1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official DLP Nuzlocke Run

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Mindless, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Weedle line is common in Red and the Caterpie line is common in Blue. They aren't version exclusive but it's like a 90/10 split.

Also, Rattata is great against Dragonites so you may want to look after Seratin.

>_>

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Specifically, Caterpie has a 5% encounter rate in the forest in Red compared to 50% in Blue. Vice versa for Weedle.

Anyway, have fun. Going back to gen 1 is always entertaining. The dark times, before the special -> sp atk and sp def split and before the special/physical split.

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I don't know why I thought Red had Butterfree and Blue had Beedrill. I'm paying for it now, but I think if I can get past Brock, I'll be okay. Eventually. Somehow. One day.

-

At the very least, the thin line of hope escaping from the clouds is that Geodude and Onix only have normal attacks (pretty sure). So this is doable. As long as my Pokemon don’t die in the battle, then eventually I can kill them. But the means all three of my Pokemon has to survive to at least that battle, because by god, I can’t catch anything else until I beat Brock.

I must have hope. I must believe in the heart of the cards.

Before tackling Viridian Forest, I need to get my team of three to at least level six. So off I go, venturing into the dangers of Route 1, ready and prepared. LT the Kakuna has no attacks, but I’m sure it won’t be hard to level it with my other two helping.

After Otters the Pidgey gains a level, I lead with Seratin the Rattata. Context: I don’t go to the Pokemon Center between these battles. Otters is in red (or gray). A level four Pidgey pops up. I can do this, I think. I consider using Tail Whip, but nah. Pidgey begins with Gust, doing under a third, and Seratin tries a Scratch, doing a quarter. We trade blows until Seratin is just over a third of health and needs to make one more hit to win.

I’m not stupid, of course, so I reach into my bag for a Potion.

I find nothing.

Okay. Um. Otters is in red and can’t be switched in. LT has no attacks. I don’t have any other options, but I can probably live the next attack. I mean, I’m eyeballing the HP, but it looks pretty livable.

I use Scratch. Pidgey goes first with the Gust.

Seratin dies.

I hold my head in my hands. Ahhhhh.

Otters finishes it off and I deposit my dead Pokemon in the PC. My Brock strategy isn’t looking too good.

I heal my Pokemon and head back into the grass. Another Pidgey pops up, and this time, Otters is in the lead. They trade blows and somehow, I end up in the same position with Otters a hit away from death and moving second.

I remember that I forgot to buy Potions after Seratin died.

Fuuuuuu-

Wait.

I can run.

Why am I…?

I run away from the battle.

omg I could have done that to save Seratin.

Maybe I should quit being a trainer, I’m obviously not fit for service.

Viridian City Mart is revealed to have no Potions. Meaning I have to go through Viridian Forest with only Antidotes. Goddamn.

I train Otters to Level 7, and LT to Level 6 (which took ten minutes, fucking hell), and enter Viridian Forest. Instead of giving you the blow by blow, I’ll instead give you some facts:

1. Going back to the Pokemon Center after every battle is awful.

2. I’m blowing through my Antidotes like money in a candy store.

3. These Bug Catchers are paying me 70 cents per win.

4. The one Potion I find is way too late to make me feel better.

I make it to the other side, finding grass… Another catching attempt? Oh my god, oh my god-

No. I check the Map and I am 90% sure this is just Route 2: Part 2. Whatever. I heal up at Pewter City and make my resolutions for the year.

LT must evolve into Beedrill so I can Twin Needle or whatever move I get at Level 10. Otters should be at a decent level. I have a plan, but I need both Pokemon for it work.

So, with LT in the lead and Otters as backup, I enter Viridian Forest.

The first Pokemon encounter is a Metapod.

My eye twitches.

Literally one hour later, after killing every Kakuna in that damn forest, LT the Kakuna floats up and hatches into a beautiful Beedrill worthy of my hard work.

It learns no moves.

FUCK.

OFF.

After slamming Serebii open, apparently Beedrill will only learn Fury Attack at Level 12 and NO FUCK YOU. I’m done. I’m not wasting my time. It can be a sacrifice and be happy about it.

Otters, you and me will win this battle on our own.

We don’t need anyone else.

Current Team.

Otters the Pidgey. L12. Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack.
    LT the Beedrill. L10. Harden. (USELESS).

Bench.

None.

Rest In Peace.

Seratin the Rattata. L3. FUCK.

4. Seratin

High Score:
    Well shit. For the record if this helps you get a potion in your house PC, one from the store clerk in route one, one from the cut tree in Viridian city and one in the eyeline of the last trainer in Viridian forest in the tile directly in front of him.

Also remember that in Gen 1 crits are based on speed so if something outspeeds you crits are way way more likely. It's actually broken as fuck.

5. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Good to know. <_<

With only a Pidgey and a sacrifice in my corner, I enter Brock’s gym.

The gym trainer locks eye on my, and LT the Beedrill is suddenly up front against a Diglett. Whoops, forgot to switch. IF ONLY LT HAD MOVES. I switch in Otters the Pidgey, who gusts the Diglett away, and both my Pokemon get a good EXP boost.

Hmmm, I think, Maybe I still can level LT?

But then the next Pokemon dies with LT around, and LT doesn’t level to level 11. Meh. If he did, I’d consider grinding him to 12, but I’m done wasting my time.

I heal up, buy a couple more Potions, and challenge Brock to a fight.

No more play time. Otters is ready to go, and begins with a Sand-Attack. Geodude Defense Curls. My sand continues. Geodude responds. I go -6 accuracy, crack my knuckles, then command Otters to fight. No fight as of yet as ever been such a one-sided grind as Otters dodges everything, doing 1 HP a turn, until he finally slivers away the last bit of Geodude’s HP.

Onix is sent out, and immediately uses Screech, which misses. Plan Attack Sand is a go, and two Sand-Attacks in, a Screech lands and I yank Otters out for LT. This strategy proves to be a winning one, because every time a Screech hit, or Onix used Bide, I switched out and sometimes healed. Two minutes later, LT the Beedrill was squished, and Otters the Pidgey finished off the Onix and flew victorious.

I toss Brock’s Bide TM, heal up, and race through the trainers blocking me from Mt. Moon. Otters evolves into a Pidgeotto, and when I make it to the grass after the trainers, I rub my hands. As long as it’s not a Pidgey, I’m A-OK, and I prove to be when a Spearow pops out.

L6 Spearow vs. L18 Pidgeotto. Nah.

I throw balls instead of attacking, and two balls later, Chaos the Spearow joins the party. After, I go into Mt. Moon and my first contestant is a lonely L10 Geodude. Charmander death, yesssss. No need to worry about fainting it, and I welcome Zenzao the Geodude to the fold.

I take my two new darlings, and together we beat the trainers I left on Route 3, or at least, Otters waits patiently in the background to take over when things get tough.

Mt. Moon is next.

I would like describe all that happens in Mt. Moon, but the bloodbath is too violent for this humble thread. In the first part, after racing the Pokemon Center after every battle, I basically put Otters on the bench because he wasn’t needed. I have to offer a congratulations to Zenzao, for being a rock-type and tanking basically everything. Chaos always led, and when things got touch, I could switch to Zenzao to finish the Pokemon off. My infinite Potions were also handy, but my god, this guy.

I exit Mt. Moon stronger than I left it, pick up the Mega Punch TM, hit Cerulean, then enter the grass beside it.

Rattata.

Meh. I name him Seratin V2 and keep him in the party for an emergency sacrifice.

There’s not much else to do but go up, so I teach Zenzao Mega Punch. Honestly, I don’t remember this move past Gen One. It must exist, but I haven’t seen it. I only remember it from this TM, and I don’t know the power/accuracy or anything.

I wander up to Gary’s hideaway, and challenge him to a fight. On my shoulder, Otters the Pidgeotto is waiting.

Gary responds with his own Pidgeotto. Same level, same attacks, but not as smart. I lead with a Sand-Attack, and take the crit Quick Attack with a gentlemanly aloofness. Then it’s Quick Attack-Quick Attack-Quick Attack vs. Miss-Miss-Sand-Attack.

