1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why you should fall in love with a Hufflepuff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Sep 26, 2015.

?

Which house would the person you enter a relationship with be in?

1. Gryffindor

3.2%
  2. Slytherin

31.7%
  3. Hufflepuff

30.2%
  4. Ravenclaw

34.9%
  1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

According to Rowling a Hufflepuff is is the right girl/guy for you. What's your opinion? Obviously Tonks is hot and that's why you should bang her, but I digress here is what Rowling says about Hufflepuff:

1. The Sorting Hat says so
    Many of us probably have a checklist of characteristics that we’re looking for in a partner. Maybe we’d like to find a witch or wizard who is charming, clever and successful.

So, does that mean you should go out with someone who embodies Gryffindor, Ravenclaw or Slytherin qualities? Hold your Hippogriffs, people. Those qualities alone aren’t enough, if your partner isn’t also kind and loyal. Take it from the Sorting Hat: ‘They are just and loyal / Those patient Hufflepuffs are true / And unafraid of toil.’ Sounds ideal, no?

2. Hufflepuffs aren’t just nice
    Nobody would dispute that Hufflepuffs are the ‘nice’ house. But isn’t nice usually another way of saying that someone has no other personality traits? Hufflepuffs are so much more.

Case in point, one of the coolest characters in the wizarding world: Nymphadora Tonks. A Metamorphmagus with bubblegum-pink hair? Who gives birth then goes to fight Voldemort? Being nice doesn’t mean boring.

3. Ah, Cedric Diggory
    Let’s just do a quick comparison between Cedric Diggory and Cormac McLaggen. When Gryffindor Cormac goes on a date with Hermione, he puts her off by talking about himself, boasting about his prowess on the Quidditch pitch, and being rather, ahem, forward.

Hufflepuff Cedric Diggory has just as much reason to brag: he’s a Prefect, Captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team, and is selected as the Hogwarts Champion in the Triwizard Tournament. He is humble and kind but plenty of others notice his good qualities. Angelina Johnson calls him ‘that tall, good-looking one’ and Katie Bell quips that he is ‘strong and silent.’ So there might’ve been a queue for Cedric, but there are plenty more desirable Hufflepuffs.
    4. Hufflepuffs won’t turn into a Dark wizard after a bad break-up
    Hufflepuff has the fewest Dark wizards of any house at Hogwarts – which we take to mean that they act decently when confronted with difficult circumstances. Ever been through a break-up where the other person turned into a total Dementor? Not a problem when you’re going out with a Hufflepuff.

5. They’re accepting of everyone
    When the founders of the other Hogwarts houses were explaining what types of students they most wanted to teach, they picked very specific qualities. Said Helga Hufflepuff: ‘I’ll teach the lot, and treat them just the same.’

Hufflepuffs accept everybody. They’ll probably invite you round for a home-cooked dinner. The Hufflepuff Common Room is right next to the Hogwarts kitchens, after all.

6. Even J.K. Rowling thinks Hufflepuffs are brilliant
    In the past, J.K. Rowling has said, ‘In many, many ways, Hufflepuff is my favourite house.’

Why? J.K. Rowling says to look at how they act during the Battle of Hogwarts. ‘The Hufflepuffs, virtually to a person, stay – as do the Gryffindors. Now, the Gryffindors comprise a lot of foolhardy and show-offy people… You know, there’s bravery and there’s also showboating, and sometimes the two go together. The Hufflepuffs stayed for a different reason. They weren’t trying to show off, they weren’t being reckless. That’s the essence of Hufflepuff House.’

If you can’t be a Hufflepuff, be with a Hufflepuff.
    Copied from Pottermore.

So what's your opinion?

Personally I think a Slytherin is best. Chances are you'll end up with a wealthy partner if they are from a prominent pure blood house. I've also thought that ambitious meant experimental in the sack. Maybe I'm just shallow but I think this is the best kind of arrangement. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is bad, and you should feel bad.

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
  4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm honestly not sure what the hell I'm reading...

...But hey, fuck it, why not.

Hufflepuff sucks, come at me bro. Ravenclaw4lyfe.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pete here has clearly been placed into Hufflepuff by every House Sorting quiz he's ever taken.

I get it bruh. You're just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Keep fighting the good fight.

6. Stan

Stan Order Member

What the hell is huffelpuff?

7. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

They're accepting of everyone alright, they don't call them Hufflesluts for nothing, you know.

I mean people thought Ginny was a slut and Harry got robbed for ending up with her but poor Neville got stuck with the ol' castle bicycle Hannah Abbot and no one says a word.

