1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your Dream Monster Collecting Game

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BTT, Sep 10, 2021.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I've been playing an absolute shitload of monster collecting games lately. Pokemon and Pokemon fangames, Digimon, Monster Hunter Stories, Shin Megami Tensei... There's a billion other examples, I'm sure.

It's got me wondering, what would your ideal monster collecting game look like? I think there's three big parts to the genre:

(1) Collection. Collecting monsters, in other words. How do you get new monsters, when do you get new monsters? How many are there, how many can you get?

(2) Growth. Once you've collected a monster, how do you let it grow stronger? Does it evolve like in Pokemon or Digimon, can you fuse monsters like SMT? What other way of customizing the monster is there? Is there some point at which the monster stops growing, and how soon does it come?

(3) Battle. How do battles work? Do your monsters fight for you, do you fight alongside your monsters? What difficulty curve are you aiming for? What about multiplayer?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Saw this earlier and was excited to answer, but didn't have time. Neat question, but one that's pretty involved.

First and foremost - no catch 'em all mechanic that's hyped up and definitely not one that affects gameplay.

I don't like grinding and I'm just OCD enough that if I'm 'supposed' catch everything because of a buff or an achievement then I'm caught between not doing b/c I don't want to and the feeling that I want the promised buff / achievement / dopamine.
    Instead give a lot of buffs for things like having encountered/tamed/bred 90%+ of the types of monsters, or for having at least 20 types of fire/water/rock/whatever, or for other various other types of synergies that don't require 100%. Make it difficult by all means but stop pushing the need to 100% everything so hard, games. At some point it's too fucking much.

Game play? Something a bit like Super Mario RPG. It was turn-based but few random encounters - you could see all the enemies you might run into on the map, and there were things you could do on the map to benefit you when you entered the turn-based part. Still remains one of my favorite games of all time. The mix of turn-based combat with proper exploration like in an ActionRPG is just phenomenal.

Barring that, an ActionRPG like Zelda or Genshin Impact. You're running around the world - moving/jumping/climbing/flying/exploring - with your team of probably 3-5 monsters. Each with unique abilities. Finding/catching monsters requires finding them and interacting in real time.

On the fence about if you always control them or if there’s a minimal AI like Kingdom Hearts for companions.

Breeding is done at your convenience with buffs for certain areas, and eventually you have your own estate/land/whatever that handles a lot of the training/raising while you're out. Monsters can also be fused but they have to agree to it and that requires friendship/trust type options, but it's all on the table. Just different requirements. Want a flying monster? Maybe it takes you a while to level / breed one big enough to carry you, etc.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Exploration needs to be the biggest focus. A game like this needs an open-world that is considered by all as 'too big.' I want as much space as possible for each of the monsters to roam and exist in their natural habitats, and I just don't feel immersed by taking two steps out of a town into a tiny forest where these monsters spawn in this one patch of grass.

Different, diverse and believable biomes are most important to me. Forests you can explore for hours, caves you can get lost in, mountain ranges that are the size of actual mountains. I want the monsters to exist in the world, and I don't think you can do that believably without proper, gargantuan scale.

Not to my satisfaction, anyway.

With a world that size, the question of how to get around it is of paramount importance. A lot of open world games fuck this up, and it just feels tedious and terrible to move in it. BOTW pioneered the glider, but I think even that feels old now. The only open world games whose traversal felt so good that, even with fast travel, I never used it were Spiderman PS4 and Black Desert Online.

The former for obvious reasons, though a grappling hook that doesn't need grappling points wouldn't go amiss. We've mastered how we get down from high points, we need a better way of getting up now. The latter just has a glorious mount mechanic system where you're almost drifting with a horse that feels so satisfying that I just ran everywhere. That can easily be adopted and expanded upon in a game where you catch monsters.

As for combat, my personal completely unpopular dream is for my involvement to end when combat starts.

Weird, right?

Basically a modern day version of Digimon World. I want my job to be raising, feeding, training, teaching, preparing and strengthening these monsters, then the fruits of my labour will show with the decisions the monster makes in conmbat - with maybe limited input with some shouted suggestions like in Digimon World.

In that way I almost want it to be a Football Manager game, lol...