1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One v Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Relic, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I used to be hard core Xbox fan because of Halo et al. but was forced to switch to PS3. The difference was really, to me at least, in the controllers otherwise both consoles froze up in similar ways after I'd been playing for over 8 or so hours (non-stop).

There wasn't a discernible difference that mattered in terms of menu's etc or I didn't give a damn because I like to pop in the disc and play.

You can always go to the closest mall (if that's an option wherever you're located) - the PS4 can be tried out in the Sony store and the Xbox people have kiosks set up in certain places (i.e. near the Sony store).

Sony is supposed to be sleek and lovely but I thought the design was meh while Xbone has some retro VCR thing going on.

They are practically the same now in terms of fees, etc.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I think it's best to wait a while before picking up any of the new gen consoles. Wait to see the user reviews and pick up the one that pissed the least people off. Or the one that more of your friends own. Personally I don't plan on getting either of them until they drop in price a bit.

3. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

The only truly exclusive thing the Bone has that anyone would ever care about is Ryse, and nobody in their right mind is going to pay $400 for a quicktime event app that still won't be as good as DMC3.

As much of an embarrassment as Sony is making of themselves now, I'm sure it will be ten times worse when the Bone drops. Microsoft as a company hasn't been able to release anything in the last decade that wasn't riddled with bugs, defects, and things necessitating day one patches and week one updates. Combine Being From Microsoft with the fact that this thing needs to connect to the internet for it's shit to get the day one patch that will make it able to operate WITHOUT a constant lifeline to the internet, and you've got a witch's cauldron of problems on your hands.

Titanfall isn't an exclusive, it's coming out for the PC, and will be infinitely better there than on console. Killzone is just another FPS clone with shiny graphics, anybody who gives half a shit about Forza is the kind of person I point and laugh at when they call themselves a gamer, and I'd be more interested in InFamous if they weren't going Edgemasters of the Universe: Anitheroes From The Dark Side of DeviantArt with the story and art direction.

The only thing anybody should give half a shit about that they showed off at E3 is Titanfall, which again, is coming out on the PC, so the Bone can fuck off, and Destiny, which is going to be cross-console. Microsoft made a Joker-tier boner with the nonexistant Halo game that they teased but not actually making because that was totally just a graphics expo to show what the engine can do you guys! Why would you ever assume that a game showed off at the Electronics Entertainment Expo was actually REAL? But they're (supposedly) making it now because fans were ready to beat down their office doors and rape them to death with dragon dildos, so I guess you can factor that into account if you liked the way 343 handled Halo 4.

Season 2 of Spartan Ops is totally coming out soon you guys! This time with even MORE of that stupid gorilla bitch that goes GRRR when people in labcoats talk. Science Team has to put stickers on her guns so she knows which end to point at the enemy, but that's okay, because those guys are just geeks and nerds anyway. You guys like this app right? The one where she has her own game? Guys? Where are you going guys? WE HAVE DORITOS GUYS. EAT DORITOS AND WIN AN XBOX. FOR SERIOUS GUYS.

If they announce Destiny for the PC, there will literally be zero reason to even get a console this gen. You realize that, right?

They won't, because the devs can't hang with PC FPS games and they know it. But if they did, there would literally be no reason to buy one. PS4 is shit, Bone is more shit, save your money and buy a PC. All the good games are going to come out on that as well as everywhere else anyway, and if you absolutely have to have it, you can just wait half a year and then grab it and an emulator to run it for free.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...Bluh? Have you seen what that game looks like? It's nothing if not incredibly good looking. It's like...the exact opposite of what you're describing. As for story...eh, that just looks like inFamous to me, to be honest. It was always kinda like that.

5. Lord Raine

Edgy rebel without a cause protagonist that attempts to be sarcastic constantly. Fantastic racism. Police state. Black hoodie. Can dissolve into fire and control light.

No. Pretty sure it's exactly how I described it. The only thing he's missing is a reaper scythe and a wolf alternate form.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

To be clear, I'm not denying that its setting and story is exactly what you described, because it is. What I'm saying is, it's incredibly good looking:

http://minus.com/i/bg4dP07rvXeVC
    [imgur]eKOBAPo[/imgur]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2bmGkKCPg

It also looks really fun to play, but that's beside the point.

EDIT: That's two separate animated gifs, just for the record.
    EDIT2: And to be honest, past a certain point you really are just asking it to stop being inFamous. Like I said in the previous post, the series has always been kinda dark and edgy. inF1, Cole set off a bomb that killed a shitload of people and spent the entire game brooding about it. inF2, Cole brooded some more in a different locale and ended the game by either killing all superhumans or killing all normal people. At least this new guy is willing to do something other than brood.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Don't throw up on your monitor dude, that's gross.

8. Lord Raine

I never said it wasn't.

Also, so is Forza. I'm still laughing at it.

But the first one actually managed to be legitimately dark, and edgy in a way that didn't make you roll your eyes constantly. This one is failing before it's even been released.

If this is "what inFamous is," then maybe inFamous does need to change.

