1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WINNER UP! Q3 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q3 2019' started by Ched, Jun 30, 2019.

?

Pick your pois- Poll, I mean, topic?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2019.
  1. Ritual Magic

47.2%
  2. "Shh! I told you to be quiet! I'm certain I heard something."

5.7%
  3. Harry causes a war with another species.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What the Professors get up to in the summers.

47.2%
  1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think I'll finish in time for my votes to count, just wondering what time the entries will be locked from reviewing?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Sorry this took me so long everyone!

I temporarily locked the review threads (I'll open them again for a few days until the new poll finishes in case authors want to make responses), but while I tallied I didn't want any more to sneak in!

upload_2019-9-25_22-29-38.png

The winner is IV and the Runner up is VI! I can't wait to read them (had some complications with life this week).

I think I'll leave this thread open this time? And just edit the initial post, perhaps, rather than making a new "Winner's Thread" - what do you all think?

CONGRATS!

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congratulations to Entry 4, which as I said earlier has been the best thing I've read all year. It was phenomenal, and the only entry that I was simply drawn into and when I hit the end I felt that feeling of 'Eh? That's it? Already?' that left me clearly wanting more.

Kudos to Entry 6 for a close runner-up position.

4. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

So, who is the darstardly bastard that beat me to the goal? With whom will I now duel (dishonorably, because I'll scratch and bite and throw sand)?

Joking aside, some great stories. Personally, I just fucking adored no. 9 , so whoever you are, kudos. No. 4, my new arch nemesis, was also great, loath I am to admit it. Honorable mention also goes out to no. 2, because I enjoyed the experimental epistolary style.

As for the reviewers: thanks for the varied feedback (some harsh, some gentle, some polite, some cussing like curs -- all of which tickled me in several places).

• Most criticism was well-taken, specifically the pace and that I tried too much in too little time. Also that Harry falls a little flat, and that Ron should have won the day.
    • @Blorycn and @Zombie mentioned that some constructions (dialog?) were strange and noticably ESL. Honestly I'd be super grateful if you could go into more detail there; that's always something I try to take into account, but it's somewhat difficult to correct for, not being a native speaker.
    • Overall, glad you enjoyed my first forray into mystery writing. My favorite character was actually Hammock and the story originally started out with him, but that's just an aside.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

@Eilyfe ah, I suspected. Are you going to throw a second draft in WBA or something like that? I’d be happy to go through it and try and just do the typical WBA sentence to sentence thing.

I thought all the entries were really enjoyable and had strengths in their own way, and there wasn’t a single one I didn’t like for different reasons. I hope my criticism was received for all the entries in a positive way - I’m sure random speeches about what I got from videos and books is super pompous, but I hope it’s useful at least.

Also, I super loved nine but I absolutely adored six and totally think it was best in show. Good job Eilyfe on a great story.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Damn, that was close. Congrats to 4 and 6, and to everyone who wrote. I didn't feel like it was a chore to read any of them.

I voted 4 because it was a fantastic exploration of Dumbledore and you don't see that every day. I hope it gets expanded into a larger story from Dumbledore's POV.

If this had been an original fiction comp and not an HP comp, I would have voted for 6. It was the most complete entry as a story, and it was suspenseful and well-told.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Congrats everyone. Thanks to everyone who participated.

8. Ched

Or do we want a separate "winner's thread" - what do yall think? Seems few really use it.

9. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Doesn’t fuss me. I’m not sure what the winners thread is for. We can see which won here? Just my two cents.

10. Zombie

Think its fine here how it is.

11. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congrats to all involved! I had a lot of fun reading through these entries. I love a good story that expands canon, and pretty much all of these contestants came up with really creative ideas that were fun to explore.

I'd love to know who wrote the Dresden Files crossover, if that person's up for coming forward. I doubt they've felt any obligation to speak up, since they didn't make the podium. But the writing really impressed me, and I'd love to take a look at what other stuff this person has written.

It might be obvious to to most DLP people who it is, but I have no idea since I'm not that familiar with who the Dresden fans are here.

12. Zombie

They posted in the thread. Very last post. :wink:

They revealed themselves, not me.

13. FitzDizzyspells

Omg I’m so lost in this forum. Ty

14. Ched

Q4 thread will be up tonight! Get in any last comments in story threads, etc. before they're locked!

15. FitzDizzyspells

Q4 thread hasn't been posted yet, correct? Not trying to rush you at all. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything.

16. Zombie

That's correct. Still being worked on.

17. Ched

Posting it now - I've had some rather serious internet issues (and a desire to change things up a bit here) so things haven't happened. I didn't want to pass it off to anyone else, but FML?