1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your first Fanficion or How did you start reading FF's?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Kaotac

Kaotac Second Year

Key of Atlantis was the first/only fic I've printed out to read offline.

2. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

i only did that with heir to the ancient

3. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Dead thread resurrection...

I first got actually involved with the HPverse one day when I was checking out Quizilla. I'd read the books but wasn't a big fan or anything - but someone in class mentioned Quizilla, and I went to check it out, being bored with life. Well, I stumbled across several Harry Potter fanfics written entirely in second person - you know, the really shitty ones - 'You and Harry were sitting in the room when Harry decided to have sex with you randomly. zOMG Point of View Shift!!!!!!1!'. I had read those for nearly a month, and joined an RPG in the meantime, before one of the authors pointed out harrypotterfanfiction.com and I read virtually every story on there that was longer than 20,000 words. I found ff.net and explored it, have read most of those too, most of which were a huge step up from the first ones I ever read on Quizilla (most of which involved Draco Malfoy and the ubiquitous 'you'.

4. Warlock

Warlock First Year

Was over at Harrypotter.com seeing when OOTP came out and i ran across fanfiction. i was shocked beyond anything i had ever experinced. then i spent a couple weeks doing nothing but reading them. now i try not to go on thoses stints anymore.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yea i was searching the interent looking for spoilers and rumors about the 5th harry potter book when i ran into this fake OOTP story, from there i read the Fake the 6th year story the dude wrote, and found the website to www.harrypotter.net for like the rest of the summer i did a lot of fanfiction reading, then eventaully i found my self in www.fanfcition.net.

I can't remember alot of the fanfic stories i first started reading, i mena i'm activly following like 70 storeis now, not to mention the ones that out of the blue get updated and trying to found new and original shit to read also.

I do remember reading this ne story its obne of my favorties, it's like deleted, It was by this dude the Magi, the title was Like Dark Aurors and it was about how this one dude, this magi who controls like one realm of the worlds of possibilites that could ahve happened(Ex: what would have happened had i tied my shoe first instead of bruching my teeth shit like that) yea so he sows harry 2 alternate realities where things could have gone differently and form the knowledge harry gains he becoem really powerful and starts teching his freidns and they become liek this awsome well formed army, harry adopts a magical child and starts teching her, hes in love with ginny voldemort dies, the best part was that he finished his story, which was cool as thats not often seen.

If you understood any of that then you deserve a cookie.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The first, and one of the WORST fanfics I have ever read.

The first fic I ever read, although the story summary sounded good, was actually fairly dam awful.

It was a super-power/Harry fic, where for some reason he became the avitar of good, and DRACO became the avitar of evil (dunno why Voldemort would choose him), and Harry ended up defeating Draco AND absorbing his power too so he was super-power/Harry x 2!

Yet even though he was practically a god, Voldemort still posed a major threat to him, and he ended up facing a horde of Dementors and conjured a phoenix patronus like 20 stories high, which vanquished the Dementors AND sapped Harry of all of his god-like powers for good.

At this point I stopped reading it.

7. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

The first one I read featured an American-Transfer-Student Mary-Sue. Lemme find it real quick... The Sect of the Serpent.

8. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Same here. I first read a crappy American Exchange Student Mary-Sue story off of Quizilla. So first I got hooked on those scary romance stories, then the ones on HarryPotterFanFiction.com, then I finally discovered FanFiction.Net and finally found the light. Never want to go back to those other places again.

9. mournthewicked

mournthewicked Mistress

I got hooked on fanfiction before Harry Potter ever came out.

We're not going there.

10. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

First, when i was a little boy in 7th grade, i went to naruto-fan.com, and read in the forums ff's, there somebody posted a link to ff.net, which there i still read naruto ff's. at one time i was bored, so i began reading dragonlance and rouroni kenshin ff's, untill a friend of mine who posted an ff' there forced me to read it, and since then i'm an addict.