Pidgeotto died good.

I switch to Chaos for the Abra, absorbing dat good free EXP, and kept him in for the Rattata. Rattata led with a Hyper Fang. CRIT.

3HP.

NOPE.

I throw Chaos far away from the battle and have Zenzao finish off the Rattata with some Tackles. A ping sounds. Zenzao levels up. He wants to learn Rock Throw. I let him learn Rock Throw.

Game: “Gary is about to use Charmander. Do you want to switch out?”

[​IMG]

The Charmander dies.

It was good.

Current Team.

Otters the Pidgeotto. L20. Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack.
    Chaos the Spearow. L15. Peck, Growl, Fury Attack.
    Zenzao the Geodude. L16. Tackle, Defense Curl, Mega Punch, Rock Throw.
    Seratin V2 the Rattata. L8. Tackle, Growl.

Bench.

None.

Rest In Peace.

Seratin the Rattata. L3. FUCK.
    LT the Beedrill. L10. You were useful, congrats.

6. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

It’s been a while, but I’m feeling the Nuzlocke, so… Guess we’re back. In Sinnoh, with a randomised run, because I can probably break the regular games in half if I don’t put in some form of challenge. Plus, after last time and some fun involving Palkia on Cycling Road and Arceus on Route 215 (and bonus Dialga on 210, which was apparently one-shot), how can I not like the insanity of randomisers?

So, what did I toy with? A lot.
    Starters are fully random (and my rivals don’t carry them, but that’s because said feature is kinda buggy from my recollection.) Trainer Pokémon are completely random and will involve forced fully evolved Pokémon by level 35-ish because I don’t want to be spammed with Weedle in Canalave. Trainers can have Legendaries, but they are off in the wild. Meaning I’m not getting any, ever. As per usual, Pokémon are randomised, so who knows what I’ll find anyway. TM and Move Tutor moves are random, but compatibility is unchanged. Wild Pokémon hold random items, and all items are randomised, so that can always lead to some interesting things.

In the quality of life department, bad items (i.e. mail, berries) are banned as well, evolutions that would otherwise be impossible are available provided certain conditions are met, and of course, the catching tutorial is random. I’m also allowed to catch (but not use in battle) Pokémon that can use essential HM moves if I’ve somehow not found something that can use them. (This includes corpses.)

Apart from the above-mentioned technical details, we’re talking standard Nuzlocke fun: first Pokémon you see, you catch, duplicate clause on Pokémon you own and are alive, nicknames on everything… The usual. So, let’s begin.

After the usual fun of getting bumped into by Barry and trying to not look like we were about to do something stupid, it’s Pokémon choice time. I’m… Just going to let a shittily edited screenshot do the work for me.

[​IMG]
    (Top is the left Pokéball. Yes, I’m pretty sure I set it to random starters, not forced two-stage Pokémon.)

Yeah, we’re doing the stupid thing.

Beldum get.

Nickname later. First, Barry battle, in which I find out that unchecking the ‘Rival Carries Starter’ tab means that he’s got completely random Pokémon, so instead of a Totodile (as, I think, the Piplup to my Beldum-Chimchar), he gets a freaking Caterpie.

Here’s an alt-universe, though. Doesn’t count for the Legendary counter. Squirtle would've faced a Girafarig.
    [​IMG]

On to Sandgem, nearly die to a level 2 Mawile… Eh, ‘sall fine. Give the nickname Anduin to Beldum, get some more info, yada yada, run back, yada yada… Realise you didn’t buy any Pokéballs yet, return to the mart, buy some and find… Alexstra(s)za the Tropius. (10 character limit…) on Route 201. Level 2, naturally. Zappyboi Zekhan the Manectric joins at Lake Verity. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have Fire Fang because that’s the first move in the set, but eh…

Capture tutorial with a Chatot, miss my Route 202 catch because Anduin crits the Muk… I’m also running from every single one of those because Poison Gas. Let’s see if I can one-up my last run where trainer #2 had a Giratina.

The answer is ‘no’, but Ampharos isn’t a good Pokémon to see and I’m left running back because Static and because Electric is one of those types that Beldum’s neutral to. I’m feeling very glad that I didn’t impose healing restrictions now. At least I got very decent experience. The other Trainers aren’t anything to write home about, thankfully, nor are those in the Trainer School. On towards Rival-2.

Okay, Barry, we have got to talk. Caterpie in Rival-1, sure, but now a Weedle to start out with? And a Feebas for your ‘starter’? Dear Arceus, you need help.

Windsor the Bulbasaur is the next catch on Route 203, named thusly because of his escaping prowess and his royal pain-in-the-butt status. (Ah, old Alliance Onyxia attunement quest, how I do not miss you.) Seriously, 2hp, paralysis, and still no shakes on two balls.. It’s also at this point that I remember that there’s a whole bunch of Trainers to the north and a route to the west to explore for experience, so… Bullet dodged with that Barry team.

Route 204 is a wash because Pupitar gets critical’d, and Route 218 is a wash because Lance is hacking again and has now spawned level 5 Dragonite to fish up. Like hell I’m going to catch those. Good experience though. I try for Ravaged Path, but Mantine have a really shitty catch rate and this one doesn’t want to play ball.

Mt. Coronet finally bites, though, and I find Moira the Aron. Probably too slow for a Nuzlocke of this kind, but if nothing else, cannon fodder. Has Rock Head, doesn’t get Take Down for an age. Would’ve preferred a different Pokémon – Lumineon and Sandslash are also here. (As are Salamence, but I’m not catching that. And yes, we've had four available pseudo families show up by now,)

And, in true fashion for this first bit… Oreburgh Mine has a Shiftry, and they know Whirlwind, and I think you know where that went. Not that I’d want one anyway, because I’m pretty full on Grass-types as-is.

Party:

Anduin the Beldum, L11, Take Down.
    Alexstra(s)za the Tropius, L11, Gust, Razor Leaf, Growth, Rock Smash
    Zekhan the Manectric, L7, Tackle, Thunder Wave, Leer, Howl
    Windsor the Bulbasaur, L11, Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
    Moira the Aron, L6, Tackle, Harden

Graveyard:

--Empty--

Legendary Counter: 0

Right now, I'm really hoping Roark doesn't come with some kind of Fire-based ace, because that'll end the run. Luckily, I have a mine to crawl through and experience to get, so... Eh? I'm also amazed at the lack of, well... Anything good on enemy Trainers. The Ampharos have been the most annoying with Static so far, but that's it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Oment

Right, first things first: get a new Pokémon over to the north so I know what I’ll be working with ahead of the Gym. Back we go, with a stop in the Center to heal, and over on Route 207, I find a Horsea. Which is good, because that’s a Water-type, mediocre because unevolved, bad because level 5, and I don’t even know because it needs a Dragon Scale to evolve. I haven’t picked any of those up yet, but I do have two Electirizers. Eh, Water-type is okay and at least I now have a guaranteed Surf slave. Noxxion the Horsea added to the party, and I lucked out on the Ability. (Sniper)

At least I didn’t find another runner, as Kadabra are apparently also here. As are Dugtrio, and, well… I had Noxxion out in the lead. There’s the Nuzlocke we know and love. (Sodding Arena Trap.)

I make it over to Roark down in the mine in good time, finding a Moon Stone and a King’s Rock along the way. These might come in useful somewhere. Hopefully. I wouldn’t mind using a Slowking or Politoed. Training ensues on a variety of Pokémon that I would have dearly liked to use over a Shiftry, and it is with a trio of level 13 Pokémon (plus cannon fodder) that I enter the Gym.

I knew it. I knew it. I fucking knew it. First Trainer in the Gym.

