1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Would you die to save your best friend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, May 17, 2006.

1. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Fear is a powerful emotion so it can be difficult to know what one would do in such a situation.

All depends on the circumstances really. While I would like to say that I would die for my friend/s I would not know for sure unless the situation actually came up for me in my life.

2. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I may sound heartless but if I was in Wormtails situation then no, I wouldn't die for my friends. I mean if you take the prophesy into account Harry would face Voldemort no matter what. In the end the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few and thanks to Wormtail the wizarding world has fourteen years of peace. In my opinion If betraying my friends gave the world fourteen more years then I would give them up. Maybe it's because I haven't got any close friends or that my family are back stabbing Bstd's, but I value my life above others. Sorry but If I was such a drip as to offer my life etc people would treat me like a f-ing doormat and I have more self respect than that. The only thing I would do differently would refuse to kneel, I'm no low-life cocksucker and refuse to kneel/grovel to anyone. I value myself too much to give myself for them, because at the end of the day I wouldn't trust them to do the same for me. It is human instinct to want to survive and I believe those instincts are there for a reason.
    Learn to put yourself first because others will be quick to forget you, and if it is inevitable someone will die then it's better to get a quick AK then a lifetime of pain.
    Litha.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  3. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

I've known my best friend since I was five, he's like a brother to me. So yeah, I guess I would give up my life. Although it depends on the circumstances.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I honestly have no idea what I'd do.

5. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

Well, wow I'm glad i don't believe that. I've seen people risk their live for strangers all the time. Firefighters do it all the time. Rescue works as well digging through ruined building that could collapse at any time to try to save someone, just incase they might be alive. I've seen a building hit by mortors and have gone in with others while there was still impact going on to get a guy out.

I don't think its human instinct, i think its your instinct.

6. kota_dawndragon

kota_dawndragon Second Year

I can only think of one person that I absolutely know I would have willingly died for. My fiance. Thing is, he died to save my life. There was a drunk driving down the wrong side of a two lane highway and was going to hit us. My fiance swerved just enough to the right to get me out of the direct line of collision. The car was crushed like a milk carton on the front driver's side. My fiance died upon impact and so did the drunk.

7. Litha Riddle

That is different then in Wormtails situation, because in a situation like disaster etc. you react differently.
    I mean recently I had a fire in my kitchen and instead of running out and possibly letting my block burn me and my partner put the fire out ourselves. Also I would probably risk myself in that situation because it's within my scope, I'm more likely to risk myself for strangers than family/friends. I'm sorry but I was not lucky enough to have a decent family and was astrocised by my community for being 'weird'. I've been stabbed in the back too much to have that kind of loyalty to family.

Also in the examples you pitched there was no risk to the people involved, and they could control the situation. I have been in the position where my life was in danger and my own mother turned on me, thus leaving me at the mercy of someone else. Not everyone has family worth a damn and not everyone has friends, so consider yourself lucky you have someone worth dying for.
    Litha

8. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Would I give my life to save my friends? Simple answer; no.

I really don't have many really close friends. Due to a childhood where I lived in many, many, different places I haven't really had the chance to keep my childhood friends. Many of my friends from when I was younger are now involved in multitude of dangerous things, it comes from growing up on a rough council estate. Hattersley for those of you familiar with the Moors Murders. It seems I have a thing for living in the vacinity of murderers actually, as I now live in Hyde which is famous for Dr. Shipman who was believed to have killed two hundred and fifty of his patients. As such it would probably be something of their own doing that got them in that position to begin with.

I have friends, yes, but I wouldn't be ready to give up my life for them. My family is a different matter. I wouldn't hesitate to give my life in order to spare one of my brothers.

9. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There are some people I would probably save, such as my sister or some of my cousins, and others that I would simply let die, including good friends. Why so? It may sound cold-hearted, but my decision would be based on my perception of the worth of their life in comparison with mine, based on my current understanding of the meaning of life.
    If I thought the meaning of life was to enjoy it, my decisions would be completely different from when I think the meaning of life is to be productive.
    Or maybe I'd toss a coin or something. This is all theoretical.

10. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I think of life as a finite amount of time you have to live before you sleep a deep eternal sleep where you feel, know, and think nothing. Just peace.

So try to live whatever time you have left and enjoy it. You sure as hell aint gonna get it back. Non refundable.

11. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Honestly? No.

I'm sure I'd die trying to save myself from Voldemort's servitude, though.

In a real life situation where I'm the only one standing between them and a bullet/other harm? I'd probably freeze in terror and take the bullet/weapon for them anyway. Purposly sacrificing my life so they could live? If I did so, it would most likely be a "spur of the moment" thing, and not a conscious effort.

12. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

I'm glad that somebody brought this up. I was under the impression that this was certain death... If somebody were to ask me if I would risk my life to save my best friend, the answer would be yes. I posted earlier, saying no, under the assumption that one of you is going to die. If the inevitable factor is removed, then the circumstances are different. Would I risk my life for somebody I don't like? Probably not. For a stranger? Possibly, depending on the situation. For a good friend or family? Yes.

13. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

Taking a shot for another person will be useless anyway since the assailant will shoot and kill the person saved.

14. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This topic made me remeber this quote...
    <1> If you could choose, whose life would you safe? Yours, or mine?
    <2> Well, seeing as the human is generally egoistic, I'd have to say mine.
    <1> Do you think you could live with that decision?
    <2> Well, better than with the other one.

On topic of risking my life, that is far more probably than, say, exchanging it for someone else's.

15. Lynn

Lynn First Year

I would not give my life for my best friend.

Would you like to know why? I have no best friend.

16. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Personally, I have tons of friends. I'm a popular guy, but I have no close friends. No one to tell all of my secrets to, no one who has been through thick and thin with me. So this topic, for me, is like asking a monkey whether he likes Xbox or Playstation better.

However, I agree with nonjon.

I believe that after my death, I will be with Jesus, and I look forward to that. So if there is no one depending on me, like nonjon said, I would gladly give my life so that someone would have another chance at life, be it my brother, one of my friends, or a complete stranger. Life is really an abstract concept, seeing as it can be created and destroyed so easily, and I really don't value it all that much.

17. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I think that sums up my descision nicely. What if the friend who you risked your life for died two days later? Would you be pissed? No, because you are DEAD!

18. Lady Rebecca

Lady Rebecca Professor

American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (A
    My first instinct in most stressful situations is to run in the opposite direction of the problem. In a practice situation were a teacher would try to catch the kids in the class, I hid and stayed at least ten feet from the teacher. Dodgeball, I run around and stay as far away from the action as possible.
    I have to make a consious effort to save anyone except myself...

So, no matter the situation...

Every man for himself

19. Random Guy

Random Guy Raptured to Hell

I have a question for people who are saying they will die for a complete stranger. If a man pointed a gun at you and he said "Do you want me to shoot you or the lady." Now, what if the lady has a terribly dicease, or she was injured and in deep pain. Do you let the lady get shot who will probably die, or will you sacrifice yourself for someone who will die?

20. Litha Riddle

The Gun situation is entirely different than a disaster situation.
    If someone pointed a gun at me and told me to pick who? Obviously I'd pick me.
    Several reasons why 1. Why the fuck should I die when I didn't create the problem. 2. In that situation he'd probably shoot me anyway and I can cope with seeing someone die, where she may not.

In a disaster like earthquake/floods/fire etc I could offer help because the rescue would be controlled.
    You can do more to help but in my mind the many come before the few.
    In an earthquake/flood/fire I would make sure my community was ok before rescuing others. It's just that I will only have this life and it's not so cheap that I would throw it away for others.