1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice

WIP WIP - Dodging Prison and Stealing Witches - Revenge is Best Served Raw

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by froper98, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Third Year DLP Supporter

Your taste is shit, but that's ok.

sfu
  2. Distended Destiny

Distended Destiny Fourth Year

The funny thing is that I like stronger-than-canon Harry(especially MoD). I used to read fics only if they claimed to have a powerful Harry. I realized after some time that most of these stories were shit. It was some fic called H J Potter which made me aware of just how nauseous and simple these fics were.
    Political !HP and Bad!Dumbledore are often mundane, with far too many friendly or co-operative goblins. I never did like Bad!Dumbledore fics anyway.
    This is pretty much a use of the basic betrayed!Harry outline. Triggered me by this point. I might have read it if he had bothered trying to be different, but I see no indications.

I guess others must have persevered through the relentless cliches and have seen light. I am not going to bother with it.

Rating revised to 1/5

3. sfu

sfu Squib

From your quotes (and ctrf+f) I determined that you never made it past chapter 2.

You could try to get to finish up to chapter 6 at least (by the end of chapter 6 you'd read around ~20 to 25k words, not much time wasted by any means). If you don't like it at that point, then stop reading it. The first three chapters are some kind of build-up anyway. Harry gets sent back plus info (chapter 1), gets his wand (chapter 2), and last earns some money by selling opiates(chapter 3).

With chapter 4 the actual plot begins by Harry meeting his first potential allies. Chapter 5 or 6 is where the Hermione part starts and where I began to genuinely enjoy the story. Before I was undecided because I actually did not want to read it at all. Too many bad stories with similar setups.

And yes, I agree, H J Potter is wrong on many many many different levels.

4. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

5. Xion

6. Xion

7. Xion

8. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

It’s marketed as a primal power trip where one steals girls away from his evil brother and gives them a righteous dicking. What it delivers is a well polished but rather dull dissertation on the wizard of world full of weird incongruities like the grangers being praised for being able to build magical submarines.

I still stand by what I said a while back. This is basically just sexual grooming. Why it feels less egregious is because there’s zero sexual chemistry whatsoever. Reminds me of that protagonist from the black mirror episode USS Callister. Who knows? Maybe the author is just biding his time for this weird power trip to backfire on Harry altogether where he’s revealed as the chess master and all his harem girls desert him. That would be interesting but pretty much a betrayal of everything the fic is.

I’ve read 90% of this fic and I stopped reading it when I caught up and updates started taking months. There are some neat ideas. But I wouldn’t recommend unless the above appeals to you on some deep level.

9. James

James High Inquisitor

I’ve checked it out when I saw it updated - jumped to the end to see where it’s at - and after 560k words it’s at the first quidditch game of Harry’s SECOND YEAR. What the fuck.

10. Xion