[​IMG]
    https://www.devianta******/nganlamsong/art/484-Palkia-703709099

Unlike the last time, I’ve got a few grind-em-down tricks up my sleeve. Specifically, a Pokémon vlad rather likes, and who happens to know Leech Seed and Poison Powder. Of course, Windsor can’t actually get the Poison Powder off because Water Pulse confuses and flips against me three times in a row, but Leech Seed is enough. I even get through it without having to use a healing item. The other Trainer doesn’t compare, and soon I find myself at the Gym Leader. Let’s see.

Round 1 is Windsor vs a Shieldon on loan from Roark’s Dad. Can’t Poison Powder, can Leech Seed, and the rest involves a lot of whipping. I even get Roark to burn a Potion here, which is great.

It does know Taunt, which comes back to bite me on the next Pokémon, which is a Torkoal. I can’t Leech Seed or Poison Powder, and, well… Remember me saying I’m weak to Fire? This one’s got a Poison-type move to go with it. Switch chicanery time!

Zekhan comes in for a quick Thunder Wave, not eating anything for his trouble, before Windsor throws in the Leech Seeds again. The Fire-type is Cursing up a storm, but it’s Ember that’s the problem. It does over a third of Windsor’s health and burns on the first hit. More swapping, this time into Moira, who is underleveled, but I don’t want any chances of Alexstraza getting Burnt or Poisoned. Cannon fodder is as cannon fodder does. Though, annoyingly, Torkoal’s Ability stops me from lowering accuracy with Mud Slap, no Embers come through, so it’s off to the ace.

Which is a Rhyperior that apparently only knows Normal-type moves. Piñata, in other words. Something something… How did someone put it? Dismembering spades of death and destruction? Also, Grass-type advantage over the first Gym.

Into Oreburgh Gate’s basement for some items to pick up before we continue with the regular plot. Following that, I restock on Pokéballs and proceed to find Team Weed Galactic accosting Rowan and Dawn with an Oddish and a Tangela. Nothing overly dangerous, and I proceed into Ravaged Path, where I find possibly the worst TM you can have in a Nuzlocke. (Or one of them, anyway.) Normally TM39 Rock Tomb, it is now TM49 Destiny Bond. If ever I need money, that’s getting sold.

At least there’s an Insect Plate on the other end. And TM19 Brine. Normally, that’s Giga Drain, and I’m going to have to think after my next two captures or so if I don’t want to put that on either of my Grass-types for shits and giggles.

Also I’ve now got an Ivysaur.

Valley Windworks up next, which usually has that fucking Purugly that will ruin your shit in a regular game, Nuzlocke or no. Picking up the Pokémon ahead of the fight with the Grunts proves to be hilariously easy, despite being a functional mirror to one I failed to catch last time. However, it’s going to be literal ages until there’s any good moves on here, so… Might end up HM-slaving in the short term. For now, M(echano)Strider the Skarmory is picked up, complete with free Toxic Plate.

I’m not sure why this guy is a Grunt, but the Floaroma Meadow’s considerably roughed up after Windsor tangles with and defeats a Rayquaza. Rather handily, but that’s what a six level advantage and only Twister as a damaging move on the other end does for you.

I’m forced to skip training in the Valley Windworks after I nearly lose Alexstraza to a level 10 Togekiss. (It’s pretty fast, and has an amazing moveset right away.) Therefore, in I go, with a pretty lopsided team level-wise. Thankfully, the trainers inside provide me with some good piñatas. I say some, not all, because there’s also a Mew in here. Which, as I complained about last time, gives diddly-squat for experience.

Latios gives a bit more, and I'm just going to be thankful it's Mars's first, not second Pokémon. Two levels make a difference when its only damaging move is Psywave. Other moves are Safeguard and Heal Block (plus Helping Hand that was never used.) I end up playing musical chairs with my team for a bit to make sure that nobody is too low after Windsor applies Leech Seed. (It was religious at applying Safeguard.) The Totodile that comes after is a welcome sight.

One has to wonder why the fuck they’re going for the Valley Windworks when the local Galactic chapter has three Legendaries floating around, but eh, whatever.

Party:

Anduin the Beldum, L14, Take Down.
    Alexstraza the Tropius, F, L16, Gust, Razor Leaf, Growth, Rock Smash
    Zekhan the Manectric, M, L8, Tackle, Thunder Wave, Leer, Howl
    Windsor the Ivysaur, M, L18, Take Down, Poisonpowder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
    Moira the Aron, F, L13, Tackle, Harden, Mud Slap, Headbutt Erratum: Moira wasn’t caught in Mt. Coronet, but in the Oreburgh Gate.
    M(echano)Strider the Skarmory, F, L11, Leer, Peck, Sand Attack, Swift

Graveyard:

Noxxion the Horsea, L5. I knew I shouldn’t have named you after an add.

Legendary Counter: 4 (+4)

Lopsided team is lopsided. Windsor and Alexstraza are carrying this hard.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  8. Oment

Route 205 is now open, and after taking out the Drifloon near Valley Windworks (it’s Friday) for experience, I head north to find… A Drifloon. Oh the irony. Sylvanas is caught and added to replace Zekhan. The Calm nature seems ill-fitting, though. It’s at least not a Delibird, who are also here for good experience. Some measure of trying to get my team levelled more equally ensues, helped by Drifloon’s excellent experience curve at early levels.

Said grinding includes finding a Metapod with a Toxic Orb equipped. Some Pokémon really want to die. Also this:

[​IMG]

Rub it in, will ya?

The first Magikarp of the run is found somewhere near the entrance to the Eterna Forest on a Picknicker, and after Moira headbutts it around a bit, we head into the woods. Cheryl joins, and I run into the grass for the first double wild battle, which turns out to involve Swalot and Starmie.

This being Gen IV, Poison is pretty meh, I’ve already got one Poison-type to boot, so I’m not inclined to catch the sludge. (Speaking of, Cheryl has a Muk that just loves Minimise.) On the other hand, Starmie is a stone evolution and has a moveset that is best described as adequate for anything under level 25 and nothing more.

But it has good TM compatibility, including with the ones that you can buy in Veilstone, and, well.. It’s a Starmie, aka the most overpowered piece of shit this side of Kanto. I’m going for that one.

And then Muk just kills it. Thanks a bunch, Cheryl.

Healing after every battle is very appreciated if you’re trying to level something that only knows Take Down, I do have to say.

With all the Trainer battles in here, a Legendary is unavoidable, and Latias shows up, alongside a Chansey. Mostly same thing as before applies: Psywave is the only damaging move, and all that good stuff. She seems a bit more preoccupied with using Helping Hand on the Chansey, though, who then proceeds to use such powerful moves like Tail Whip and Growl. (Fun fact: there are no damaging moves in Chansey’s moves at the level this one is at.)

The forest is filled with a glut of high experience mons, so it’s no surprise that I get a Metang out of the deal as well.

Latias also shows up again, this time on a random Fisherman and proves to be a lot more annoying to deal with on account of actually using moves more efficiently other than Helping Hand. It’s the only one here, and Eterna is soon reached. Which means it’s time to head underground for stuff.

I get a Meadow Plate and a Revive after way too much digging. I’ll come back here on occasion, just to see if I can find Heart Scales. (Spoiler: I did get some in a later digging session.) Now, though, I have a Gym to go through.

Two trainers in, I’m wondering if this is the Poli Gym, as three of the five Pokémon have been of that family – two Poliwhirls and a Politoed. This, of course, is quite agreeable, as are the Normal-types with only Normal-type moves. It’s like the Trainers are tailored to my team.

Which probably means that Gardenia is going to have something nasty up her sleeve, because cosmic balance and variance.

The start is okay, with a Drifloon that is switched out after one turn for a Barboach. I follow suit, changing from Moira to Alexstraza, and I think I’ve said enough about quadruple weaknesses already. The Ghost comes back in, and since it knows Gust, I throw Anduin out. All I need to do is not drop below a quarter health, because they can have Aftermath – Sylvanas does, and so does this one.

Gliscor is the third Pokémon, and I keep my starter – on +1 attack from Metal Claw proccing – in. I have to switch to Confusion pretty soon after on account of Gliscor starting with a couple of Hardens, but either way, that was one very mediocre Gym Leader.