Getting pretty sick of this willful ignorance to be honest. :facepalm

8. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

You know, there's this episode of Seinfeld called The Sponge, where Jerry dates this really nice woman: she volunteers at a homeless shelter, marches for people with AIDS, and she doesn't even mind that Jerry got her phone number off of a list of AIDS Walk participants. She is also good looking and a good conversationalist, but Jerry gets turned off of her because he doesn't want to be with someone who's "giving and caring and genuinely concerned about the welfare of others". This is because Jerry is a normal guy who likes to make fun of people, is reasonably selfish, and aware that his lifestyle isn't compatible with people like her who are "too good".

The reason I'm saying this, is because the way you characterized Hufflepuffs is just like this girl, and as nice as it makes them, those traits are not especially attractive, certainly not if you're not the most "moral" or "good" person around. I chose Ravenclaw because I genuinely admire wit and gets attracted to intelligent women, and I can't see myself dating a girl with a "holier than thou" attitude and who would try to correct any injustice around during our date. Hufflepuffs may be good people, but not everyone likes good people.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well damn, Atram Noctem, you've convinced me. On the surface having some eternally sweet kind hearted piece of arse sounds nice, but where's the witty banter? Where's that special couple moment when a small child falls down in front of you and you both just burst out laughing?

Vote no to Cedric Diggory!

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everyone knows Hufflepuffs give the best blowjobs.

11. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

And host the best parties.

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

According to the official Pottermore house quiz I was sorted into Gryffindor. As for this thread I must confess that I was bit drunk at the time and after reading it I thought it was kind of funny in a sad way.

I think posts like this show why Pottermore has gone so far down hill. When they write more about why you should date Hufflepuffs than they can give you information on characters or world building.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does the Sorting really matter though? Harry asked to be put anywhere but Slytherin, the Hat dicked around for a minute and then granted Harry's wish. Then canon (Epilogue, but bear with me) tells us that if Harry's kid really wants to, he can ask the Hat for special treatment too and it will happen.

Now the question is, was Harry (and presumably All-Bus) allowed to influence his Sorting because he's Harry Potter (or his son), or is it just something no one else ever thought to do and the Hat be like "hey, whatever you want dude, I'm just fucking witcha". Or it's happened before, but no ever talks about it because then you're in the coolest club there is that no one knows about.

Myself, I'd at least try to talk to the Hat and ask to be put in Gryffindor, because from what we know from canon, it seems to be the most fun House there is. I'm not particularly studious, dungeons are cool but I don't wanna live in one and we know fuck-all about Hufflepuff, except that it's apparently full of idiots (Smith, Macmillan, Finch-Flakey). Rarely, if enough "cool Puff" essence concentrates in one individual you get Tonks or Cedric, but it dooms everyone else to be the common Puff.

(of course those few capable Puffs secretly rule the world like some Illuminati shit, but don't tell anyone that, it's a secret)

EDIT: *sees thread title* Yeah, I was a bit OT. I'd never date a Puff though. I bet they get offended at every joke, like this SJW crowd.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I want to trade snarky comments, smirk 24/7, and otherwise have a plotting competition how to trick the respective other into doing all the housework.

Clearly, I want a Slytherin girl. Kind and loyal is overrated.

And Pete, have a pretty safe warning for your pretty safe post. And do note which post I flagged.

15. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Slytherin / Ravenclaw, mostly because I appreciate some of those "traits" that the people in those houses posses alot.

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually wrote a proper response, but fuck it. You should feel at least a little bad, Pete.

Ravenclaw. Since we're all for generalizations here.

Realistically, Gryffindors would be self-righteous, brash bitches and Slytherins would be manipulative, evil bitches. Pass. I'll take someone smart and witty over a nice pushover.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

What is your proper response Clerith? I do feel properly cowed now that I've had a day to cool off.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That a house wouldn't matter. People are so much more than what a magical hat says is your pre-eminent characteristic or what is your desperate wish when you're eleven years old and likely scared and highly emotional.

Yes, the houses can very broadly and vaguely characterize the people in them, but again, that's not all they are. Everyone should be considered individually. See people like Pettigrew. Also, it seems like family tradition and friends also heavily impact the house you end up in.

A house does foster a certain kind of growth, but say I was looking for an intelligent and kind girlfriend, I'm sure there are people like that in all the houses.

Bah, forget it. What prompted you to make a thread like this anyways?

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I was surfing pottermore and saw the article I figured it warranted a little more than a mention in the pottermore discussion thread. Also I thought that it would garner more discussion here, and like I said in an earlier post I find it kind of sad that a site dedicated to giving a more in depth look at Rowling's universe has more writing about why you should date a Hufflepuff than world building.

P.S.
    Normally I feel like there isn't too much more to add in terms of threads to DLP. This one just happened to strike me that's all.

20. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Nice try, Zacharias Smith.