1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards v. Muggles Megathread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiph0, Mar 7, 2016.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Could equally be in the second, given that a simple potion can cure the common cold.

2. Blinker

Blinker DA Member DLP Supporter

Regarding your first point what immediately comes to mind is the flame-freezing charm. This spell is a) very easy b) effective against a whole category of harm c) designed to negate any harm a muggle can do using this form of attack. It hardly seems outside the realms of possibility that even if conventional shield charms are ineffective against physical attacks (which I doubt) that there would exist similarly trivial spells to resist any mundane attack.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

Seeing as we can study radiation and understand it, I doubt it's magical by nature, hence unlikely to belong to the third category.

4. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Third Year

High Score:
    Ah but the flame freezing charm was made when witch hunting/burning was popular , we just don't know how spells are made , how long it takes to make one and if the wizards can keep with the astronomical speed muggles build weapons at .

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

The speed that Muggles can design and build new weapons at has little to no bearing on the topic.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    The only canon example of spell creation process is Snape's old textbook; it seems impractical to spread those notes across multiple books, so presumably he created those two or three spells in the space of an academic year. Granted, Snape is one of the most competent wizards we see in the series, but that would suggest that a team of people trying to develop spells to aid in a war rather than as a hobby would probably get the job done pretty quickly.

Plus, it's not just a matter of muggles building bigger and better guns or bombs; they'd have to pretty much invent entirely new weapons technology, which would take even longer.

7. Sataniel

Sataniel DA Member

High Score:
    I have this little neat theory. Let's start with my favourite quote from Pottermore - "I decided that, broadly speaking, wizards would have the power to correct or override 'mundane' nature, but not 'magical' nature." (Pottermore: Illness and Disability).

Okay, so we have magical reality overwrite physical one. And we have that neat thing called Shield charm. Spells can break through it, as magic's ability to change magic is limited. But it also protects from physical damage, and we can assume that the Shield charm is not limited here as it is "mundane" kind of damage.

The Shield charm can be adjusted in terms of size, the Shield charm can be used to protectively enchant place, the Shield charm can be enchanted on clothes (as of HBP).

Assuming, my theory is true, wizards could just wear Shield hats and tank everything muggles throw at them or drink their tea in Shield charm protected houses as bombs fall around.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

We actually had an entire thread about this:

How does a Shield Charm react to a nuclear explosion?