Continuing with the Grass=Water trend, Grass Knot has been turned into Water Gun.

How on Arceus’s green Earth does Drifloon have the ability to learn Cut?

The Old Chateau has Slaking, and I have an Ultra Ball. Varian added. Might actually put him in the party, but I’ve got a few more captures open in the near future, so… Let’s see what’s available. Route 211 isn’t going to be it, though – that’s a Burmy that is nicknamed Malfurion and is soon after left in the treehouse where he belongs.

A potential issue crops up at this point. One of the Trainers has a level 17 (thankfully, as it gets Psychic on 20) Jirachi. There’s a goddamn good reason Steel got its resistances nerfed in Gen VI, and without anything super effective against it on my team… This requires a bit of set-up. I sneak Windsor in when it’s sleeping from Rest, drop a Leech Seed, and Anduin takes it from there, coming through with two crits and an attack boost on Metal Claw to actually kill the Wishmaker in something approaching reasonable time. My reward for that detour is TM44 Camouflage.

Mt. Coronet is open here, though, and first in I find a Pokémon I criminally underuse but like all the same. Anduin does the honours and woos Jaina the Dewgong into the PC. I’ll have to decide later if I want Varian or Jaina, but for now, MStrider continues to be on the team because Cut and the Eterna branch of Team Galactic.

Which is apparently Eeveelution Central, with a Rhy- annex. First a Leafeon, then one of the Grunts has two Glaceon, for which Anduin is very thankful. Meanwhile, Moira takes out the Rhydon and Rhyperior who seem to have not brought anything effective. (This will change once they get access to Hammer Arm and Earthquake, but that’s in the 40s.) Jupiter is pretty tame, though, with a Tangela and a Krabby.

Cynthia wants to give me the Egg, which either I didn’t randomise or I hit a really low % shot. I’m assuming it’s the first, and the Togepi is summarily banished to a different box. Time to hit up Cycling Road.

Sylvanas nearly croaks it against a Toxicroak using Pursuit, while Jaina makes herself useful by obliterating a Dragonair in two turns, i.e. before I can get double Dragon Raged. (Or even single, because it insisted on using Slam and missing.) I then forget that Pupitar have already learned Rock Slide by level 20, but no crits occur, and the rest of the road is tame as I bring Jaina up to speed level-wise. Instead of heading north (after a healing break), I head east to the Mt. Coronet entrance because I’m pretty sure that’s where you get the Dowsing App.

I also find this unlikely duo
    :
    [​IMG]

Giratina’s moveset includes Dragonbreath, Ancientpower, and Ominous Wind. I risk Jaina staying in to get one round of Icy Wind off – Ancientpower hits to half, so I skedaddle into my trustworthy Godslayer Windsor. Meanwhile, Moira is dropping Mud Slaps all over Giratina’s face – in Altered Forme, it doesn’t have Levitate. This helps keep the damage down, and there goes the second of the Creation Trio of the run, eight Legendaries in.

One Exp. Share is enough, game, no need to give me a second, game.

I run into some significant problems on the Hiker afterwards, who has a Magmortar that burns Jaina on the first Ember, has Smokescreen, and even has Faint Attack to make me regret switching into Sylvanas. Alexstraza eventually decides to step on it, but it’s an uncomfortable reminder of my Fire-type weakness.

I get the Dowsing App, and the first – the first – item I find just next to me is a Sacred Ash. Thanks game.

Party:

Anduin the Metang, L22, Take Down, Metal Claw, Confusion
    Alexstraza the Tropius, F, L22, Gust, Razor Leaf, Growth, Rock Smash
    Windsor the Ivysaur, M, L23, Take Down, Poisonpowder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
    Moira the Aron, F, L21, Metal Claw, Iron Defense, Mud Slap, Headbutt
    Sylvanas the Drifloon, F, L22, Gust, Astonish, Minimize, Payback
    Jaina the Dewgong, F, L21, Icy Wind, Signal Beam, Encore, Ice Shard

The Reserves:

Zekhan the Manectric, M, L8
    MStrider the Skarmory, F, L11
    Varian the Slaking, M, L15
    Malfurion the Burmy, M, L13

Graveyard:

Legendary Counter: 8 (+4)

(I'm not kidding, btw: Leech Seed and Poison Powder make extremely short work of the Legendaries.)

9. Oment

Route 206 requires Cut, which means I have to cut (dodges tomatoes) one of my team temporarily. I opt to shove Sylvanas out for a bit on account of experience needed to catch back up to the team – she’s got the best curve for that alongside Jaina, but Jaina brings more useful coverage.

The first Pokémon I find is one that I dearly wish had been genderflipped. I found a Dawn Stone, but, y’know, female Ralts don’t work with that. It comes at a decent level and all that, but I could’ve had a Gallade with Crabhammer thanks to TM shenanigans. For now, Faerlina the Ralts is shoved into the box.

Wayward Cave has Xatu – one of which ruins my chances of getting one thanks to Teleport – and Gyarados in the wild. Good experience, but I use a few repels to get to Mira first. Built-in healing, yo. She has an Omanyte that’ll probably not get in the way too much. I switch to having Anduin out in front and proceed through.

And then I derp.

I switch Anduin out for Alexstraza up in front ahead of a Trainer battle, because experience and all. I leave her in against a Chatot and Aggron, because what can a little bird like that do?

Chatter, crit, dead. Oops.

As per the rules of the run, I am allowed to use her (surprisingly healthy, way to ruin the immersion Mira) corpse to bash rocks in with. Is the detour for a TM84 Hydro Cannon worth it? I don’t know.

I hook Varian up with Rock Smash and one of my Exp. Shares and go right back into the hidden area, finding a TM for Hyper Beam (replacing Hail, meaning Jaina can learn it if I so desire) and a Root Fossil, which is summarily resurrected and shoved in the same box as Togepi.

Through Mt. Coronet, a Cyrus meeting, a couple of Trainers, and I find a Kricketune that is summarily caught – and will likely only be used if ever I need to throw cannon fodder at something. Mai’Kyl, get lost.

Sylvanas counts for a cute Pokémon, apparently, so I head into Amity Square to get some more loot. And such loot it is…

[​IMG]
    This can be learned by Moira, Sylvanas, and Varian. The Ghost-type is the only one that works off of Special Attack, so… Yeah, we doing this, and with the power to rip apart the space portion of the space-time continuum, the Gym is the next stop for this merry troupe.

First Trainer in, second Pokémon, it’s the third of the Creation Trio. Windsor is already out, though, after dealing with a Whiscash, and, well, we’ve seen this song and dance before. No Poisonpowder makes it a bit more annoying, and Razor Leaf does fuck-all damage, but in the end, he is three for three* on the kills.
    *Okay, technically, Moira got the last hit on Giratina in that double. I know who did the lion’s share of the work, though.

If a Slaking (or a Pokémon with Truant) is paralysed on the turn it was supposed to attack, it’ll not attack and you get the loafing around the turn after. This little interaction makes a fight against a Pikachu take forever, not helped by Varian just barely not killing it and the Trainer carrying a Super Potion. But Varian can hold his own, and I shove the Exp. Share onto Moira.

An Ace Trainer’s Magmortar nearly trounces me between crits, burns, and generally a really annoying moveset, and then, once that is all said and done, it’s time for Hitlermon Registeel. Which, because it is level 24, has Explosion in its moveset. And Curse, and Metal Claw. This could be a problem. I send Sylvanas in, using Minimise to make sure I dodge the Metal Claws, but the thing keeps Cursing to the point that Sylvanas eventually gets one-shot.

Windsor gets off a Leech Seed, but is also one-shot by a +5 attack Metal Claw. Anduin manages to get the Confusion off while not taking too much damage from Metal Claw, but that tactical error of sending out Sylvanas first cost me her and Windsor – had I done it the other way around with Leech Seed, then switch, I might’ve been able to get by or lose just one. That’s three Pokémon in one write-up, ouch.

