1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

www.fanficauthors.net

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Moloch, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

So right, I recently rediscovered this website and started reading through the fics there. At the moment, off the top of my head, Draco664, Ruskbyte and Jbern are the only ones able to write a "DLP-themed" fic worth anything. Any recommendations for the rest of them? I wasn't too impressed as Bobmin still uses the 'This summary sucks" tactic so I didn't really try with his and I'm thinking that the rest follow similar threads.

Being the lazy fuck that I am, I'm kinda hoping that I don't have to wade my way through the crap to find a couple of gems again like in ff.net, so link the ones you lot enjoyed from that little corner of fanfiction please. :D

2. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Viridian's work is also in the library.

3. smurr79

smurr79 First Year

^
    S'TarKen for you Fanfiction.net net members.

4. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

This is completely off topic, but could we get sauce on your avatar, Nuebus?

Back on topic, it's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, but Bobmin's stuff isn't half bad.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

As is Jeconais. Jeco is, well ... Jeco. I guess you've read him, if you haven't, try This Means War! (if you can stand H/G), otherwise Hope or White Knight, Grey Queen. You'll get the idea very quickly -- Jeco writes feel-good-fluff.

Crys has a decent Harry/Tonks story, Scion of Gryffindor, and of course LordDwar is the author of the classic for that pairing, Harry Potter and the Summer of Change.

6. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

[​IMG] + Typical 4chan border.

And yeah; I was into the Jeco stuff when I'm feeling like a hobo, but not when I'm looking for one where HP is a badass. And lordwar's fic, good stuff, already read that too.

I'll read Cry's fic in a bit, and then take a peek at Bobmin's fics tomorrow. :>

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. Portus

Portus Heir

Can't forget Full Pensieve. His Years of Rebellion, while unfinished due to his unfortunate and recurring health issues, is probably the most ambitious and definitely the most researched HP fic out there. The guy had reams of notes on everything from wizard genealogy to god-knows-what, and that, along with the illness, may have contributed to the story not being completed. Also, FP's HP & The Last Horcrux was another stellar fic that is almost but not quite finished. One of my top-ten fics, as the writing is superb and the characterization is well-done, especially for a fic at only 50k words.

Several of the authors at FFA, such as Kinsfire, Kokopelli, and Mr. Intel to name a few not yet mentioned, have at least a couple decent fics. I've personally enjoyed several of Bobmin's stories, although they aren't exactly ground-breaking or what the hardcore DLPer would likely go for, especially the older H/G ones where there's a semi-redeemed Snape.

Stories are listed by pairing, so that ought to give you a hint before you jump into a fic.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Probably the only Bobmin story I can tolerate (and that's pushing it) is Power of the Press, mostly because the Harry angst isn't as bad as in his other stories and Harry isn't ridiculously overpowered. Most of their stories (husband/wife team) boil down to "super-powerful, but emotionally damaged and angst-ridden Harry finds one or more father/mother figures who help him screw on his head straight so that he can do the foregone conclusion and beat Voldemort." If you like that kind of story, Sunset/Sunrise is a million words of it; if you don't, read Power of the Press and leave the rest.

Viridian's stories (Team 8 for Naruto and NOFP for HP) are worth reading if only because they are fanfiction icons. Both are flawed and take ages to update, but should be read because they're mechanically decent and essentially everyone in the fandom has read them.

Jeconais writes a particular type of story very well--the suave, powerful Harry with a hot lady on his arm; you secretly want to be him. His stories are fluff, but good fluff for when you're in the mood and they reread well. I like his Harry/Daphne story, Perfect Situations, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. Best Man and Changes were among the readable early Harry/Fleur stories in the fandom.

Kokopelli (Dreams of Cold Fusion) and Aaran St. Vines (In the Eye of the Beholder) are notable for having written the only two Harry/Millicent stories I've read that don't suck (i.e., aren't a fat girl's self-insert). Kokopelli also wrote a story with elements of Harry/loli-Gabbriel (Maskirovat), a request we get here often.

Copperbadge's stories are slash, among the best if it's your thing.

I'd second Portus's recommendation of Full Pensieve's Years of Rebellion. It's incredibly ambitious, meticulously planned, and very dark in places. It's also well written, though erratic in pacing. I believe you can find it in the DLP Library.

FFA as a site needs more authors. Half of their stable have either retired from fanfiction or haven't updated in half a year or more.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I was thinking more along the lines of nonjon, Deadwoodpecker, Joe6991, and maybe BajaB in the Harry Potter fandom. For site longevity, it makes sense to branch aggressively into other fandoms--this site's Dresdenverse writers perhaps? Heather Sinclair? Some of the more accomplished Naruto writers?

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually agree with Pers on this one though. FFA definitely does need some good authors. And there are definitely a few around who still write stuff similar to what is currently there, if you see Pers' post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Doesn't Jeco run the site? And doesn't he (though believe Jeco's a woman) all but ignore the emails/suggestions of anyone not on his army of beta readers?

Chances of new authors joining the site are slim. Besides, why go there when you can just come here/Patronus Charm?

12. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

On that note, is Patronus Charm Harry-Potter only? Or can other fandoms get their stories there?

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

LOL, no thanks. The ruling class over there don't really like me. PC suits me just fine.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

FFA is just as elitist as DLP… just on the opposite end of the spectrum. They have their fucked up people (Kinsfire, etc) just like we have ours (Vash) and are just as arrogant (if not more so) as us. So I don’t think they’ll be looking through DLP for good authors or ideas, Pers. :p

The only author I pay attention to on that site is Draco664.

And yes, I did just compare Vash to Kinsfire. :awesome

Custer: Stop baiting others randomly.

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Ruskbyte and Draco664 are the ones most worth reading. The others are merely competent writers.

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@Heather_Sinclair: your ava-chick makes me tingle in that special place. Who is she?

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Calling Kinsfire a competent author is like saying Bush did a competent job as President.

18. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Me of course....

>.>
    <.<

Okay, fine, she's Irina Sheik. Victoria Secret, Guess, etc. model.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

I still think of you as a blonde chick flipping me off. :S

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

She could get it in all sorts of creative ways...

EDIT@Portus: I actually always pictured a brunette Shakira as Hermione. No idea why, either.

Heh, same. Almost bought the shirt because of that pic, too, but I lack that certain something to really pull the look off.

Tits.