1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Zed's Challenges #1 and #2

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Zed, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Zed

Zed Third Year

I would've posted these separate but they're pretty similar anyway. I'd write these myself, but I doubt I'll get around to writing them and I have another, more developed fic I'm working on.

Challenge #1: Harry Potter 40k

Summary: Harry gets picked up by the Black Ships after manifesting as a Psyker. Hilarity ensues.

Rules:
    *Takes place in the 41st Millennium, Imperium of Man (durr)
    *Harry is a Psyker. Again, durr.
    *James and Lily were killed by Voldemort and/or servants of Voldemort, causing him to be placed in the Dursley's care or a Schola Progenum. The specifics of how he survives I leave up to you.
    *Harry is recruited as an acolyte for an Inquisitor.
    *No, Harry cannot be a Space Marine Librarian.
    *No, Harry cannot be raised/influenced/mentored by an Eldar Farseer, because they are FOUL XENOS, AND THAT IS HERESY. He can bed on later on, of course, should he go Radical (or not).

Those are the only real essentials here, but I do have some suggestions/ideas.

1. Voldemort and his Death Eaters are Cultists or particularly powerful and uppity Psyker Heretics.

2. Alternatively, Voldemort is an extremely radical Inquisitor and the Death Eater characters his own acolytes/retinue.

3. Harry's background:

a) James was a Psyker and Lily a Techpriestess Biologis (justifying her keeping an appearance appealing to most fleshbags such as James) OR a Psyker, hailing from a Forge World. Branching off of Lily's background, Snape is also in the Mechanicus and his relationship with her is more or less the same as in Canon. As for his particular leanings in the Mechanicus, go nuts. Moving on, as Lily hails from a Forge World, so do her sister and Vernon, Vernon working in the factories to produce mining equipment of the Mechanicus. This could also lead to using the Imperium/Mechanicus friction as an analogue to the Wizard/Muggle friction (although this does put a reversal on Snape's position).

b) Alternatively, Harry's orphan status lands him in a Schola.

c) Alternatively, the Dursley's live on some miscellaneous world that looks like modern day Earth, similar to canon.

e) Alternatively, fuck what I said and do as you please.

4. Since having large groups of Psykers chilling out together isn't likely, I'd suggest either converting other characters into different character types or just have them as Psykers that end up as Emperor chow.

5. Harry can either end up as an acolyte fresh out of being sanctioned, OR he can run with the Guard for a while to show off how badass he is and get picked up later. Really, this depends on how you decide to play his parents' backgrounds and relations with the higher-ups of the Inquisition.

6. As for actual Inquisitors, I'd suggest having Harry's immediate superior be Inquisitor Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody, who in turn works under Albus Dumbledore.

7. Tonks as a Biokinetic Psyker. A third time, durr.

Challenge #2: The Dresden Files 40k

Summary: Harry ends up in the 41st millennium after some dumbass kids in the 21st/22nd century fuck around with time travel magic. Greater hilarity ensues.

Rules:
    *At this point, Harry has taken down the Black Council and whatnot and established his place as a supreme badass, thus allowing this to take place after a theoretical end of the series.
    *Harry turns down any positions of political power because that's not his style. He does, however, try to keep any blooming young practitioners from doing anything stupid.
    *Harry has gotten older, wiser, and is entering/in the prime of his power.
    *His "normal" friends have died of old age or some other cause.
    *Harry will at some point punch/blast an Ork several kilometers.
    *Upon reaching the 41st millennium, Harry will try to call upon a powerful fairy to tell him what the hell is going on. He will be greeted with a tiny sparkle.
    *The Nevernever and such have been converted into the Warp in the last 38,000 years. This will take some tweaking of 40k's canon, but that's not much of a big deal. As such, the Winter and Summer Courts are no longer in power if they exist at all.
    *Since Harry is a matured Wizard with a powerful will, he can handle the Warp energies without going loopy and more efficiently than most Psykers. However, magic now feels "dirty" and "rough" from his perspective. How else this works out I leave up to you.

2. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I love that second idea. I'm pretty much over HP, but Dresden 40k sounds awesome.

3. Zed

Zed Third Year

Ah, that reminds me. Naturally, one of the biggest problems with Harry (Dresden) ending up in a scifi setting is the whole Walking Techbane issue. Usually this is applied to electronics due to EM fields from magic or whatever.

I prefer the following explanation:

Magic tends to gain power with age. It finds its strength in tradition. Electronics in their current form are a relatively recent development. So, the way I see it, magic shorting out technology is like the new kids on the block getting knocked around. Give the technology a few decades, centuries, whatever, to "mature" and get more set in its ways (and thus gain power in a more "magical" sense), and the technology will work just fine in the presence of magic. Considering most of the technology in the Imperium is centuries, if not millenia, old, Harry shouldn't have a problem working with technology.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

40k crossovers have only ever worked with very small amounts of 40k. Trying to transplant entire plotlines into 40k just plain doesn't work. Voldemort? No need for schola vigilantes, just dob them in to an Inquisitor and no more Death Eaters.

That said, your 'challenges' are so ridiculously vague they're more like plot bunnies than anything. Oh, and magic cannot coexist with 40k psykers. Ever. If ever anyone had an ability that gave them psyker-like powers without the whole PERILS OF THE WARP thing, they'd be instantly dogpiled by... well, pretty much every faction, both inside and outside the Imperium.

5. Zed

Zed Third Year

I guess I was too vague here. I meant Harry would be able to better handle using Warp Energies/Magic on a personal level, more resistant to demonic possession, etc. That doesn't mean Psychic Phenomena won't happen, since he's still bringing in warp energies that are more wild and violent than magic in his day. Also, since he's going to be handling this warp energy anyway, using magic will still have a traumatic effect on him (just less so than other Psykers).

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I had a strange dream last night that I blame on this challenge. I was in the 40k universe, and I was the Hulk. At first, I was a scientist for the Imperium, but then they found out about the Hulk and attacked me, and a lot of strange shit happened and I ended up on an ork world and they liked me, but I just kept killing them.

7. Zed

Zed Third Year

Wasn't there a comic arc similar to that? "World War Hulk"?