Mai’Kyl comes in for fodder purposes, Faerlina comes in because backup. I slap the Exp. Share on her as well and I suppose I should spend some time training because I did just lose one of my heaviest hitters.

A lot of dead Arbok, Dustox, occasional others, and an evolution into Kirlia later, I head back into the Gym. Where, on the first Trainer back, Anduin nearly dies. Twice. First it’s a Poliwrath critting Submission, then it’s a Pinsir critting Revenge. The Ace Trainers in here are going to be the death of me. Thankfully, there aren’t any left.

I decide to look through my TMs and find that Faerlina can learn Trick (TM48, Skill Swap normally.). I also have one Toxic Orb from Arceus knows where. Right now, she is too weak – cannon fodder. It’d be annoying, but if Fantina has a non-Steel Legendary, I can at least try to deal with it through Trick shenanigans. Jaina has Icy Wind to slow and Endure if possible to make sure Faerlina doesn’t die on the switch-in – or she’d come in after someone else has died. It’s a long shot, but I do not want to lose this run. Desperate times and so on...

I return to the Gym, finding that I had missed a School Kid, but the Roselia is promptly murdered.

Fantina leads with a Drowzee, which I don’t mind because Varian is leading on my end, and Faint Attack off of 150 base attack is pretty powerful. Even better: that barely doesn’t kill, meaning she wastes her Super Potion. Next up is Milotic.

Fuck.

This thing has Recover. And I don’t have any more Grass-type moves. And it’s her ace, meaning Sitrus Berry. And Water Pulse hits like a truck – 30 on Varian who has 105 health. There’s nothing for it.

I feel like a doomsday prepper caught in the apocalypse. Milotic uses Recover at some point after Jaina throws some Icy Wind, and Endure locks the move. Switch, Trick, switch back, wait, wait, wait, dead.

Jesus, this is the most bullshit thing I’ve ever pulled off, and I’ve Pokéball’d barely-damaged Legendaries before. It only works once, but sure.

Arcanine is in last. It knows Roar, which means that all my good plans are going to be mildly disrupted, but when it Roars Jaina away for Varian and then doesn’t repeat the Roar… Mistakes were made, and it falls soon after.

I get Stone Edge as a reward. I’m going to need to think if I want to have that somewhere – both Varian and Moira can learn it and both have very good arguments towards getting it.

First though, Rival time. Pidgeotto is a very Gary start, followed by a Tropius. Neither can deal with Varian. It’s back to Kanto after that for a Charmeleon, which I am less enthused about because it’s got Dragon Rage. I burn my last Hyper Potion to make Varian survive, and then the starter is revealed.

Knew there had to be a Bug in there somewhere. Ariados is, of course, no match for Anduin – it starts Night Shading too late and Anduin has speed advantage. Bye Barry.

The first Breeder on Route 209 has a Dialga that procs Metal Claw on the first two hits it lands on Anduin. Fortunately, level advantage matters, proving that I don’t need Windsor to deal with this Legendary. (For now.)

I get to dupe clause (Manectric) the first Pokémon I find, but the second is extremely acceptable. Arthas the Slowbro is caught. Slow as bricks, but something that can deal with Fire-types, hallelujah. (Magmortar will still be an issue on account of secondary type, but eh.) I anticipate this bouncing Faerlina off the team, but since I have actual fodder left… That goes first.

Okay. Okay. I get it. You want me to just give this run up already. But I came prepared for your bullshit!

[​IMG]

Faint Attack and Icy Wind means dead Lati, and two-on-ones are always good.

I dodge around a couple of other Trainers so I can get to the Ruins, and I hit the jackpot in the first room down the stairs with an Absol with level parity to the rest of my team. Aegwynn added, and for bonus goodness, there’s a Heart Scale here too. I clean up the other Trainers on Route 209 for experience, finding a Mew on the Pokémon Center Poké Kid (it be Tuesday - barely) and a Darkrai on a Cow Girl. Lost Tower is technically next, but I’m going to save that until I explore the Solaceon Ruins for Defog, so… In we go.

There are a ton of items in here, and as anyone who’s played any randomiser knows, this can lead to good things. In my case, I find a Leftovers that’s sure to come in handy somewhere, a Blue Flute so Sleep isn’t ever an issue, and Charcoal/Blackglasses. (Granted, that’s my second pair of glasses.) I can find uses for these.

Party:

Anduin the Metang, L27, Take Down, Metal Claw, Confusion, Scary Face
    Moira the Aron, F, L26, Metal Claw, Iron Defense, Mud Slap, Take Down
    Jaina the Dewgong, F, L24, Icy Wind, Signal Beam, Encore, Ice Shard
    Varian the Slaking, M, L25, Scratch, Faint Attack, Slack Off, Rock Smash
    Arthas the Slowbro, M, L24, Tackle, Growl, Water Gun, Confusion
    Aegwynn the Absol, F, L25, Quick Attack, Razor Wind, Pursuit, Swords Dance

The Reserves:

Mai’Kyl the Kricketune, F, L18
    Faerlina the Kirlia, F, L21

Graveyard:

Alexstraza the Tropius, F, L22. Chatter kills.
    Sylvanas the Drifloon, F, L22. Too caught up in not losing that I forgot a win condition.
    Windsor the Ivysaur, M, L25. There were limits to his power after all. One of them being the ability to tank stupidly buffed Metal Claws.

Legendary counter: 15 (+7)

I'm sorry, @vlad . I failed Windsor.

In more ominous news... I've played ahead a bit, and oooh boy does the bullshit not stop any time soon. It may be an artificial difficulty, but it's damn well keeping me on my toes. (Though, I will reiterate that the Trick chicanery is probably the most absurd move I've pulled off in over two decades of playing Pokémon games.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. Oment

Moira is benched in favour of having a Defog slave for the Lost Tower, but in general, she’s pretty much at the nadir of her power curve. Difficulty is starting to ramp, and Aron (and Trapinch) do struggle in this high-20s-low-30s area before they get their first evolution. She gets the Exp. Share on return to the party and will have it until Lairon.

The Pokémon de la tour is a Plusle, which is caught, nicknamed Thrall, and shoved in a box. There’s also a random Giratina on a Pokéfan, carrying a Sitrus Berry, but all it wants to do is to slow Aegwynn. I also have to avoid Destiny Bond fuckery when a Wynaut shows up in a Double Battle, but that is fairly easily done.

Route 210 has Valeera the Butterfree also join the reserves, coming with a free TM56 Nature Power. This is has some interesting repercussions, and I decide to put it on Jaina immediately, getting rid of Ice Shard in the process.

[​IMG]

This immediately works out when the nearby Trainer has an Azumarill for Jaina to bombard. There’s also an Azelf further up the route in a Double, which fails to work out when you consider that Varian is in second and we’ve had this song and dance in the previous instalment, except then there was an actual second Legendary involved. (Slowking’s good, but no Lati.)

After picking up two dozen bottles of milk, the rainy Route 215 is next. I get to dupe clause the first Pokémon because Metang shows up, but the second is a Weezing that proceeds to turn 1 Self Destruct and kill Arthas. Fine, I’ve used a Slowbro before anyway. Faerlina, get back in the party.

Cut trees mean I have to come back, but first I have to fight through the Pokémon. It starts with a Heatran in the rain, which is good experience. Then comes the Phione, which I tend to count as Legendary. And then come a Regice and Palkia on a single trainer. Anduin manages to deal with both, but sheesh, game, did I insult your parentage when I wasn’t paying attention because you’re trying to kill me.

Veilstone! Department Store! Randomised TM heaven!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is underwhelming. Extremely underwhelming. None of these are actually decent moves – Headbutt is the best, but it’s on a somewhat restrictive TM (False Swipe normally) and Strength outdoes it in power level anyway. Could shell out for Needle Arm, but I just picked up a better move in that slot, so... Let’s see what the Game Corner brings…

TM75 (Swords Dance) Brick Break for 4000 coins for Aegwynn, TM24 (Thunderbolt) Aura Sphere for Faerlina if I want to fork over 10000 coins, but the most important one is this:

[​IMG]
    This is normally Double Team. Meaning I can have Aeroblast on everyone I want it on. This is tempting, but I lack funds for now. I do foresee regular fleecing of the restaurant in the future.