Don't overburden yourself with that counterargument there, hoss. Wouldn't want you to sprain something.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Counterargument what? There is nothing solid in your post, just a bunch of hatehatehate, in which you try to convince us that nothing the consoles have matter, and that we should all convert to the PC master race. You're making a ton of assumptions, even more baseless accusations, and take your personal opinion on games as actual fact.

This is not an argument. As I said, it is more reminiscent of someone vomiting on his computer and trying to make sense through it all. Stop being such a hateful PC devout, start actually taking note of what it is you're hating on without dismissing it outright with accusations that could, in some way or form, count true for every single recent video game, including the ones you so like.

Fuck that kind of thinking. Or not-thiking, as the case may be.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

You said its art direction is reminiscent of bullshit on deviantART, so yes, you did?

Gonna have to agree to disagree then, because I don't see it. Rather, I see it succeeding.

inFamous is a series about a guy with superpowers making ludicrous moral choices in an environment that screams 90s edginess. Considering how bright and colorful this game is and how the protagonist doesn't seem to be brooding in any of the footage I've seen thus far, this could actually be that shift, but it's way too early to tell and the setting is still grim.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Forza 5 is gonna be badass. Just sayin'

12. Lord Raine

I said art direction. You're confusing direction with style. Art style is the whole game is an interactive sprite comic with wolf people with tattoos and streaks of dye in their hair to make them extra special snowflakey. Art direction is somebody looking at a bunch of concept art and saying "you know what we need in here? More black hoodies."

Where? Where are all these assumptions I'm making? That Ryse won't be as good as DMC3? We've seen the gameplay in-depth. It's not Quicktime Event: The Game like E3 made it out to be, but it's still nowhere near Devil May Cry. That Titanfall is going to be PC? That's confirmed. That Forza is stupid? It literally exists only for endorsement deals and to show off graphics quality.

The only assumption I made in that whole post is that Microsoft will fuck up the Xbox One launch. And if you think they aren't going to, you haven't been paying attention to literally anything Microsoft has done for the past five years.

There's a reason everyone that's smart is waiting until January at least before deciding what console to buy, if any. It's because they want to give time for the inevitable fuckups to arise and see how they get handled and fixed before dropping five hundred large on a piece of hardware.

If that's true, then maybe you should think before making a nine-word post that exists solely to start a fight.

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

pc master race checking in, keep fighting the good fight everyone!

14. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Any chance we can get a poll attached to this thread? And leave PC off. I know that will get all the votes otherwise.

15. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Just throwing it out there, as of release, I can't muster up enough enthusiasm for either the PS4 or XBOne; I'm probably going to just sit on the PS3 I have currently until things settle out post launch in February or so, then make a bit of a more informed decision then. Right now, the fan boys and kiddies with rich parents are the only ones buying the new generation without testing the waters, so to speak.

If I was in your shoes, I'd continue to play either the 360/PS3 you already have until after winter break, then take a hard look at what shape the communities are in (either company doing mass recalls, having failures of getting the machines to record/stream as marketed, or any other major bugs that they haven't been able to fix *cough*RedRingOfDeath*cough*), and where you like your controller's D Pad and analogue sticks. For someone not born with either a XBox or PS controller in your hand, both feel about the same to me, but some people live or die by the placement of the analogue sticks.

If you're really feeling patient, see how the SteamOS and Steambox release affects the counsel market- there's a very real possibility that it might shake it up Q1 or Q2 2014, but it's still speculation at this point.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've just never liked how the xbox controller feels in my freakishly oversized hands. Need some open space on the back to comfortably situate my spidery fingers.

Bit of news:

PS4 sells over a million units by the end of launch day.

Given that there are only a handful of games available to play, that's pretty fucking impressive.

I imagine the xbone won't be that far behind, despite their lagging pre-order sales. Tis a glorious day for console gaming.

17. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah tbh if I'm buying anything this season it's probably going to be a PS3.

18. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Launch day sales are really only meaningful if they're outright bad. Let's see how the XBone and PS4 are selling in 3 or 6 months.

19. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I've got the PS4 and am on it all the time these days.

There were some patches for COD and there is a little more lag then I'm used to on the PS3. Finally got a headset so it was worth it.

The way to offset the cost (if you need to) is to sell stuff on ebay or craigslist (consoles, old phones, whatever you have that you don't use like a bike, etc.). Usually, your parents or other relatives might have old phones that they don't know what to do with (like iPhone 4) and you can sell them for a decent price online.

I did try out the Xbox at this event they did at a local mall. They updated the old clunky controller, it's really nice now. Of course can't tell about any bugs etc. in that kind of limited environment.

To each his own in regards to PC gaming. I was a PC and console gamer and remember playing DA2 with so many crashes and bugs that it drove my crazy. I switched to the PS3 version which ran a lot better. Now I don't do PC gaming.

A good TV is what makes the console gaming experience.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hows the cooling situation? If left running, my PS3 can singlehandedly heat my bedroom. Occasionally crashes because of it.

Sony says the PS4 barely heats up, but I'm hesitant to trust them.