I would be a Jedi. If the Force is not magic, than I would be a wizard from Harry Potter series of course.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  8. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

I'd be a Jedi too, but if that doesn't count as magic, it'd either be HP magic or from the Eddings 'verse.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... hell, if your going outside of "magic" to the force, Can I be Darth Vash then? ^_^

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off! Classic :D.

Anyways, I'd probably got for Harry Potter magic, if only for the Cruciatus Curse and Imperio. If I couldn't have that... Possibly Dresden, though maybe Discworld magic... Despite the chance of being taken over by a Thing, I'd love to be able to summon Death with three small sticks and 4 cc of mouse blood :D.

Aekiel

11. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Actually, you can substitute an egg for the blood, as long as it's fresh.

I'm gonna have to follow the Eddings trend and vote for the Will and the Word system. It's just so ridiculously overpowered.

12. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Chronicles of Amber. You can pretty much get whatever you want... ever... period. The only cost is a bit of walking and a highly active imagination. The Logrus's magic is fucking awesome as well.

So, either the Pattern's walking or the Logrus's pulling.

13. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

Diablo 2. While I'm sure most of you are confused about this choice, being limited as Diablo 2 spells are, I just want it for the novelty of being able to 0rb sp4m in real life.

If I couldn't have that, then yes, Harry Potter magic.

14. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Either Will and Word or the D&D system.

15. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

D&D core system, or Epic spellcasting? And allowing, or disallowing Wish/Miracle? Ooh, what about meta-magic? Sorcerer style, Wizard style, Cleric style, or one of the lesser known styles?

16. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well, since the question is which one I could have, definitely including Epic spellcasting and Wish/Miracle. I' not very familiarwith this meta-mgic thing, can you elaborate? Wizardstyle is the best IMO, there is no dependence on a third party as in cleric-style, and it is more systematized and versatile than Sorcerer-style, though if you a more brute force aproach, Sorcerer-style might be better for you.

17. Nobody

Nobody Backtraced

The Force.

Either that, or the system of magic I created. Won't elaborate on it here unless asked, but I think it trumps most others. Besides the Force. :D

18. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Definatly the force, I would love to force grip/force lightning someone.

19. Darkmakr

Darkmakr Seventh Year

Elphaba's magic from Wicked. It's just a facinating type of magic, I mean c'mon! Monkeys with Wings!

20. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

Battlelords Matrix Control - Space Fold and Ra are pricey but sweet