The Gym Trainers are summarily told to fuck off by Varian testing his new Wood Hammer move, which may or may not be a placeholder for my annoyance I feel at this bloody punching bag puzzle that stops you from doing anything if you even as much as brush one of the punching bags wrongly.

Anyway, Maylene leads with a Noctowl, which gives Jaina a chance to test her newly learned Aurora Beam. This leads to a withdrawal after it sets up a Reflect, followed by Kyogre. Which does more than half hp on Varian with Water Pulse due to the rain, and because it used Scary Face on my switch in, I won’t outspeed it for now. Time to roll the dice on the AI.

Switch Varian for Jaina, go to Anduin immediately because Water Pulse crit, drop a heal on Varian while eating Ancientpower (on switch) and Water Pulse, sending him down to the red, switch back to Varian, figuring that the AI is going to go for a more ‘efficient’ move and be rewarded when Body Slam comes through. It doesn’t paralyse, and, well, Wood Hammer with Reflect up already did 40 %. This one without Reflect up does the rest.

Noctowl falls to Varian as well, and Aegwynn takes care of the Skiploom ace with lots and lots of Pursuiting. I should really get some levels in me, though – most of my team was about 4-5 levels under that Skiploom.

Drain Punch has been turned into Meditate. Great.

Dawn needs my help, and when I see her Pokémon in the double battle, it’s no surprise why she’s managed to get her Pokédex stolen: she leads with a Bidoof. Meanwhile, the opponent sent out a Ho-Oh that is, hilariously, also quad-weak to the Bidoof using Rollout. The derp ends up doing more damage to it than my own Pokémon. That same grunt follows up with a Regirock that Anduin takes care of.

Naturally, the first Trainer on Route 214 joins in on the fun with a Regice. This one uses Explosion with +1 stats, but there’s a reason I’ve been switching Anduin in on them. Then there’s a Heatran as a follow-up.

For those of you keeping track, that’s now five Legendaries in the last three battles over a total of nine Pokémon.

Varian slowly deals with the Heatran, and the Hoppip that is the last Pokémon on this trainer is an afterthought in Jaina’s mind.

Ruin Maniac Cave is technically a different area, thus I am allowed and able to catch Heigan the Hitmontop. A Pidgeotto is the regular Route 214 catch, and Onyxia is shoved into the box as well.

Training ensues, including a Raikou that Aegwynn murders in one hit thanks to Swords Dance, a Lugia that also falls at Aegwynn’s sickle-horn, a second Heatran of the Route, and a Regigigas on that same Trainer that Moira is extremely well-positioned to deal with.

Valor Lakefront means money. And Muradin the Shedinja. And a third Electirizer. And a Moltres*. And an evolved Moira. And a (slightly belatedly because I wanted Psychic) evolved Faerlina. Now we’re talking. (Except for the redundant evolutionary item.) On to the next Route, where Kargath the Scizor joins and nothing else happens.
    *Technically twice, showing up on different days. Only counts as one.

If I remember correctly, there’s a rival battle once I go south past the Pastoria Gym, but I don’t want that yet. I go into the Great Marsh, catch Neltharion the Vibrava and use the rest of my 500 steps to look for items that turn out to be two Fossils. I’ll get those converted at some point, but that’s for a later day.

Party:

Anduin the Metang, L31, Take Down, Metal Claw, Confusion, Pursuit
    Moira the Lairon, F, L32, Iron Head, Iron Defense, Mud Slap, Take Down
    Jaina the Dewgong, F, L30, Aurora Beam, Signal Beam, Encore, Nature Power
    Varian the Slaking, M, L31, Scratch, Faint Attack, Wood Hammer, Rock Smash
    Aegwynn the Absol, F, L31, Quick Attack, Brick Break, Bite, Swords Dance
    Faerlina the Gardevoir F, L31, Psychic, Magical Leaf, Trick, Calm Mind

The Reserves:

Thrall the Plusle, M, L18
    Valeera the Butterfree, F, L19
    Heigan the Hitmontop, M, L24
    Onyxia the Pidgeotto, F, L22
    Muradin the Shedinja, L28
    Kargath the Scizor, M, L23
    Neltharion the Vibrava, M, L28

Graveyard:

Sylvanas the Drifloon, F, L22. Too caught up in not losing that I forgot a win condition.
    Windsor the Ivysaur, M, L25. There were limits to his power after all. One of them being the ability to tank stupidly buffed Metal Claws.
    Arthas the Slowbro, M, L26. He came, he saw, he got blown to smithereens.

Legendary counter: 29 (+14)

Told you the bullshit wasn't stopping. I'd played up to the Veilstone gate by the time of the last post, so all the bull of Route 215 was fresh in my mind.

11. Oment

Right, Barry time. I trigger the fight, and he leads with a level 34 Pokémon – troubling, because it suggests I’m still somewhat underleveled and because that means he’ll have a fully evolved Pokémon guaranteed for his starter. I’m less worried about the Mesprit because I was going to see if I could do a setup and Aegwynn sweep anyway. Two Swords Dance and one Bite and Mesprit is gone after setting up a Lucky Chant.

The follow-up Floatzel gets in an Aqua Jet. The Drifblim uses Ominous Wind and has Aftermath. Politoed uses Swagger, but that only serves to kill it even harder. Not quite as problematic as I was envisioning it, and Aegwynn gets two levels out of the deal.

I can go do Crasher Wake now, but he’s got at least his ace on the wrong end of 35 as well, so instead I’m going to head on over to Route 212 to frontend the training. Varian ends up ending the life of a Venomoth, so no capture, but eh, can’t say I was overly enthused by that option anyway. I also find the missing pseudo-Legendary family as Garchomp are in the grass here. As well as Nidoking and Froslass.

Wildlife extermination ensues, except for the Bronzor population.

After getting everyone up to level 33, I proceed along the Route, which is kept safe by a policeman with a Lugia, while another one has a Deoxys, and a third one has a Regice. Keep at it, I suppose, except for the one with a Pineco and a Pichu.

The exact turn challenge is eight turns, which is easily reached because I’m slightly overleveled for the first few Maids and the last two send out trash. The reward is to battle once more against Lady Celeste – who happens to have a Mewtwo. Is this the Psychic Legendary episode? Regardless, Aegwynn does Aegwynn things. I also pick up TM80 Seed Bomb (can be learned by most of my team), and Gordok the Hitmonchan, which makes me wonder if I’ll be completing the triad. I probably won’t be using one this time, though last run had one be quite awesome in punching out Arceus. (Who hasn’t shown up yet, and yes, I’m invoking it.)

I fucking kid you not. I go up to Hearthome because I want to know if the gate is already unlocked – which it is – and I get in a battle with the reporters in the Pokémon Center. This is the separate version – up until now, I’ve only seen them do a Double. Pokémon number 2 in this single battle – and rather underleveled to be any challenge, but it still counts – is Arceus.

After that is all said and done, back to Pastoria, and into the Gym. My team’s level 34-35, which should be fine enough.

There are a surprising amount of Water-types here for a randomised run. Luvdisc, Slowking, Krabby in the first few. Otherwise, it’s a pretty tepid Gym. Let’s see if Wake can give me more of a challenge.

Vibrava is the lead Pokémon, which is annoying with Sand Attack, but not dangerous to Aegwynn. One Bite takes it out, and Brick Break wrecks the Larvitar that follows. Then, for round 3, it’s rematch time as – appropriately – Milotic takes the field. It’s faster, setting up Rain Dance, and Bite doesn’t do nearly the amount I was hoping it did. (To be fair, I was hoping for the OHKO with my +2 attack.)

