1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Will we ever get another book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eagle, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Eagle

Eagle Temporarily Banhammered

Its been nearly a decade and Rowling hasn't written one. I am quite frustrated with Rowling. The potential for Harry's story to continue is amazing as we have seen in fanfiction. I wish Rowling would continue the series though I was let down by the last two books.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She's written a few books since 2007. If you're asking about HP, I think it's best left as it is. The DH Epilogue is terrible, but it is canon. Do you want a story that will either lead to or involve this Harry? Married with kids and a respnsible job instead of fighting kickass demons in the Hellish Dimension?

3. Eagle

Its like being denied water for 8 years. Yes I'm a desperate enough and would read it. Besides that it will revitalize the fandom and lead to more quality authors returning and in turn more quality fanfiction.

4. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I wouldn't mind reading a more adult-geared series featuring the First Wizarding War following Sirius and James graduating. Given her fanbase has also matured over the years allowing her to give an edgier tone to her novels than say The Philosopher's Stone could have had.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    Read her Rober Galbraith novels then. Two have been published, another is coming this year. There's also Casual Vacancy.

1. You're assuming the fandom is dying (it isn't).

2. You're assuming every talented amateur author will flock to write HP fics (they won't). Some people simply moved on. Grew up, got jobs, had kids, maybe even died. Who the fuck knows.

Are you trolling?

6. Eagle

What I meant was with new concepts which she comes up with the fandom would revitalized with new types of fanfiction. Come on we don't know anything about Vampires in the wizarding world or other nations wizarding worlds? How cool would it be to see the world expanded?

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    Maybe.

Either way, you won't be convincing anyone of anything anytime soon considering the content of your posts.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

World building is not J.K's strong point, you don't know what you're asking for.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    That's not entirely accurate. She did come up with all the cool stuff, but she doesn't have the best track record when it comes to consistency and details.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Did she though? She came up with individual concepts, not a world. I'd argue that the fandom were the ones who put those pieces together to make the best world we could.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    You have a kind of a point there.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

JKR always had the ability to make magic and the magical world actually feel magical, which many fantasy authors with their rigid magic systems could never achieve. It was what really made love Harry Potter when I first picked it up, and I would argue is JKR's greatest strength.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I fully agree. I always thought that magic isn't wands and spells, but what the reader should feel while reading a fantasy story / fairy tale.

14. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The fandom isn't dying. It's still strong, as we can all attest, though maybe its lost a step over the years. You have a new movie coming out, a growing theme park and an incoming play that will sell out every night. If she wrote another book about Harry, she'd break every record ever set by a book or movie series.

So, chances are, if she has a good enough idea, she may do it. Personally, I wouldn't be against:

A. A story set in Harry's world that doesn't revolve around him. See: Fantastic Beasts, Dumbledore's history, the new generation, James and Lily, the Founders.

B. A different part of the wizarding world -- New York, for example.

C. Harry and Ron as Aurors solving a mystery. Of course, you would expect glimpses of the children and the Weasley family and Ginny would finally get her major role in a Harry Potter novel.

D. Voldemort returns/a Death Eater reunion/Malfoy's evil

E. Harry as Minister of Magic or Professor/Headmaster of Hogwarts

15. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

One thing I feel I should point out is the HP verse is a lot like Star Wars. It's the story of a boy and his struggles in a world different from he was raised in i.e Harry with Dursleys and Luke as a water farmer . That's it though it's the story of them and their fight against evil in their parents war. Like SW though we will see story's set in the future or the past because the fan base is so big others will get permissions to write in this Universe but as I was saying the story of Harry Potter is his fight against Voldemort and that fight is over. So unless J.K decides to torrrment him some more his story is over.

16. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I think she could try her hand at something like detective fiction, following Harry and Ron's exploits as Aurors. I think there's a lot of potential in something like that and I've been looking for a decent fic in that vein as well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'd like to see more "exotic" concepts: alternate timelines, etcetera.

Hell, even a book of shorts detailing canon "What Ifs?", like those comic book entries?

18. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I'm going to be honest - I really don't want J.K. to write more Harry Potter books. I mean, I would read them if she did, but... I feel any prequels would suffer from the fact that we basically already know what's going to happen (a.k.a. the Star Wars treatment), and any sequels would suffer from... well, older Harry seems boring and depressing (Seriously? Graying hair? Indiana Jones all over again.), and any mention of the next generation habitually causing me to cringe horribly.

Admittedly that last point is more my problem than anyone else's, but...

If any new books were to be released, I'd want them to stay as FAR away from Harry Potter as possible. Set far enough in the future or the past, or in a different part of the world (like the new movies), with only brief cameo appearances or references to characters and events from the original books.

Also, if a J.K. wrote a prequel about Dumbledore or the Marauders, I wouldn't read them. A decent part of the reason these characters are good is that we DON'T know them fully - we only get a limited glimpse into the past, and that suits them well. I know as much about James and Lily as Harry does - and I want to keep my fractured view on them. I don't want to know if Dumbledore and Grindelwald were actually a couple as implied, and I don't want to see their duel - it probably wasn't as awesome as I imagined it to be.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  19. Persephone

Persephone Fourth Year

The only book I want JKR to write is an encyclopedia of the HP world, which I hear she's planning.

I want to learn about the world, not the characters. I want to know more about things like spells, the limitations of magic, foreign countries and schools, Voldemort's impact on the world as a whole, etc.

I don't care too much about particular characters. I wouldn't read a prequel if she wrote one.

20. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'm going to up the ante and say I honestly can't imagine J.K. writing anything I would be interested in reading. Especially not in the HP 'verse. I liked Harry Potter as a preteen, but it was far from my favorite series, even then. I was 15 by the time HBP was released and by then I had lost interest in canon, I felt like I outgrew it I guess. It was fun to get into because the fandom was so big, and I've honestly enjoyed the fan fiction more than I ever enjoyed the books in the first place.

I'm not about to say that Rowling isn't a good author, clearly she managed to strike a chord with a lot of people. But she's not the author for me. I truly don't care about the minutia of the wizarding world enough to read an encyclopedia, though I can understand why people might want that. As for her storytelling...well, I never did get through HBP.

So, I don't care if Rowling ever publishes anything else in the HP 'verse. I'd keep an ear to the ground if she ever did, but in all likelihood wouldn't be interested anyway.