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ot, but are any of the dragonlance FF's actually good (as in Raistlin or Dalamar being the main characters)? I've gotten a couple I downloaded from god knows where and they were horrible.

12. Demon God of Chaos

Demon God of Chaos Seventh Year

i actually forgot ewhat the first HP story was that i read but i got hooked on fanfiction due to my insane lust for somethign different and since i've always liked reqading i looked up a few sites for soem stories and then i saw a link to FF.net and viola i was addicted to reading Fanfiction. and i'm almost 2 years a writer now and i have to say that it's pretty good to see so many people that seem to think i'm a good author.

i know i'm actually one of the worst there is but that's besides the question... or was that besides the point? i can never remember those saying correctly..

13. DGD

DGD Headmaster

It hurt to read that post. . . Anyway, I was on mugglenet and saw a link to a HG/DM fic and read about 5,000 of those. Then I read Earl of the North and got hooked on Dark Independent!Harry.

14. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I read Organ of Fire on FFnet, forgot who it was by, recommended by my girlfriend, who was a bit of a bibliophile and also actor, and still is. Its HHr, but at the time I thought it was wonderful. It was angsty, but I liked it. The story was well thought out and well written, and i liked it better than canon, and since them I'm hooked.

15. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

You know I can't even remember how I found fanfiction. All I remember is that it was years ago and most probably by accident. I can't even remember what the first fic I read was, or what it was about.

Oh well, it was probably shit anyway.

16. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

It was pretty easy to find for me i just hit up google :D i think i did it cause i was looking for something better then the books! i found some stories before but they where like probably one of the first fanfics on the net.

17. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I loved The Magi's stories too. Tried to re-read them and nowadays there a bit too cliched and full of romance (yes Ginny). But still very enjoyable and a great intro if you've not read much HP. Makes him a real super!Harry in a very simple cheat-like way that I almost envy. He gave him the background and memories of several other fanfics, including Barb's trilogy, and sloth's fantastic series too. The Magi's third story, 7 years post-Voldie, he started back up on a couple months ago, after a real long hiatus.
    http://www.fanfictionworld.net/hparchive/viewuser.php?uid=4629

As for me, it was a search for new fake Harry Potter books where I stumbled onto pdf's of Barb's trilogy. After that I found harrypotterfanfiction.com (where The Magi roosts), and a few months later I discovered fanfiction.net after having read just about everything on harrypotterfanfiction.com. After a while I felt guilty about reading everything, and contributing nothing so I decided to write. Out of guilt. Not exactly sure why I'm still writing though, as I think I'm over that guilt.

But mainly it was work never kept me busy enough and so I had hours to kill and the internet to keep my company. A few years back it was illegal movie/warez trading and lots of mIRC chatting. Quit that as it was unhealthy, and a friend got busted. Now my obsession has fallen to HP fanfiction. I think just about any other fanon I would have tired of by now, but damn HP is frickin huge. Oh well. Passes the time, when work is slow.

And btw, Anonymous, I want that cookie, bitch. Pay up!

18. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Pretty much the same here. At first, I was mostly downloading fics from portkey.org (H/Hr) and phoenixsong.net (H/G). I tried Schnoogle too, but I couldn't figure out how to download their stories using Teleport (at the time I didn't have my own internet connection, so I had to download stories & read them offline). I forgot all these crap sites once I've found FF.net, though.

As for writing, it was that standard "even I could do better" bullshit. It took me a long time to get started, though. Writing in foreign language is a bitch.

19. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

Oh, I found ff.n a few years ago, proofreading a freind's story. I looked around on the site a little, and incidentally found a link to Cassandra Claire's works. Hooked ever since. My first dark!fic... well, I took baby steps. I started out liking anything non-fluffy, and it grew from there. I now read under too many identities to keep track of.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Anyone remember that one where Draco is the main Dark Wizard and hes being eaten inside out by his new power.. Well of Power? Yeah, that was my first.