Then Hydro Pump – which it learns at that exact fucking level – in the rain makes my heart skip three beats, but it misses. That would have no doubt killed Aegwynn, but by the grace of a 1-in-5, she lives and sweeps Wake. To be fair, I was due some luck, but Milotic are shaping up to be my archenemy this run.

Time to chase a Galactic Grunt and get my MacGuffin to move on past the Psyduck on Route 210. Pick up the Defog slave en-route – Aegwynn loses the roll of the die and gets to sit out – and head over in the general direction of Celestic Town. I’ll explore Route 212’s Cut trees when I also have Surf.

So there’s a story about the two running Ace Trainers (Double Team, if you want to be technical) on this route. They are, bar none, some of the Trainers I care to face least in Nuzlockes of any kind. In normal Platinum, they have a nasty combination of a level 36 Gyarados and Raichu. In Nuzlockes, they’ve ambushed me with all sorts of nasty shit before. Today is no different as their Purugly uses Assist, which gets Earthquake off of the Torterra. Thankfully, Moira lives and rather comfortably at that, but I think my point is well made.

There is also an Arceus of appropriate level here, but Varian gives very few shits.

After some walking around town, it’s time for the first Cyrus battle. Can’t say I’m too impressed with him sending out a Farfetch’d first, though. Gabite’s a bit more of a threat, but considering I was leading with Jaina anyway, I’m not too bothered. As for the third phase…
    [​IMG]

He kindly confuses me on the switch in, which I cure with my Yellow Flute. He tries to Swagger again, but I’m rolling the dice, getting a crit Wood Hammer through that obliterates the other Slaking. As a reward, I get glorious, glorious Surf. I clean up the Trainers on this side of Route 211 before proceeding to backtrack.

One Deoxys, a couple of Fossils, a whole lot of worthless TMs, a random Master Ball, a bunch of Trainers I missed on Route 207, including a Latias and a Regice, and some resurrecting later, I arrive at Route 219, which is actually new and thus I can catch a Pokémon. I pick up Sharptalon the Staraptor and Renault the Mankey a few tiles to the south. Geddon the Voltorb is picked up on Route 221. I add Rayquaza and Latias to the Legendary tally, and then it’s finally, finally, finally off to a place I haven’t been before this run.

Which, of course, starts with a Barry fight. All fully evolved Pokémon. The start is Manectric, but that is soon switched out for a Cacturne because Anduin is out. It gets a few Spikes in before Varian smashes it, and Manectric comes back, paralysing every single time. It eventually dies, while Jaina takes care of Barry’s ace Steelix and a follow-up Garchomp. Faerlina, lastly, nukes the Swalot into orbit. Onward, to Iron Island.

Strength. Glorious Strength. I make sure I head down to find a catch before I meet up with Riley, and boy do I find one. Really wishing I’d actually kept a certain other name available now, but I have backups. Tirion the Gallade joins the party, and I head back to Canalave to check a few things because I have a tough, tough decision to make.

Can I just say, from a metagaming perspective, that I’ve rolled the absolute worst natures on both Gallade and Gardevoir? Timid (+Sp -Atk) and Jolly (+Sp -SpA) natures respectively.

In the end, it’s no real choice. Maybe it makes my team a bit too Physical, but I don’t care. Tirion is slapped with the Exp. Share, given a Brick Break TM, and because I’m now somewhat low on funds, I swing by the Money Bank Seven Stars Restaurant for just that. This nets me an extra encounter with a Kyogre and Dialga on the same Trainer Pair. I then cycle back and use the Vs. Seeker for some free experience and money. By the end, Tirion is level 35 (up from 30 at capture) and I’ve made back just under half of the Brick Break TM.

Now, back in Iron Island… Meet up with Riley, who has a Charizard. This is somewhat extremely useful. It also nearly gets Tirion in trouble when a Wynaut takes it out and my Pokémon is left to fight 1v2. Emphasis on nearly, because Gallade in general are monsters in single player. Level parity is soon reached.

Add one Mesprit to the counter, and a Regirock. Thankfully, these have unlearned Explosion by this point in the game, but Superpower is the replacement, making a switch-in of Jaina a risky proposition at best. The Galactic Grunts continue to show up with Legendaries – Ho-Oh gets a repeat from Veilstone, Mew makes an appearance – but it’s not too much of a problem. Time for the Gym.

Which starts off with a Groudon, rounding out the Gen III Legendaries. The rest of the Gym is tamer, though it does have a lot of Omastar, which is annoying because I’m trying to train Moira up to Aggron. Varian also smashes a Phione into the ground through Acid Armour thanks to crithax.

Byron and I are on level parity and he leads with a Muk. I happen to be leading with Anduin, which turns out to be a pretty decent exchange. Muk may have Mud Bomb, but the first Psychic crit, forcing out Hyper #1. I do thread the needle when the third Mud Bomb also crits, leaving Anduin on 3hp, but 3>0, so it’s all fine. I do switch out for the Sandslash, though, which Jaina promptly Surfs to death. This leaves the ace, which is a Togekiss. Oooh boy.

Aura Sphere can two-shot Jaina, so I switch her out after number 1 and an Aurora Beam. Tirion comes in, procs the Sitrus Berry with a hit and Togekiss goes for Sky Attack. I do a quick switch for Moira and then back to Tirion to allow them to tank the otherwise super-effective attacks and a Psycho Cut crit finishes the battle. Ah, AI exploiting.

The Party:

Anduin the Metang, L40, Take Down, Metal Claw, Psychic, Bullet Punch
    Moira the Lairon, F, L41, Iron Head, Iron Defense, Mud Slap, Take Down
    Jaina the Dewgong, F, L41, Aurora Beam, Signal Beam, Encore, Nature Power
    Varian the Slaking, M, L40, Strength, Faint Attack, Wood Hammer, Rock Smash
    Aegwynn the Absol, F, L41, Slash, Brick Break, Bite, Swords Dance
    Tirion the Gallade, M, L40, Psycho Cut, Crabhammer, Brick Break, Swords Dance

The Reserves:

Faerlina the Gardevoir F, L39
    Thrall the Plusle, M, L18
    Valeera the Butterfree, F, L19
    Heigan the Hitmontop, M, L24
    Onyxia the Pidgeotto, F, L22
    Muradin the Shedinja, L28
    Kargath the Scizor, M, L23
    Neltharion the Vibrava, M, L28
    Gordok the Hitmonchan, M, L22
    Sharptalon the Staraptor, F, L21
    Renault the Mankey, M, L24
    Geddon the Voltorb, L30

Graveyard:

Arthas the Slowbro, M, L26. He came, he saw, he got blown to smithereens.

Legendary counter: 49 (+20)

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Had wanted to try a nuzlocke for a long time. The game is White 2 which could be interesting, if only because I’m not very familiar with Gen 5, and while I did previously start this game, I never finished the campaign (hence why I didn’t mind deleting it for this).

As it’s my first Nuzlocke, I’m going with standard Nuzlocke fun: first Pokémon you see, you catch, duplicate clause on Pokémon you own and are alive, DLP nicknames on everything. All Pokemon that faint are considered dead and unusable. *Except for HM actions. And all dead Pokemon are stored in the RIP box in my PC.

Rival: Hu Jass

Find Bianca on overlook platform

Starter: KOALAS the Oshawatt

Rival Battle vs Hu’s Snivy WIN

Bianca doesn’t want to let me leave, drags me to poke center, for my gifts and sending off, and then out to route 19.

Route 19 catch: His Fluffiness the Patrat at level 4, huh, who knew he gets bite at 6, and crunch at 18?

Route 20 catch: Gemma the Seawaddle (Apparently getting the layup Pidove isn’t such a layup during the summer season, at least it’s not a Petilil?)

Flocessy Ranch catch: Palindrome the Psyduck. (Would have preferred a Mareep, Riolu, or Pidove, but psychic type has possibilities)

Beat Cheren, barely avoiding casualties with Palindrome taking out Cheren’s opener so, I can ensure Koalas has enough HP to take a hit after a Work Up and finish the fight (barely).

