1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Good Warhammer 40k stories

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Archinist, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

What the title says: can you put a link to any good Warhammer 40k fanfics you've read?

2. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I like to play 40K, but I am not a huge fan of the books and never got into the fanfiction.

I can tell you that there are a decent amount of stories or quests over at SB/SV.

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't really know of many.

Hiver is currently writing one where he wakes up in 40k and is found in a cryopod by an Inquisitor. Hiver fics are normally decent enough, with a roughly 1K update every two days.

Andoriol started writing one on QQ, but pretty sure it's now abandoned. There was a lengthy torture scene, and most responses after that were 'what the fuck Andoriol?', which I think killed inspiration, so there's only one or two further chapters.

StrangerOrders is writing a 30K Primarch SI. I put a post in Almost Recd on it

Death Korps of Justice is about a Krieger who wakes up in Teen Titans, I think. I've not been reading updates for a few months, so I'm a way behind.

Love and Krieg is definitely worth mentioning, about a civvie and a Death Korps woman. The spin-off is also worth a read. Terranis holds.

There's a RWBY crossover in the library, where Yang becomes a member of the IG, but I didn't get far because I hadn't got far enough into RWBY at that time.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

The Long Night by Durin on SV stands out. The quest follows Frederick Rotbart, the governor of an Imperial Deathworld called Avernus. It’s a fairly long quest, having started in 2014 and has been constantly updated. It’s not a quest in which the dies have been amazing throughout, if that’s something you fear. Durin is an amazing QM and the world building is insane.

Edit: Added link

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Cain and Abel series by Mike Stormm is great if you like the Ciaphas Cain series. Follows a female commissar who's Cain's protege.

Toyhammer is pretty great if you're a /tg/ kind of guy. Models come to life because warp shenanigans.

Norwest has some cool Titan related oneshots.

Confessions of a Wayward Son is my fucking crack as a Thousand Sons fan and player. Same author also did a Warhammer/Warcraft crossover where a space marine ends up in Azeroth for reasons. It's actually great.

Child of the Emperor is an okay time waster.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5460191/1Another Cain story. I don't even remember the details of this one, but I archived it so it's probably decent.

Fifteenth Ascendant is a story where the Rubric of Ahriman did as it was intended. Bit of KSons wankery, but also has some amazing stuff for other Chaos factions. The Dark Mechanicum segment in particular is actually epic.

A Long Way From Home is a Warhammer/Star Wars crossover where a small fleet of SW ships end up in 40k.

For Those We Cherish is a RWBY/40k crossover. A ship full of Lamenters ends up stranded in orbit over Remnant, so they start liaising with the locals. Actually worth reading, includes gems such as the following.

For some really out there classic fic, Shinji and Warhammer 40k is a legendary story. It's an Evangelion/Warhammer cross which is more Evangelion with 40k elements than anything else.

Hope some of you enjoy.
    @Paladin @Zombie @Haze

6. Aldarion

Aldarion Muggle

7. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Cool, but it might help if you copy/pasted descriptions of the stories for us so we have some idea what you're recommending.

Edit: That last link is dead, btw.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. Midnighter13

Midnighter13 Squib

Bastard Son is about former chaos marine who ends up in SW roughly between Episodes 1&2. Its a bit of a romp, and I found it fun.
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/bastard-son-star-wars-40k.706819/

The Phoenician of Blood and Fire is a 40k/ASOIF crossover where a Primarch ends up being adopted by the Targaryens just before Robert's rebellion. Most of the story is currently set around Essos, but that will probably be changing soon. There are also flash forwards to when the main character rejoins the Imperium and his legion. They are only snippets, but help a lot with world building.
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-phoenician-of-blood-and-fire-40k-asoiaf.564065/

9. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I remember enjoying a series about a member of a Imperial Guard Penal Battalion slowly working his way up the ranks. Sort of similar to the Richard Sharpe series in a way. It's been a while since I've read them though and realising when they were published makes me feel old. The third is unfinished as the author was contemplating doing a rewrite but then disappeared.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2800751/1/Better-the-Daemon-You-Know-Part-1
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3246413/1/Better-the-Daemon-You-Know-Part-2
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3528927/1/Better-the-Daemon-You-Know-Part-3

10. Warhawk_1

Warhawk_1 Squib

Redstar of Ice & Fire is a What-If where Angron instead grows up as the baseborn brother of Brienne from ASOIAF.

It's on Spacebattles and SV.

11. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I'm amazed that That Which is Forbidden by Tilthanial hasn't been suggested. I recced it a while ago in the other fandom review board, and it's easily Black Library worthy.

I also recced Living to Die by Vengeful Soldier [HERE]. It's not as good as That Which is Forbidden, but I'd still put it on a similar level to something like Cain and Abel (which I also enjoyed immensely). It has a sequel which I thought was long dead, but which updated just this last February: Dying to Live. It's not really into its stride by the time you reach the end of the published chapters, however.

Finally, a story I have not already recced: The Tale of Tomas Locke by EngineerAndWriter. I was a little leery of it to begin with due to the planned Human/Eldar shenanigans, but to this point it has been extremely well written, technically, and has given itself a hook far more interesting than the usual 'Will they bump uglies or not!?'.