1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q2 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Ched, Mar 30, 2019.

?

How many prompts could Polly pick if a parrot could pick a prompt?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Daphne Greengrass

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. "You track a wolf, you track a dog - pretty soon you know the difference."

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Azkaban

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. "I saw the time knife?!"

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1. Entry 11
    2. Entry 4
    3. Entry 7

Slow and steady but at least I finally finished reviewing. I felt #11 was fantastic especially for the entrancing plot and #4 was a charming romance, and #7 had some good worldbuilding.

I really liked that all of these concepts were unique and all of them had some good sides to them basically. It's nice to see such a big turnout this time and I hope we can keep it up with the next.

Thanks to everyone who wrote for this.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

#1 Entry #4
    #2 Entry #7
    #3 Entry #3

Entry 7 is what I want to see continued the most, though #5 is a runner up to that particular desire. I could see both running for quite a while.

Entry 4 was my favorite on rereading for several reasons, but one of the primary ones is that it connected with me and made me think about things in my past that haven't always made me smile. But right now I'm smiling. Was it overboard and might I have changed some things? Sure. Was it charming and whimsical and as sweet as the topic? Also yes.

Runner up is Entry #9 for the plot bunny that it spawned and made me giggle about.

Actual runner up for the story is Entry #11.

This is the first time I've reviewed like this. I'm not nearly as in-depth as many, and I mainly go by the feel of things rather than the technical side.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Okay I read a few of these earlier when I was out and made notes - going to try and get my reviews up and finish the rest of them off.

I'll be tallying in the morning since I'll be finishing my own reviews close to the deadline, so that gives everyone a grace period.

4. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

1. Entry #4

2. Entry #11

3. Entry #5

So 4 and 11 were clearly the top dogs for me. I think when ranking them, it came down to the head space I'm in. I preferred the fluffy, humorous slice of life romance to the story that took an introspective look on a natural Occlumens. Both stories were excellent, though, and those are the only two I can say that I didn't have the urge to start skimming. Very readable, and in the case of 4 very funny, and in the case of 11 very interesting exploration of a branch of magic and the main character's though processes.

Now for the third spot, it was kind of tricky. 4 and 11 had endings that, while I might not think were perfect, I feel that they at least provided some payoff and emotional release. For the rest of the stories (at least the ones that I think weren't rolls) I never found a satisfying conclusion. So when deciding upon the third spot it's almost like I'm judging which prologue of a larger story is best--which story sets up a world I'd like to see continue.

Under that criteria it came down to 7 and 5. 7 did an excellent job establishing the AU in a quick and efficient manner, but as the story moved on it just seemed to lose steam. With 5, it was the opposite. I didn't find the opening very strong, but as the fic comes into its own and gets into some of the magical research I really started digging it. That's why five gets the bump, I think, because it may have started on shakier ground but towards the end I really wanted it to continue.

5. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

So the top two stories are very easy to identify, but much harder to rank among themselves. Third place is well-removed from those two in my estimation, but I think it probably has the best bones of all the remaining stories.
    1. Entry 11 - Kudos, well done.
    2. Entry 4 - If I'm honest, I enjoyed this the most. I do think 11 was probably executed a shade more skillfully though.
    3. Entry 3 - As I said, concept, reasonable length, and decent fundamentals saw this through. Plenty of room to improve, though!
    Doing this in 8 hours was a mistake, and it is now 5 AM. I'm going to bed. Thanks for writing, folks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  6. Ched

Well I've read all these damn things on my phone and I'm trying to type up reviews and frankly I'm a bit frustrated. I always do my reviewing as a "stream of consciousness" style review and add my thoughts as I go. Not doing that is screwing with me.

If I haven't managed by lunch then you'll just all have to get my reviews late and I won't get to vote, since we do want to tally up.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

1. 11 -
    2. 4
    3. 7

I have 2 more reviews to write, I've read them but I will finish up writing tomorrow.

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You make me sad.

9. Ched

And the winner is Entry #11! With #4 as the Runner-Up! Congratulations to both contestants!

Someone check my math just in case, but I think it's settled! Honorable mention there to entry #7 as well, though no prize for you still had a good showing.

Also I offer my apologies for never getting my reviews up. Typically I review as I read (literally with a review box open on one monitor to type in as I read on the other monitor) and for a variety of reasons I won't go into that didn't happen. So when I tried to start typing up the notes I read into reviews I couldn't remember details, went back to try and find them, and just... yeah. It didn't happen.

But kudos from to all of you who DID get out there and review.

((And Sorrows - make sure to get your last few up yeah?))

DLP Comp 2019 2.JPG

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congratulations to the (well-deserved) winner and runner-up.

And thank you to everyone who wrote, read, and reviewed.

11. Ched

Not open for further replies.