Push on to Virbank:

1st stop is the Virbank Complex, where I pass up the grass on the outside, head in and straight for the deep grass. As much as any of the top odds picks outside (pidove, magnemite, elekid) would be useful, I have a better idea. In the deep grass, my first battle is a double battle, with and elekid (not a bad consolation), and a… Growlithe!!! So I immediately double team the elekid to death and soon (and 4 great balls later…) Jarizok the Growlithe joins the team! Arcanine has a real great moveset in the endgame, and there aren’t too many good fire options in the game iirc.

A lot of grinding later (which totally isn’t a pain with most of my team weak to the most common Pokemon in the area, and status conditions everywhere), and I ride ‘Drome’s Confusion and Jarizok to an easy sweep over Roxie.

And special credit so far to Palindrome, who I’d assumed would be either a HM slave (can learn Surf, Waterfall, Strength & Dive), or a backup to Koalas, but has come up big at both gyms so far.

Some plot later and I’m on the way to Castelia City, and following the plot to Castelia sewer. And since I’m stuck with the rival hanging around, but at least he’s my medic, even as his Sevine is useless with the many poison Pokemon we’re seeing. But he does make wild encounters come 2 at a time, which leads to me first encounter being a Grimer and a Zubat. So I immediately wipe out the Grimer, and welcome Miner the Zubat. As someone who started with Gen’s 1&2, I can honestly say I’ve never been so happy so see a Zubat. Finally I add a flyer to the team.

Up the stairs from the sewer there’s another patch of grass that counts as part of the city and not the sewers, so I make for the dark grass with the hopes that yet another double encounter can help me get lucky and see a Pidove (15% encounter) or even better an Eevee (5% encounter). While I did get the double encounter, I saw neither of those preferred choices, instead getting the option between a Petilil and a Skitty. So directly to the box goes Owner the Skitty, who’s redeeming features include knowing Sing, and being able to use high power Ice type TM’s.

Cue the grinding montage (damn Unova’s level based EXP system), Gemma evolves to Swadloon and then Leavany, and Miner quickly evolves to Golbat and then Crobat (there are an ungodly amount of friendship evolutions in this game).

And the work pays off as Jarizok, Koalas, and Miner squish Burgh and his bug types.

In the meantime I slap the EXP share on HIs Fluffiness and take a trip on the Royal Unova. 7 trainers later, a disembark which a nice chunk of cash, and a rare candy for my troubles.

So on to route 4, and looking ahead there is trouble afoot. Up next is Elesa, and my lineup is horribly suited for dealing with electric types. Koalas, Miner, and Palindrome are weak to electricity, and the only rock/ground move any of my team have is His Fluffiness’ Sand attack. That said, I do get the Dig TM on this route, and multiple chances to get a ground type before Nimbasa. These multiple chances are why after defeating Colress, I decide to take a risk, and avoid the deep sand all the way to the Northeast corner of the route, for it is now after midnight, so it’s Monday, and just as scheduled, there is the Braviary. His Fluffiness puts him out with a hypnosis, then a super fang, and we let the sandstorm do the rest of the work, and a few turns later, welcome to the team LT2000 the Braviary! In no way helps my weakness to electricity, but does mean I’ll have a backup option for Fly if Miner goes down. (As it turned out, my next encounter ended up being a Minccino, so I’ll count is a a win).

Still in need of a ground type, I head to Desert Resort. I slap on a Repel so I can avoid an encounter until I get inside the Resort as I look to play the odds(50% chance of a ground type inside vs 40% outside). Sandile is by far the most likely encounter, and I’d be pretty happy to add one to the team. So naturally my first encounter was not a Sandile…. Holy mother of god, it’s a Trapinch!!! His Fluffiness comes out with a few Hypnosis and a Crunch, and a great ball adds Eidolonic the Trapinch to the team. I immediately race back to Castelia city to add Eido to the team, and he’s immediately getting the EXP share, as I’m taking no chances with my new secret weapon for Elesa. Sassy nature means he’ll fit in with the rest of the low speed bunch that makes up my team, but the idea of a future Flygon makes it easy to look by that.

Repel’s in use as I search Relic Castle to save that catch for later, but I nearly found trouble as Psychic Perry’s Sigilyph put Jarizok, Miner (forgot he was weak to psychic) and Koalas on the ropes before I manage to finish it off.

A quick joint through Join Ave, leads me finally to Nimbasa city, where my freshly revamped team fights its was through the Battle Subway, the Sports stadiums, and the amusement park before taking on Elesa. It’s not a fair fight, even with Eidolonic being so so very slow. Bulldozes, Digs and Rock Slides for everyone!!!

Having laid waste to Elesa and her compatriots, I move east to Route 16 and add Cheddar the Minccino , and then move into Lostlorn forrest. I elect to gamble with the shaking grass for this encounter with some interesting Pokemon available here, and the encounter leads to me adding MonkeyEpoxy the Pansage. The happiness of the capture is muted when my next encounter ends up being a very rare Pinsir however.

I then turn back to the west and head towards Driftveil City. Route 5 yields Seratin the Solosis, and Driftveil Drawbridge sees Fontisian the Ducklett join as well.

The plot then leads my up into the Plasma current vs Vintage fight which is boring, but the result is exciting as Rood gives me a Zorua (un-nameable). I slap the EXP Share on my newest member, and shuffle my team to take aim at what my be the easiest gym type matchup I’m going to see for the entire game. From the main group alone, Koalas, Palindrome, Miner, and Gemma all have super effective attacks to take on Clay’s ground type. So to make a long story short, we had to take an elevator back to the surface after we battled, because that’s how badly I buried him.

Clay then drags me to PWT, where I brush off all challengers, and then the plot drags me to the Plasma frigate, where everything goes smoothly (outside of a close call with Eidolonic as the Plasma grunts took dead aim at him while ignoring Cheren’s Pokemon in a double battle).

Current team:

Koalas the Dewott L34
    Miner the Crobat L33
    Eidolonic the Trapinch L34
    Jarizok the Growlithe L33
    Gemma the Leavanny L33
    Zoroark (N’s) L32

Box:
    Palindrome the Golduck L33
    His Fluffiness the Watchog L 23
    Owner the Skitty L16
    Cheddar the Minccino L23
    MonkeyEpoxy the Pansage L22
    Fontisian the Ducklett L24
    LT2000 the Braviary L26
    Seratin the Solosis L 21

Graveyard:

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Are we cool with EXP Shares on Nuzlocke runs?

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I couldn't even play Kalos or Alola without it now. Saves so much boring grind time. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned.

Though, if you do keep it on all the time you'll significantly overlevel the game's content as a matter of course and remove a lot of the challenge involved.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. Oment

Keep an eye on story battles (rivals, bosses of the various villainous team appearances, Totem Pokémon, yada), turn it off if you're more than [insert arbitrary limit] over their highest level Pokémon, turn it on once you're at [insert second arbitrary limit] on another boss fight. (I use +2 and -2, assuming my team is somewhat equally levelled, going to +/- 3 after the post seventh badge Team showdown. If I use it at all at that point.)

In my experience, Kalos was doable with very limited use of the share, Alola wanted it more to cut down on grinds.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    Another option people use is permanently hamstringing yourself. Stick a useless TM move as the fourth slot on each team member's movement and play with experience share on. There's claims that it's not as big a hamstring as you would think though and that it takes some of the fun out of the game.

17. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I’ve always wanted to be a growlithe!

18. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

FWIW I've just been using to limit grinding time. I've intentionally not let myself get more than a level beyond the gym leaders. White 2's EXP system is frustrating (if you're more than a couple of levels stronger than the wild Pokemon, EXP gained plumets), so using the EXP share is mainly my way of counteract that

19. Miner

Miner Order Member

I feel like I've been a flying Pokemon every time I feature which is incredibly weird when you consider that I'm a Miner.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

All those snazzy type-based uniforms you can buy in Sword have me wanting to try doing a monotype run. Preferably not anything used by the Gym Leaders already in the game though.